★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Deceptive Developers

03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Deceptive Developers

Is it just me or are more and more bad developers coming to the appstore? I can't stand when they put "Sure to be the next:.." and they list all the top apps so if someone searches for those they will have thier app come up. Or when you CLEARLY have the bulk of the reviews being done by the developers themselves.

Just today I saw two apps in the same category with the same icon. And the worst part was the icon was of the hasbro game they were cloning (not even a real icon for thier game). Then when I clicked on them I checked the reviews and most are by accounts that the only review is for thier app and maybe a negative review for the other app. They were both like this.

The problem I see if what if apple stops searching the full description for keywords when a users searchs. This will just hurt the good developers who actually put useful info in the decription.

MakeMeSay (Word party game for 4+ people): http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...301320632&mt=8
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
People heard that people were becoming overnight millionaires on iPhone games... and, well... It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_gold_rush

03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I think it is sad the people work hard to make apps and then try to cheat and get more money. Resulting in distrust. I guess we should avoid them.
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Keyword spamming and fake reviews. Just another day at the sneaky, underhanded business office. It is an unfortunate and annoying thing when I see it -- but when I do see it, that developer and anything they've made or ever will make immediately get top billing on my "people never to buy from and suggest others avoid, too" list. If a developer lacks even a basic set of ethics to conduct a clean business then they aren't worth wasting any more of my time on except perhaps to help others avoid wasting their time, too.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
The sad part is that its paying off for them. They have a similiar game to mine and in less then a few days my ranking has been droping steadily. For the longest time I had been in roughly the same position in the top paid word games section, but now I am quite a few spots less. Also, my sales have dropped quite badly too.

Frankly I would rather my game failed then stoop to that level. Its just bad that after I spent time thinking of ways to make my game work better for the iPhone and build my own graphics that really all that was nessessary was a 1-1 copy of the original game and steal all thier images.
/rant

MakeMeSay (Word party game for 4+ people): http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...301320632&mt=8
03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Keyword spamming and fake reviews. Just another day at the sneaky, underhanded business office. It is an unfortunate and annoying thing when I see it -- but when I do see it, that developer and anything they've made or ever will make immediately get top billing on my "people never to buy from and suggest others avoid, too" list. If a developer lacks even a basic set of ethics to conduct a clean business then they aren't worth wasting any more of my time on except perhaps to help others avoid wasting their time, too.
Does that mean you're boycotting Digital Chocolate?

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
It's just marketing. Being a good developer doesn't mean being a good business person.

I would rather a great game do 'sketchy' marketing to get noticed then a terrible game doing the same thing to get noticed.

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
03-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ox View Post
Does that mean you're boycotting Digital Chocolate?
I would, if I had a iphone The keyword spam on the Tower Bloxx page is effing unbelievable. 'We watched House Season 5 and The Dark Knight while making this!' And they do this on TOP of making a great looking, yet lazily simple game which makes me dislike them even more for putting graphics over originality and gameplay..
03-24-2009, 02:19 AM
Oh, don't tell me about paid reviews. I've had a fair share of dealing with those. Usually though, our own TOFTT team can clean it up.
In any case, due to sites like these consumers can usually get the right game. If a game is truly good it will shine, and if it isn't, well then that's the end of the line .

First game in progress...
03-24-2009, 03:45 AM
I ignore people who are obviously decepting people by such tactics like paid reviews or saying people who bought this game may also have <list of 50 games>

Stick to quality devs, thats what I usually do

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.