★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Has there ever been a better device for home devs?

10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Has there ever been a better device for home devs?

The iPhone/iPod Touch seems like a basement coder's dream. I remember back in the day there was a PS1 home dev kit, which probably made one guy a few bucks. With the iPhone it seems like there is finally a device where the little guy gets a chance to complete with the big boys, or simply showcase their talent to a large audience.

The app store makes it easy for all of the iPhone users to find and purchase games and utilities made by your average Joe (not to be confused with Joe the Plumber). I can't think of another device that makes it so easy for everyday coders to get their name out there and really show their stuff, and possibly make a few dollars as well.

Android could be next, but it doesn't appear to be a major threat.
10-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I think that you're completely right.

It's just that some might say there are some problems with it being so simple.
10-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Well one could argue the Palm had it. In it's prime developing for Palm was very lucrative, its SDK MUCH more open than Apples, and the website Palmgear would host your program, sell it, and promote them in a similar fashion to what the appstore does now. And for gaming, they even had Tapwave Zodiac which was extremely cool for its time but never caught on. That's all been pissed away by Palm now though.
10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
It's certainly a dream to code for, I've enjoyed it immensely. I think the app store needs some work and Apple seem to lean towards the big names in promotion, even though there's a lot of very good stuff out there by smaller teams or independents, but it's still very early days when you think about it. It will be even better once the "quick buck" devs have calmed down a little and we start seeing fewer but higher quality apps hit the store.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't expect the situation to improve from the content side. Quite the opposite, you're going to see a mad grab for Top 25 positions with gimmick games developed in a few weeks, priced at $1 or less.

I am, however, looking forward to the App Store improving from Apple's side with better application categories and improved discovery of content.
10-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Send a message via AIM to Magnulus Send a message via Skype™ to Magnulus
As far as making MONEY from those games, I think the iPhone is a revolution in many ways. Of course, there is the GP2X and the upcoming Pandora for freeware homebrew developers. The best of those get some income as well, either through paid releases or donations from the very grateful gamers that own those machines.