★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Modern Combat 2 VS. NOVA 2

View Poll Results: wich is better?
N.O.V.A 2 39 44.83%
Modern Combat 2: Black Peaguses 48 55.17%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Modern Combat 2 VS. NOVA 2

which is better?

i have been playing both series since both of their initial launches last year, and i have spent allot of lonely nights playing them

i personally think they are both the 2 best games for iphone (FPS's at least) and cant decide wich is better.

so in terms of the games:

single player: NOVA 2
multi-player: Modern Combat 2
graphics: equal, they both look amazing
sounds: EXTREMELY CLOSE, but guns goes to nova and voice acting is modern combat
story: modern combat
controls: modern combat

to me i think modern combat is slightly better,mainly because i find nova hard to control (without a gyroscope) so i personnaly prefer modern combat, also because i like the modern war theme better then sci-fi

but thats just my opinion, you tell me you'r opinions!

gameloft live: wipeout17
Beta Tested for: Broken Thumbs Apps
favourite apps: GTA:CW, splinter cell : conviction, BIA 2, Madden 11, RISK, HOS 2, Archetype, zombie infection, PvZ, NHL 2K11
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I like military shooters better than sci-fi, but I didn't really like mc2. The campaign started off great, dropped near the middle, and by the end I was dragging myself through it. The multiplayer didn't have the addictive quality Archetype has for me and so I deleted it. I'm picking up NOVA 2 on saturday, so I hope it's better.

12-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Modern Combat 2: Black Peaguses > N.O.V.A. 2

enough said.
12-21-2010, 10:31 PM
NOVA2's menus are very ugly and archaic compared to MC2's IMO, so I still prefer MC2 overall. I do like NOVA2's multiplayer modes more though.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
12-21-2010, 10:40 PM
You might as well have just asked COD versus Halo. Most people will pick COD. Which isn't to say that Halo is bad. People just believe that COD is better.

Pretty much the same thing likely applies here.
12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
single player: nova 2
multi-player: nova 2
graphics: same
sounds: same
story: modern combat
controls: nova 2, you can facking jump.

But man, I like sci-fi shooters a lot better, and I'm definitely a hell of a lot better at nova 2 online. It's been a while since I've lost game on a nova 2 with a ratio of nearly 2.5 and I'm only rank 40..on MC2 my ratio is below 0.8..
12-21-2010, 11:38 PM
MC2. Nova2 was good, but it didn't revolutionize the iFPS market the way MC:BP did. MC:2 looked better generally, and while NOVA 2 had some pretty crazy visual effects, (rivers, plasma cylinders, etc) its much harder to model human characters' mouths and movements. Plus on retina, NOVA 2 slowed down quite a bit when lot of stuff went on. I felt that more thought and effort was put into MC2, especially its campaign. The campaign on NOVA2 ended very abruptly and seemed half as long as MC:2 BP. Some would argue that the story was better on NOVA2, but I thought the ending was pretty damn poor and unsatisfying. Nova 2 has better multilayer modes, though, and more maps. I still enjoy MC:BP's multiplayer better however, I can't really put my finger on why. It seemed a bit more tactical and console-like. As dumaz1000 mentioned, however, it does come down to mainly personal preference. Ask yourself this, though: If NOVA2 came out before MC:BP, would it change your idea at all?

Currently Playing: Hybrid (The first one), Block Fortress
Waiting For: MC5
Hoping For: RCT!!!!!
12-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
MC2. Nova2 was good, but it didn't revolutionize the iFPS market the way MC:BP did. MC:2 looked better generally, and while NOVA 2 had some pretty crazy visual effects, (rivers, plasma cylinders, etc) its much harder to model human characters' mouths and movements. Plus on retina, NOVA 2 slowed down quite a bit when lot of stuff went on. I felt that more thought and effort was put into MC2, especially its campaign. The campaign on NOVA2 ended very abruptly and seemed half as long as MC:2 BP. Some would argue that the story was better on NOVA2, but I thought the ending was pretty damn poor and unsatisfying. Nova 2 has better multilayer modes, though, and more maps. I still enjoy MC:BP's multiplayer better however, I can't really put my finger on why. It seemed a bit more tactical and console-like. As dumaz1000 mentioned, however, it does come down to mainly personal preference. Ask yourself this, though: If NOVA2 came out before MC:BP, would it change your idea at all?
This is an excellent post and I find it completely true although I prefer nova 2 by far. MC2 truly did change how a fps on the iOS should be viewed.
12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post

+2; well said.

My vote went for MC2 - completely revolutionized and set the bar high for the way online games should be on the iPhone.

OpenFeint / Gameloft ID: KiranB28
Hooked On: Cut The Rope, Bookworm, Samurai II
Reckless Racer, Modern Combat 2 (add me!)
12-22-2010, 12:07 AM
I hate that in nova 2 you can't zoom or aim down, it's too fast paced for me. It takes almost no skill to run around shooting. No offence to some ppl. But to me MC 2 is better in multiplayer. I haven even gotten half way through in the campaigns yet

memory cards