★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Music in games

View Poll Results: How do you feel about iPhone/iPod Touch in-game music?
I listen to in-game music all the time. A must have. 7 28.00%
I often listen to in-game music. A good option to have. 13 52.00%
I rarely listen to in-game music, but probably worthwhile including it. 2 8.00%
A game soundtrack isn't important to me. Leave it out. 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
03-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Music in games

Hi

I've been trying to decide how best to manage music in my games, and thought I'd ask you what you think.

On the one hand a custom sound track can be great. It really adds to the atmosphere, and is something that is probably expected for a top quality game.

On the other hand, I assume that most gamers might prefer to listen to their own music while playing, or not have headphones, and not want any music at all. In game music also increases file size hugely, and you might not like the music.

So how do you feel about iPhone/iPod Touch games including music?
03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
i dont listen to my own music unless the soundtrack really sucks. i always play my games with ingame music with speaker (touch2g) or headphones when im sleeping.

03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
I hate games that don't have any music at all, but give you the double-tap home choice, but then you miss out on the sound effects (eg Heavy Mach).
I love games that let you play your own music (eg geoDefense).
The only games that should force you to listen to their music (imo) are RPG, adventure, RTS, and puzzle games. This should only be the case if their choice of music is absolutely the most fitting for the game itself (eg WordsWorth).
03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
I often listen. The soundtrack better be good, though. This obviously isn't a problem for Tap Tap Revenge :P .

For an example of good (nay, EXCELLENT) music, I look to Bound by Ghost Monkey (the Zen Bound soundtrack), which I listen to (separately from the game) approximately once a day.

First game in progress...
03-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Custom soundtrack, with optional play-your-own-music button, definitely.
03-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I never listen to my own music while playing games (some of you know why )

So soundtracks in games are really nice to listen to while playing if it goes along with the theme/intensity of the game.

Twitter: @Zincous
03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Soundtrack is important, but letting users play with their own music with sound fx on is equally, if not more, important.

Seriously, that and screen flip are two MUST-HAVE features for any games. Apple should up the rules.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.