★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pick'T Poker (Lite available too)

03-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Pick'T Poker (Lite available too)

Pick'T Poker ($4.99) is a kind of casual poker game with an arcade touch.

You start with two cards and a table full of other ones from where you pick three more cards to build your hand. Only the cards that form the hand disappears so you can make another hand and so on. It's easy and the game Tutorial is very detailed.

Apart from the poker hand rules the game also has a wildcard and powerups that'll get every time you reach a new level. Nice touch!

The game is also Deck based so you'll not play random cards forever but one after another deck which may add a bit of strategy if you're willing to take this game seriously.

The game presentation is nicely done. Good graphics and animations, subtle sounds, professional interface and so on.

Thankfully there's a Lite version so you can try it before spending the $4.99 price tag. It sounds high but the game has a higher production than the average $0.99-$1.99 games.

Just note that only the full version has unlimited levels, save/resume feature and high score according to the game description.

FULL VERSION FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

As expected the full version has the same great overall production with an outstanding interface along with unlimited levels and high score.

Update: What I've detected as a game flaw (stuck in Level 10) is, in fact, a game feature. You have to play carefully, with some strategy, in order to beat a higher level. Tho the game has an arcade touch it requires more patience that I initially imagined. Well you have to think a bit ahead and manage the power-ups wisely.

Anyway, I still think the game could provide a hard mode for a quick pick up and play: limited bonus per game (not per level) and a "Jacks or Better" or even "Two of a Kind or better" approach.

4/5 stars. Recommended if you don't mind spend some time in a single game.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 03-24-2009 at 09:06 AM.
03-23-2009, 11:17 AM
sweet! thanks for the info, i've been wanting to try this out before buying.

03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Pretty Clever!

It's a bizarre ever evolving solo game of something between Draw Poker and Texas Hold'em.

The gameplay as basically as I can sum it up:

You start off with two cards in your hand and a bunch of cards on the table and you are tasked with trying to make a decent poker hand by taking 3 of those cards on the table into your hand. Once you have a hand of 5 cards it is evaluated and points are awarded (even a real crappy hand is at least a High Card hand, although worth very little). Any cards used in making the hand's value are eliminated in a flashy display (so if the hand was a pair, the two matching cards get poofed and you are awarded points) and the remaining cards are left behind. Since you can never carry over more than 2 cards onto the next hand (you don't get to choose the ones that carry over, as far as I can tell) all extra cards that remain in your hand are vanished but now at a penalty (not to score, but more akin to being counted against your life bar). By scoring big hands and making points you progress through the levels which, in turn, will grant you access to a number of hidden powerups that will allow you extra draws, the ability to discard crap from your hand, and many more wacky perks.

So how long can you keep things going before you make too many bad hands?
03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Full version first impressions added.

03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Carlos, nice little review here.
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
FULL VERSION FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

As expected the full version has the same great overall production with an outstanding interface along with unlimited levels and high score.

The gameplay is nice BUT it has what I can detect as a flaw. Let me explain.

Right now I'm stuck in Level 10. My hands don't give enough points and I lose almost the same values if my hand is not so good. Result: I can't beat level 10 and it seems I will not lose either.

As far as I can see (considering I'm still playing the first game) the difficulty should not only reflect in points but also in hands in order to earn them. I mean. The game could start with at least a pair to get points, then progress to Jacks or Better, then two pairs or better, then three of a kind or better and so on.

In addition, power-ups should be limited to the entire game and not level based since they can make things easier.

Easy (all hands initially) and hard (e.g. three of a kind or better) modes could be there too.

I like the game concept a lot but it clearly needs some difficulty tweaks in order to be challenging and don't last too long.

I can't recommend it right now. 3/5 stars.
Yeah, I have to agree with you that it really seems to jump from 0 to 60 at level 10 and that it's pretty easy to get into a weird limbo wherein you can keep the game going but never clear the level. It's still a great concept and maybe just needs a little tuning in future updates. I do, however, still have to say I love the TWIST in game play that occurs at level 10.
03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Yeah, I have to agree with you that it really seems to jump from 0 to 60 at level 10 and that it's pretty easy to get into a weird limbo wherein you can keep the game going but never clear the level. It's still a great concept and maybe just needs a little tuning in future updates. I do, however, still have to say I love the TWIST in game play that occurs at level 10.
Oh. Yes. The power-ups "auto firing" is a nice touch.

As I said I really like the game concept but it needs some tweaks to make it dynamic from level to level regarding difficulty. Let's hope an update can take care of it.

03-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Howdy Carlos,

If level 10 is driving you mad, then you'll hate (or love) level 12 ) That is the one that turns things realy crazy and forces you to think hard before making any move. This is the spirit of Pick'T Poker. The game was designed to be endless, but at higher levels you'll have to strive to stay in the table. With this concept we try to captured the dynamics of a poker turnment in which you have to overcome a set of chalenges to get to the final table, and once there, you'll be facing the grand masters. In Pick'T Poker your opponent is, in fact, no one but the random number generator which determines the card dealings and magic crazyness, but we always get amazed with the results such simple thing can accomplish )

Best wishes...

Pick't Poker Team ( Derlidio Siqueira / Leonardo Kasperavicius / Ney Estrabelli)

http://www.chromatick.com.br/iphone/

Last edited by neyestrabelli; 03-24-2009 at 08:36 AM.
03-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyestrabelli View Post
Howdy Carlos,

If level 10 is driving you mad, then you'll hate (or love) level 12 ) That is the one that turns things realy crazy and forces you to think hard before making any move. This is the spirit of Pick'T Poker. The game was designed to be endless, but at higher levels you'll have to strive to stay in the table. With this concept we try to captured the dynamics of a poker turnment in which you have to overcome a set of chalenges to get to the final table, and once there, you'll be facing the grand masters. In Pick'T Poker your opponent is, in fact, no one but the random number generator which determines the card dealings and magic crazyness, but we always get amazed with the results such simple thing can accomplish )

Best wishes...

Pick't Poker Team ( Derlidio Siqueira / Leonardo Kasperavicius / Ney Estrabelli)

http://www.chromatick.com.br/iphone/
Welcome to the forum!

I see. I'm playing my second game now. Level 11.

To win Level 10 I had to use some strategy. It took less time but it was not that short. Maybe, I'm understanding the game a bit more.

Anyway, it'd be nice to have a hard mode for a quick play along with the normal mode. Maybe Jacks or Better or even Two of a Kind or Better mode...

In resume, I'll play the game a bit more and I'll update my first impressions ASAP.

03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
@ neyestrabelli

One more thing: please add support for both landscape orientations which seems to be a simple thing to code according to Wastedyuthe blog.