★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ideas for the App Store to make it Better!

10-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Ideas for the App Store to make it Better!

Hey,
I have some great ideas(in my opinion)for the app store. Here they are:

1) Screenshots don't work for me when getting a game. I need to go online and find a video before I even consider purchasing it. The devs should post a gameplay video in their app window if it is a game along with the screenshots so we don't have to go online.

2) Maybe some links to all websites that have reviewed it already.

3) I love Toy Bot, however, by the end of the trilogy I will have spent over $10 on their games. I wish devs could email you a code for so much off the next episode since you already have the previous one. This could also work, say you get Bugdom and Pangea offers you 50% off nanosaur.

4)This is an interesting idea. Say there is a big release game in a week or two like Rolando for 10 bucks. The dev could release it that week or two early but only in a version 0.5 or something and for a discount, say $7. It would just have a countdown to the app, and on the release date, you get a free update to get the whole game, and you saved $3. It would be a risk because you couldn't read reviews yet, or you might save.

5) One more thing, that I would want even more than these other things, the ability to play the game for about 30 minutes to an hour trial for free before it erases itself from the device. I know you do this with computer games so maybe here, I don't know

Are these ideas feasible, how do the developers feel about these, do you have any other ideas?
10-27-2008, 10:15 AM
There needs to be a place to enter codes for sure. This could be used for developers giving it out free to their friends, discounts for people that bought previous titles from the same dev, and just random discounts on apps.

Price protection - we need a minimum of a three day price protection plan so that if you buy an app today for $10 and tomorrow it's $2, you don't get hosed. It is almost stupid to buy an app on day one, as you know it will be discounted shortly.

The reviews should list the review date and for which version of the app is being reviewed.

10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
great idea about price protection! I hate it when that happens!
10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Wow - I'm surprised that nobody else has thought of these great ideas!

I'm assuming that you haven't done a search, but all of this has been discussed before. The fact of the matter is that Apple controls the approval and distribution of apps. And Apple has decided to set up the AppStore in the manner in which it has done so. The devs cannot display a video on the AppStore. I have seen some devs put quotes from different reviewers, so that has been done already. I'm not sure if Apple will allow links to reviews to be posted. It is not possible to provide a discount for individuals who have purchased other apps, but the apps that you point to (Nanosaur), was already offered at a discount. Also, Apple will not allow a trial game to be submitted that expires after a certain amount of time.

You should be providing this feedback to Apple, as Apple is the only one who can make these changes. I am fine with seeing the screenshots, and videos are usually provided by the developers on the developer's site (and such link is provided in the AppStore). With respect to trial games, most games have a Lite version for free, so you can get that and purchase the full version if you like the trial version. I am fine with that method.

So now you can search for the AppStore feedback at Apple's site and submit your feedback.
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
They should probably put some controls in to prevent the price yoyoing some devs have been doing. It's one thing to have a sale, but some of them seem to change the price every other day (biiball for example). Maybe let the price drop and go back up and then put a freeze on the price for 2 weeks.

And I'll second the trial idea. Since there are no refunds, I'll think twice before buying something since I've gotten stuck with my fair share of lemons. Can't count on word of mouth either as my tastes are apparently a lot different than the masses.
10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
vandy, they could do discounts if they wanted to. At starbucks you can get a card for a specific song each week. You enter the code, however, you can on,y get that specific song, not another. They could email you the codes. (I only used Pangea as an example, I know they are on sale now) Lite versions, I don't know, I just don't like them. I have never bought the full version of the game after a lite version. I can't explain it, maybe it's that they are not on the apps I would like to try, but don't want to risk it. Apple could make a feature to timebomb if they wanted to. What's the negative for them? I don't know, maybe I'll write to Apple, the App Store has so much potential sigh...
10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Those are some pretty neat ideas! I would also like to see:

1) Interactive iPhone simulator instead of screenshots (try before you buy)

2) A few moderators for each country who can delete stupid reviews

3) Free versions of games not listed as a standalone app. Instead there is a "Trial" button under the "Buy Now" link on the full apps page.
10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to Renare
Having some type of price protection would seriously be awesome. I bet there would be more money flowing through the app store as well. I know I would be more likely to purchase a game if I had say a week or so insurance that I won't miss out on a sale price.
10-27-2008, 11:29 AM
You are 100% correct with respect to what Apple could or even should do. The fact of the matter is that Apple has been less than impressive in a lot of ways with respect to the iPhone (and I owned the first generation and currently own the 3G model). It has not provided many basic smartphone features, and it has not allowed third-party developers to provide such features, many of which are available on jailbroken phones.

With respect to the AppStore, Apple could do much more, but it has chosen not to do so. I honestly don't understand their way of doing business, but it makes them plenty of money!! Hopefully the increased competition from Android and RIM will force Apple to provide those basic smartphone features (an MMS app, a Flash app, cut/paste, a much better camera app, a video recorder app, a GOOD voice dialer app, bluetooth profiles (A2DP and OBEX), etc.). We shouldn't have to pay for these features, but I would even be willing to pay if Apple would provide these features as a "software upgrade" option. Also, hopefully it will provide better distribution options in the AppStore. It has changed a few things (like permitting user comments only from individuals who purchased an app), but it has a long way to go! But it has not listened to plenty of user requests. Hopefully that will change! (fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLDROFHLA View Post
vandy, they could do discounts if they wanted to. At starbucks you can get a card for a specific song each week. You enter the code, however, you can on,y get that specific song, not another. They could email you the codes. (I only used Pangea as an example, I know they are on sale now) Lite versions, I don't know, I just don't like them. I have never bought the full version of the game after a lite version. I can't explain it, maybe it's that they are not on the apps I would like to try, but don't want to risk it. Apple could make a feature to timebomb if they wanted to. What's the negative for them? I don't know, maybe I'll write to Apple, the App Store has so much potential sigh...
10-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I have gotten burned with price changes as well. And developers do it when fewer people are purchasing their apps. So I'm not against it. It's like when you go to a movie on opening night and cannot use discount tickets. Those who get to see it and play with it first usually pay more. Some developers offer an initial discount.

The problem with price protection is that developers may suffer if their app is not selling and they cannot adjust the price. And if they put a price protection for 7 days and the developer changes the price on the 8th day, people will still complain that the price changed. Users will never be satisfied because they will always want to pay less.

What I tend do is to wait for a price fall on those apps that I don't feel are as worthwhile to me. And if the price doesn't fall, I never buy them - no worries. But for other apps, I purchase them on the day on which they are launched at a higher price, because I deem them to have more value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renare View Post
Having some type of price protection would seriously be awesome. I bet there would be more money flowing through the app store as well. I know I would be more likely to purchase a game if I had say a week or so insurance that I won't miss out on a sale price.