★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Earl Weaver Baseball v0.99 is out ($7.99)

03-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Earl Weaver Baseball v0.99 is out ($7.99)

[App Store Link, $7.99]

Quote:
Based on the award winning Earl Weaver Baseball engine and ported by its original creator, EWB Baseball is both a world class simulator and an hours-of-fun action game.

The original game was recently named one of the 20 Great PC Games of All Time and this version contains all of its great features including lineups and bullpen management, in-game strategy, ballpark selection, pitching and batting, four viewing styles (from classic to 3D), "instant" stats games and a full set of commissioner's options.

Three league files are included including the original All-time Greats League.

Just a list of stuff in the game:

- full stats simulator that uses (what should have been patented) combination of statistics and physics

- several playback modes: old fashioned (Earl Weaver 1) overviews, multi-camera views and a 3D “Director”. Can also play games in a few seconds with no graphics

- The sound of the crowd, the voice of the umpire, the crack of the bat.. right into your iPhone headset

- Instant replay (so you can watch how they pulled off that triple play)

- full box score results from games

- game will ship with old time allstar league

- game ships with 32 historical and fantasy ballparks (inside, outside, grass, artificial turf, green monsters, etc.)

- will provide soon (possibly by ship date) league files for many, many seasons.

- game features full simulation mode, YOU manage mode (your team vs. the computer “Skipper”) and soon to be completed, ACTION mode

- First version features a round robin schedule, but the full league scheduling capabilities are built in and ready to implement quickly

- Graphics are from the old days… some work pretty well, some need improvement.. if the project does well, I’ll upgrade to openGL

- The Commissioner/GM functions are integrated in… from granting a day off to viewing reports of both historical and “accumulated” stats

- It’s just plain fun to watch games this way!

"This is just the first version for the iPhone… new features are ready or in the queue… let me know what features you’re looking for.. it’s an ongoing work-in-progress. Thanks to everyone for their help."

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

Last edited by salsamd; 03-23-2009 at 12:28 PM.
03-23-2009, 04:22 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308437098&mt=8

Woah 8 bucks for a old looking baseball game ( and yes I know its based of the old video game ), think I'll pass unless I see great realiable reviews! I like sports games and all and hope to see a good baseball game but I dont think this is the one.

03-23-2009, 04:26 AM
What a joke. Nice clean buttons and menu items, ruined by that pixelated crap, excuse for graphics. This should be free.
03-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308437098&mt=8

Woah 8 bucks for a old looking baseball game, think I'll pass unless I see great realiable reviews! I like sports games and all and hope to see a good baseball game but I dont think this is the one.
Gracias, el linko!

Anyway, yeah, ithink from the screens it looks "grainy and rough". The desc. Says there are 4 viewing modes from "classic" to "3D"?.

It also says that this was named to some top 20 all-time video game list.

I'm not willing to TOFTT @ 8 bucks, sorry.

I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
03-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Gracias, el linko!

Anyway, yeah, ithink from the screens it looks "grainy and rough". The desc. Says there are 4 viewing modes from "classic" to "3D"?.

It also says that this was named to some top 20 all-time video game list.

I'm not willing to TOFTT @ 8 bucks, sorry.
Yeah, his own.

Could be fun though, to be fair. I have no idea
03-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
Yeah, his own.

Could be fun though, to be fair. I have no idea
So, I take it no TOFTT from you either

03-23-2009, 04:54 AM
Quote:
So, I take it no TOFTT from you either
I think you'll have quite a hard time for anyone to TOFTT on this one. If there isn't a price drop I don't see this one selling at all. Don't understand what some of these people are thinking pricing their games.
03-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
I think you'll have quite a hard time for anyone to TOFTT on this one. If there isn't a price drop I don't see this one selling at all. Don't understand what some of these people are thinking pricing their games.
Yeah, it seems in-depth with the level of team management and player progression etc. But 8 bucks is a hard sell these days with the App Store economics.

Anyone have gameplay vid?

Freeverse would own if they would release their baseball title now, esp. at their early intro $.99 norm

Last edited by rich_952000; 03-23-2009 at 05:06 AM.
03-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Yeah, it seems in-depth with the level of team management and player progression etc. But 8 bucks is a hard sell these days with the App Store economics.

Anyone have gameplay vid?

Freeverse would own if they would release their baseball title now, esp. at their early intro $.99 norm
Havent seen any vids of this game or even from the old games, but then again the original came out in like 88 or something lol.
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Thinking of TOFTT

Games Playing: Kids & Zombies, Infinity Gene, Q*bert, Resident Evil, Peggle, PacMan Remix
Listening to: Devin The Dude/ Waitin' to Inhale