★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Moonjump
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 21.6 MB
  • Version: 3.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: This is the free single-life Survival version of ShootStorm, a fast-paced neo-retro 3D arcade shoot-em-up with touch and tilt control options.

Carve a circle as the enemies fly out at you, twisting and turning. Automatic shooting keeps the controls simple and the action fluid.

ShootStorm is a universal app compatible with everything that can run iOS games, and makes full use of retina displays.

Aim for the top of the Game Center high score table as you progress through the 40 achievements that reward your success.

Enjoy the screenshots, but they do not do ShootStorm Survival justice, movement brings the game to life.

Moonjump's comments:
TiltStorm Survival is the free version of TiltStorm. Originally there were only tilt controls, hence the name, but after feedback virtual control options have been added and made default.

Shooting is automatic, so you only have to move your finger around the dial to move the ship Tempest style in a circle. There are left and right handed options, plus the original tilt as the third way.

The Survival version only has 1 life per game and adverts (which don't get in the way of the gameplay), but is otherwise the complete game. There are 80 unique levels, but the difficulty still rises beyond there.

I have added TiltStorm Survival as a separate thread to TiltStorm because I think people are put off by the old thread name which cannot be changed. People really do not seem to like accelerometer controls.

The automatic app info below has not been updated yet with the latest graphics, so here is a screenshot:

Youtube link | Pop Up
01-12-2011, 04:01 PM
TiltStorm Survival, and the pay version TiltStorm, have been updated to improve the main menu and instructions. This is partly due to input from forum members. Thank you for the feedback.

01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
It's actually a pretty good game. Plays a lot like Tempest with a bit of Gyruss thrown in. I also liked the control system which works a lot better then I expected.

Mike Moore (BadBumble)
App Store Link:
Follow me on Twitter
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Just picked this up as I'm on a bit of a retro gaming binge at the moment and I love tempest . Quick question for the developer apart from the ads being removed what's the incentive too buy Tempest as it only has 80 levels where as this goes beyond that or am I missing something . Also want to mention this is a universal app don't think it's mentioned in the thread

Btw This is a really good game and the new controls you have added are brilliant and work really well

Edit worked it out for myself I thought this version was endless mis read and the difference is the amount of lives . Really good game so I bought the paid version

Last edited by Howlingwolf; 01-12-2011 at 04:42 PM.
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Thank you for buying TiltStorm Howlingwolf. Both versions of the game continue after 80 levels on both versions. It repeats levels 70 - 79, but with some enemies getting harder. However, nobody has got near level 80 yet going by the leaderboards.

The differences are TiltStorm has no adverts and you get 3 lives plus an extra one after each 10 levels.

And thank you Mike_011972 for your comments. Which control system did you think worked better than expected? The virtual control or the tilt control?
01-12-2011, 06:51 PM
hmmm gyruss plus tempest, ok I'll bite..

01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
This game is great. Total retro arcade style. I like the retina supported graphics too, great job! This one is a keeper.
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
And I also like both the tilt and the touch controls. Both are implemented well.
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
TiltStorm Survival has been updated again.

The in-game graphics have been tweaked, including an improved starfield effect. The big change is in the user interface, which in now much cleaner and clearer. This benefits the main menu and instructions, plus the score and virtual controls.

Here is the new instructions screen: