★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Exqueezeme - Blokus clone.

03-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Exqueezeme - Blokus clone.

Blokus is one of the greatest board games ever. Exqueezeme is a great clone, and the dev is responsive and I believe this will turn out into a great app.

And no, I didn't get a promo code, I paid a buck for it (current price).

Official Blokus website (to learn about the game, not associated with the app... you can play online to get a feel for the game).

My suggestions as e-mailed to the dev:
- Have double-tapping or single-tapping to rotate pieces.
- Have a "strip" of 4-5 pieces to he side and you can scroll up and
down through them instead of having to bring up a separate window all
the time. Some jigsaw puzzle apps do this.
- Have the program automatically calculate when you have no more
moves left and end the game.
- Get rid of Your turn each ... time... it ... is... your ... turn ...
- I really would enjoy one tap to rotate, two taps to place (you don't
have to rotate both ways).
- It'd be great if you could program it to shade out the pieces you
can't place and end it when you have no more moves, like the PSP

Here's a jigsaw puzzle that implements the slide pieces:

(look at the third screenshot). And you slide left or right to get
through all the pieces. I think that would be awesome here.

Also some kind of "tournament" ... i.e. many games in a row.

And the give up should be for give up only... I feel like I lose even
when I win

Also, from the end of one game an option to go straigh into another game.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
WOW!!!! This game has answered my prayers! I have wanted a blokus clone for ages now! My wife and I play blokus with friends all the time.

Now the only other boards game I would like to see is settlers of Catan.

I will be playing this game for hours on end.

03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I wish the graphics were a little toned done. They're searing through my corneas.
03-23-2009, 11:42 AM
hello from the dev

Howdy all,
Exqueezeme is my little app. Thanks a lot for taking a look! I'm doing my best to implement some of the features--some will be pretty easy, others a little more involved.

It would be great if other people gave the app a try and enjoyed it--i hadn't really expected anyone to care. My wife and I just love the game and wanted to be able to easily play it while we travel.

Again, thanks for the feedback... Good stuff! I'll try to keep you posted with progress.

03-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Yea have a few friends who have the Korean import Gemblo. I used to own travel blokus but gave it away to sister-in-law. There is another blokus clone on the app store been out for 2 or 3 months but I can't find it. I used to have it listed on my page but deleted it. This one looks like a better clone IIRC though.
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
quick update...

I've implemented several of the changes that will be appearing in 1.4.1 (probably in a few days by the time the app store cheerfully accepts it).

1. The game will not message you about it being your turn if there is only a single human player.

2. You can enable an option to dim pieces that are not able to be played (I think it's on by default, but i'm not sure on that actually).

3. The game will determine if no pieces can be played and end the game if that's the case.

4. You can restart the game at any time without going through all the menus/setup.

As for the strip of pieces... I don't have iTunes here at work, so I'll have to check that jigsaw app out at home. I might give a toggleable option to use that instead of the grid layout of all pieces--we'll see what that would entail.

For the graphics needing to be toned down... What, in particular, are you wanting to see? There are a few options to disable some "help" type information. I put that in there for people who might be new to Blokus and might find it a little confusing I'm sure they'll get hooked like the rest of us!

03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Holy ... There goes 75% of my wishlist, you are awesome !!

Here's a picture of the slider. Slide your finger left or righ over the strip to see more pieces. Optionally when you take a piece off the others fill in so there's no gaps

Can you please please please make this game perfect and add single-tap rotation?

03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I picked it up since I love blokus and this is well done gameplay wise..... The AI seems good, havent played enough games to really decide on the AI. So far so good.. My only complaint would be to spice up the graphics, but gameplay wise, it seems spot on.

On the graphics, they are functional, but unless you make enough money or have the time. I wouldnt worry about them because the gameplay works fine.
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I added it. I had to be careful not to affect double click piece placement, but I think it's a decent compromise. You can't quick single click, because that would possibly be the start of a double click. So if you do a slow single click it will work now. ("slow" is definitely relative... let me know what you think of the timing--when it comes out).

03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Too bad you're married

Can't wait to try the new version!!

Oh hey I'll be more than happy to Beta test also All I need is an app folder and the mobilepermissions file. I can send you my UDID

I was thinking and maybe instead of single and double clicking you can click on upper right area to rotate and lower right area (of screen) to place.

What'd you think of the slider idea?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-23-2009 at 02:45 PM.