★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: I never though I'd say this but.......

10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I never though I'd say this but.......

I never though that I would say this, but as app prices head towards .99, development may no longer be viable in certain instances.. This may not be a problem for the huge devs like EA and Sega who can make it up in volume. Sooner or later however, small devs won't be able to keep up with price drops. If we want to start seeing some really high quality games, were going to have to be willing to pay a little bit more than $10.

I mean, do you really think that Bioshock will sell for $2.99?

Last edited by BulletDev; 12-07-2012 at 05:53 AM.
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to Renare
I am sure that when some of the more HQ games come out, we will definitely be paying for them. However, with the App store still in infancy and there being no set expectations.... It is pretty much chaos in the App store. As the store matures and Apple makes changes to help progress the store, I think everything will start to slow down. Question is... How long will that be?

10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
The problem has also been that most games aren't worth more then $10 right now. Give me a FULL online capable version of Tiger Woods 09 with all the courses and I'll happily pay $40 for it. However, what you'll likey get is a half-assed version with one or two courses, a limited amount of golfers, and no online multiplayer. I wouldn't pay more then $9.99 for that.
10-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
The problem has also been that most games aren't worth more then $10 right now. Give me a FULL online capable version of Tiger Woods 09 with all the courses and I'll happily pay $40 for it. However, what you'll likey get is a half-assed version with one or two courses, a limited amount of golfers, and no online multiplayer. I wouldn't pay more then $9.99 for that.
Your right. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the future, we have to be open to higher prices for better products.
10-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Id be fine to pay 15 even 20 bucks on a good quality game.
10-27-2008, 11:40 AM
It's interesting, definitely. I'm seriously contemplating development of a game that will, in all reality, take around 5-6 months to complete. It's a big risk, and a big project, and I'm not sure what the lie of the land will be in terms of pricing come March/April next year. There's always a risk with such a time investment, that's for sure, but it's compounded by the general feeling that prices are low currently in the app store.

We shall see I guess

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarringtonSoftware View Post
I never though that I would say this, but if application prices keep going down, devs are going to make less and less money, eventually causing them to hold development. This may not be a problem for the huge devs like EA and Sega, but sooner or later, everyone else won't be able to keep up with the price drops. If we want to start seeing some really high quality games, were going to have to be willing to pay a little bit more than $10.

I mean, do you really think that Bioshock will sell for $2.99?
I've been saying that and I totally agree. On the other hand, I've heard of devs making a lot from dropping their prices to $.99 because they start getting so many downloads. If downloads slow down, though, it's going to cause a lot of problems faster. You could seriously compare it to the the whole housing problem here in the US.

On the upside, the app store is more addicting than crack, so it might just work out.

Last edited by NotYou; 10-27-2008 at 12:04 PM.
10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Apps will ALWAYS be cheaper on the iPhone because you CANNOT sell the app to somebody else once you are bored with it. And, to be honest, I am bored with most apps after a few days. Most of the apps that are graphics-intensive tend to stall on the phone. That tells me that either they are not tweaked, or the phone really cannot handle those apps. Some other points are (i) the developer doesn't have almost any distribution costs (I find $99 to be negligible); and (ii) the dev has access to a market of tens of millions of potential buyers. These reduce the developer's barriers to entry and distribution costs to almost zero. Finally, I can only play so long on the iPhone due to the fact that the battery does not last long, and I don't feel like being tethered to a power or USB cord while playing a game!

Overall, if such developer makes a great app, many people will buy it, and the developer will do fine. This is not to say that every dev will make six figures in two months, but some will (as is the case with the developer of Trism). I would never pay more than $20 for a game on the iPhone, not matter how exceptional it may be. The problem is that big-name developers are creating apps that are crap (such as the Spore app and the Star Wars app). I apid $10 for each of them, and they feel like demos to me. Therefore, I am not paying full price for most apps because I tend to pay much less for demos - usually, I expect to get them for free!
10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree with this. Especially with a market of users numbering in the tens of millions, developers (who make a really good app) can make much more overall by charging less. Those who make crappy apps shouldn't charge anything for them, but many do!

And since there are apps coming out every day, the developers have a short window during which time their app will be the new kid in town. So either they have to make creative apps (not another Sudoku or Flashlight or Heads/Tails app), or they will have to lower their price substantially - sometimes to ZERO. If the app is of good quality, that dev can then develop a more creative app and charge for it.

And, as with apps in general, some will succeed and some will fail miserably. Even big-name companies produce apps that fail. And the developers all think that their app is great. And it may be great for the developer, but users may not want it!! That is difficult to predict, but such failures will occur on the AppStore just as they occur on console systems. That is the nature of the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
I've been saying that and I totally agree. On the other hand, I've heard of devs making a lot from dropping their prices to $.99 because they start getting so may downloads. If downloads slow down, though, it's going to cause a lot of problems faster. You could serious compare it to the the whole housing problem here in the US.

On the upside, the app store is more addicting than crack, so it might just work out.
10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post

Hahahahhaaaa So f**king true

"Insert generic signature here"