★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS becoming another PSP?

12-21-2010, 08:11 PM
iOS becoming another PSP?

just heard Chrono Trigger is coming up soon. i played this game when i was young. it was a awesome game, just "was". i hate seeing those jap companies dump the old games onto ios platform even without big change on the visual presentation! if i want to revisit the classic games, i could run EMU on PSP, even on NDS. why need i play them on ios with the really nightmare control?
so, ios becoming another PSP which is full of port games?? that is bad!
12-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapMad_D View Post
why need i play them on ios with the really nightmare control?
And why do you have to play them?

12-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldar View Post
And why do you have to play them?
thats what I was thinking.
12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Just because there are a lot of ports is no reason to ignore the hundreds upon hundreds of indie developers releasing tons of great, original titles. There simply isn't any comparison; iOS gets way, way, way more releases than PSP -- in fact, way more than any platform. When you have that many releases on a high profile platform, you're going to notice more ports because there are just that many more games overall coming to the iOS platform, and the big names and classics get a huge share of the spotlight over the indies.

If you don't like the ports, don't buy them, simple as that. Enjoy the many thousands of great indie games the PSP doesn't have instead.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
it is not regarding buying or not, it is for the general atmosphere there in app store. those ports are killing innovation. you could compare it with the NDS market and PSP market.

i am not opposed to ports. but i just can't understand why big names as SE just simply port it without any improvement. for new gamers, it is cheating; while for old hands, it is a joke.

Last edited by TapMad_D; 12-21-2010 at 08:45 PM.
12-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
it is not regarding buying or not, it is for the general atmosphere there in app store. those ports are killing innovation. you could compare it with the NDS market and PSP market.
I'd be less worried about ports and more worried about the crud that gets released everyday.
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedAwesome View Post
I'd be less worried about ports and more worried about the crud that gets released everyday.
i guess, less than half a year, apple will become more restrict on game approval process. games which lacks creativity and quality will be hard to pass. and i do hope those dev who fake the reviews and sales will be punished.
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:

i am not opposed to ports. but i just can't understand why big names as SE just simply port it without any improvement. for new gamers, it is cheating; while for old hands, it is a joke.
The general atmosphere eh?

We get a handful of ports every year. This isn't like the PSN or Wii Ware store where 80% of titles are ports from older versions.

Pac Man, Tetris.. all ports. But people WANT to buy them, hence why more popular titles are continously ported. If you don't like them, look for the other 100,000+ new games on the App Store.

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Why so many comparisons of iOS to other consoles? Just enjoy it own its own, as an individual gaming device
12-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Quote:

How's it killing innovation. Just because those games don't bring something new doesn't mean other companies aren't. Theres a bunch of other fresh new games that are very different and unique. Next time, do some research first.