★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gamepad for iPhone

03-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Gamepad for iPhone

Youtube link | Pop Up

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
It's been in development for quite a long time, but I wasn't too excited because it would only be available to JB games and my iPhone is non-JB.

But when firmware 3.0 was announced, I think it might actually be used by AppStore games too. This way, games like Mario Bros or Tekken or Real Soccer could work properly.

Cons is that it's not comfortable to carry around, but I really wouldn't mind having it to play the aforementioned games

I'm interested to have a discussion on that and hear what the TA family think about it. I personally feel it's an exciting possibility in iPhone gaming world.

Last edited by don_k; 03-23-2009 at 08:44 AM.

03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
The problem I have with this gamepad is, that it is too wide. There's no need to not cover the sides of the iPhone. They could easily make about 4cm smaller, if the gamepad would cover the left and right side of the iPhone, so that you only see the display. The D-Pad for example would then be where the Home button is.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
One thing I would like out of this is a control stick. It would make all those 3D games a breeze to play.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
it will work with 3.0 now

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
The problem I have with this gamepad is, that it is too wide. There's no need to not cover the sides of the iPhone. They could easily make about 4cm smaller, if the gamepad would cover the left and right side of the iPhone, so that you only see the display. The D-Pad for example would then be where the Home button is.
If it were that narrow, it would surely have to a lot thicker. The D-pad/buttons have a limit to how 'thin' they can be, as they need sensors to be placed behind them. The sensors being too thin will limit how responsive they are/how well they work.

Also, the home button might be pressed accidentally.

Oh, and you are potentially going to damage your device by pushing against either ends for long periods.
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
That actually looks pretty cool. once 3.0 comes out i'll be looking for this. more games will probably appear because of the fact that developers don't have to be so creative with the controls anymore.
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Sadly, the only way a gamepad is going to catch on is if Apple releases one first for the rest of the third party manufacturers to use as a reference design. Otherwise we're going to end up with games which were built for (hypothetically) Belkin's gamepad which only has three face buttons, Griffin's gamepad which has an analog stick but only two face buttons, etc.

Without someone setting the standards, it's going to get hairy.
03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forerunnerz View Post
One thing I would like out of this is a control stick. It would make all those 3D games a breeze to play.
Analog stick? yes that would be great to play games like Payback and Ninja Gaiden. We don't have to sacrifice our screen anymore for virtual buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
But putting the D-pad near the home button is like the original DS design flaw (putting D-pad near power button). Anyway, they don't have Apple engineering team behind so let's give them credit for what they've done. I'm more interested in the possibility it offers than judging it as a final product. Let's not be too literal

Posts copied from 'iPhone 3.0' thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablohead View Post
There is only one problem with expansion pad's and that is different companies may use different protocals to read each button, where one pad might read the first button as button 1, another make might not even recodnise the code you have to use to press it. THis is the problem of not having a standard.
What if one company manufactures it and sets it as de facto standard? It would surely be a mess to have different pads for each game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0mah View Post
I think the real problem is that the pad turns your sleek iDevice into something like a retarded Game Gear.
Game Gear was ahead of its time. If only it had been more well thought and had a decent battery, it wouldn't have been a failure it was. Anyway, from the rendering we can see it's not ugly. Yes the one on the youtube clip is ugly, but that's just prototype for testing.

I believe it can look as good as some iDevices accessory (like those speakers or battery extender).

Last edited by don_k; 03-23-2009 at 09:32 AM.
03-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Hodapp makes a very good point.

"When the going gets tough, the tough buy new iPhone apps"
Currently playing: Wolfenstein 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, and uhh WOLFENSTEIN 3D!!