★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: hiive
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 18.7 MB
  • Version: 1.71
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.6 (7)
App description: *** TOP 10 PUZZLE GAME IN 30 APP STORES WORLD-WIDE!

*** 2ND PLACE WINNER FOR "2010 BEST APP EVER AWARD, PUZZLE GAME CATEGORY!" ***

* REVIEWS
"Creatures and Castles is a solid blend of dungeon romp and casual gaming." - 148apps.com

"The idea behind Creatures & Castles is an elegant one that can (if things go your way) feel really satisfying as you carefully time and dodge all the enemies in your path." - AppSpy.com

*DEVELOPER NOTES
*** PLEASE SUPPORT THIS APP BY RATING AND REVIEWING IT IN THE APP STORE. WITH YOUR SUPPORT I CAN CONTINUE IMPROVING THE GAME AND ADDING NEW LEVELS!

* FEATURES
Universal App (iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad)
Retina Display.
Backgrounding.
Awesome graphics.
Awesome music.
Fiendishly difficult puzzles.

GameCenter Leaderboard Support (Achievements coming soon).

* DESCRIPTION
Arcade-puzzle game in which you help a young treasure hunter steal vast quantities of treasure from a medieval castle. Trace a path of magical footprints for the treasure hunter to follow and set them on their way to safety, avoiding traps and the treasure guards. The less magic you use guiding the treasure hunter, the higher your score.

* KIDS THESE DAYS!
Young Timmy and Susie love their bedtime stories about treasure hunters and wild adventures. So, in the dead of night they tiptoe out of the house and set off on an adventure to raid the nearest castle... and find themselves in a world of trouble.

*TO THE RESCUE!
Help them in their predicament by laying out a magical path of footprints for them to follow, steal their ill-gotten gains and escape from the depths of the castle...

goiMot's comments:

12-18-2010, 01:40 PM

12-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Does this have Game Center support?

Game Center ID: Snooptalian
12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
No game center support as yet, but I will be adding leaderboards and achievements in an update soon (probably early in the New Year).

I'll be adding in new levels as well at some point (assuming the game does well enough).

Currently it has 64 levels in a medieval setting, but I'm also planning on adding a set of egyptian levels next. I've got plans for 3 other settings after that.

Andrew

PS. It supports retina display

Last edited by hiive; 12-19-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: mention retina display
12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
That reminds me. I have an update (1.3) going through the review process right now that fixing a sporadic crash bug that can occur on one of the later levels on a 3GS device. Hopefully it'll be in the appstore later today or tomorrow.

Andrew
12-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Actually, that was quick on Apple's part. The update is 'Ready for Sale' so should be in the app store soon.

Andrew
12-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Impressions?

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Impressions?
I would say 'ABSOLUTELY AWESOME BEST GAME EVER111!!11' but I might be a little biased. Having said that, 99c won't even buy you a coffee at Starbucks, so give it a try and let me know what you think

Andrew
12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiive View Post
I would say 'ABSOLUTELY AWESOME BEST GAME EVER111!!11' but I might be a little biased. Having said that, 99c won't even buy you a coffee at Starbucks, so give it a try and let me know what you think

Andrew
I bought it and played through the first quarter of the game on the iPhone and then the first half on the iPad. I like it. Cute artwork, good soundtrack, and clever puzzle mechanics.

The goal is to grab the treasure, then exit the dungeon, but you have to contend with all sorts of baddies and traps along the way. You guide your dungeoneer by line-drawing a path, tapping your hero, and then watching him or her follow the footsteps. Timing is the most important skill, because it's all about learning enemy patterns and being at the right place at the right time.

It can be a little hard to get used to the fact that you can't redirect your hero, once in motion, but that's what makes this title different; you really need to have a solid plan from the outset. You can draw a partial path, then continue when the coast is clear, but that's for suckers, because you don't get max stars.

I'm enjoying the game, as is my daughter, and I think it's underpriced by half, as a universal title.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
12-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Thank you!

I think that's a perfectly fair review. This is my first attempt at an iPhone game, so I was picking it up as I went along... Sounds like I at least got in the ball-park of what I was after...

If it does well enough I've got done great ideas for another game using a similar mechanic, as well as a sequel to C+C.