Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Art looks nice. But, I'll wait for more impressions.
Fair enough. I hope that if you do decide to get it, you enjoy it.

-Thomas
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 AM

Oh, and thanks Freedog for starting this discussion!

-Thomas
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Banned

seems great! this kind of games is my favorite!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 4.x

Default Game Impressions

I played this game and I would like to tell you my impressions:

Graphics are nice (in fact, I prefer 2D graphics in point&click adventure games), but they are VERY low-detail. However, the animation is very cool and interesting. The voice acting is also pretty good for an indie developer.

I really like urban fantasy worlds, but the story in this game is very childish in my opinion (comparing this storyline to other, similar storylines (urban fantasy) is like comparing the first part of Harry Potter (Philosopher's Stone) to the last part of Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows)).
Also as some of you mentioned before - there is no saving/loading option.

However, despite all the biggest drawback of this game is its length. I finished this game in about 15 minutes, and most of Shadow's Call is animation - the player does very little.

Summarizing, I rate Shadow's Call a 2 of 5 stars. If you like adventure games and urban fantasy worlds, I recommend to try The Train episode 01 - much better game.

Cheers,
GamerAdi.

Last edited by GamerAdi; 12-22-2010 at 07:53 AM..
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

awesome, the dev is reading the forums and seems to be implementing changes, always a welcome thing! :-)

Last edited by Fujibayashi; 12-23-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerAdi View Post
I played this game and I would like to tell you my impressions:

Graphics are nice (in fact, I prefer 2D graphics in point&click adventure games), but they are VERY low-detail. However, the animation is very cool and interesting. The voice acting is also pretty good for an indie developer.

I really like urban fantasy worlds, but the story in this game is very childish in my opinion (comparing this storyline to other, similar storylines (urban fantasy) is like comparing the first part of Harry Potter (Philosopher's Stone) to the last part of Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows)).
Also as some of you mentioned before - there is no saving/loading option.

However, despite all the biggest drawback of this game is its length. I finished this game in about 15 minutes, and most of Shadow's Call is animation - the player does very little.

Summarizing, I rate Shadow's Call a 2 of 5 stars. If you like adventure games and urban fantasy worlds, I recommend to try The Train episode 01 - much better game.

Cheers,
GamerAdi.
Hi GamerAdi,

Thanks for the feedback! We listen to every piece of criticism from our players, and each comment will help us grow as we move forward with our venture. Thanks for supporting Indie Game Development!

As to your two biggest issues:

1. The save/load issue is being fixed right at this very moment. Update will be on its way soon.

2. Your comment on the length of the adventure has been noted. We dropped the price by a dollar, so the game is now only $0.99 (or half the price of a cup of coffee!). Bear in mind, too, that this is the first part in a serialized graphic adventure (ala Sam and Max or Tales of Monkey Island) and the entire game will be much longer. You could also look at it as the first episode of an ongoing comicbook series, if you like. But again, your comments have been received and logged for the next installments.

As stated in a post earlier, the story was deliberately changed from a horror-driven mature audiences only adventure to one that is more welcoming to our players of all ages. Hopefully, as you play the next installments, you'll see that despite changing our focus in terms of age level, we are striving to deliver a well told story that will continue to grow and evolve. Heck, I'll take those comparisons to Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer as compliments, seeing as those franchises "aged" very well indeed.

Thanks again for the comments, and stay tuned for our update!

-Thomas
Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 AM
iPhone 3G, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeenster View Post
Hi GamerAdi,
Bear in mind, too, that this is the first part in a serialized graphic adventure (ala Sam and Max or Tales of Monkey Island) and the entire game will be much longer. You could also look at it as the first episode of an ongoing comicbook series, if you like. But again, your comments have been received and logged for the next installments.
-Thomas
Hi Thomas,
Of course, I realize that this is the first episode, and that full game will be much longer. But why do you think that episodes of adventure games are or should be short?

Small comparison of few made exclusively for iDevices first episodes of adventure games:

1112 episode 01 (price: 4.99) - length: about 30 min.

Save our Souls (SOS) episode 1 (price: free) - length: about 20 min.

Shadow's Call episode 1 (price: 0.99) - length: about 20 min.

The Train episode 01 (price: 1.99) - length: about 3 hours.

I mentioned only the first episodes of games I played. Every title is also a link to AppStore. I gave the current prices. Length is the time I needed to finish the game, without any help. I had no huge problems with any of these games, and I solved every puzzle rather quickly.
So as you see, not every "first episode" of an adventure game is short.

Cheers,
GamerAdi.

Last edited by GamerAdi; 12-24-2010 at 06:12 AM..
Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerAdi View Post
Hi Thomas,
Of course, I realize that this is the first episode, and that full game will be much longer. But why do you think that episodes of adventure games are or should be short?

Small comparison of few made exclusively for iDevices first episodes of adventure games:

1112 episode 01 (price: 4.99) - length: about 30 min.

Save our Souls (SOS) episode 1 (price: free) - length: about 20 min.

Shadow's Call episode 1 (price: 0.99) - length: about 20 min.

The Train episode 01 (price: 1.99) - length: about 3 hours.

I mentioned only the first episodes of games I played. Every title is also a link to AppStore. I gave the current prices. Length is the time I needed to finish the game, without any help. I had no huge problems with any of these games, and I solved every puzzle rather quickly.
So as you see, not every "first episode" of an adventure game is short.

Cheers,
GamerAdi.
Hi GamerAdi,

Thanks for the links. I have played three of those games (haven't played Train yet) and enjoyed them for the most part.

And thanks again for your constructive criticism. We will certainly take them under consideration for the next installments.

We are a growing independent company trying to create a whole new original IP, so any feedback, positive or critical, is welcome.

And if you're worried about the number of cutscenes in this first installment, as the writer I'll take the blame for that. Rest assured that there are less cutscenes and more puzzles as the story moves forward.

Happy Holidays,
-Thomas
Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 AM

I would urge the developer to mostly ignore the guy in this thread obsessed with quantity. I'd rather have 15 very enjoyable minutes than 30 frustrating ones (see 1112 Episode 1).
Old 12-26-2010, 03:53 AM

I agree, and looks like SOS has an episode 2 for 4.99, ouch, that's a bit steep. 99 cents for a 5 or 6 installment game with tax your looking at 7 bucks. I wish devs would just put it all together in a nice 5 hour package with 1 price so the tax man doesn't get to hit me so much. Same problem as legend of crystal valley, good game though!