★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: TheAppShow Podcast with CEO of PlayScreen, Games 3.0 OS etc.

03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
TheAppShow Podcast with CEO of PlayScreen, Games 3.0 OS etc.

Yes, there's bitching about Bailout Bonanza, but we also discuss OS 3.0, other games, and why the Google Android Market is a bust.

http://www.theappshow.com/2009-03-22...21-no-parking/

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Bailout Bonanza is still pending approval?!

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95

03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Sad to hear about the Android Marketplace being a bust for paid apps, damn 3000 units for the highest selling app? I really wanted it to be a good competitor for the Appstore since last year.

Hope the Palm Pre's App Catalog does a lot better. We need competition.
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Sad to hear about the Android Marketplace being a bust for paid apps, damn 3000 units for the highest selling app? I really wanted it to be a good competitor for the Appstore since last year.

Nintendo DSi

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Bailout Bonanza is still pending approval?!
Does an AIG exec shit in the woods?

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
03-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Quote:

Our Blackjack Game appears to be the best selling G1 PAID Blackjack game (only 2 FREE Blackjack games are downloaded more), is in the top 40 of paid games, has a 4 and 1/2 Star Rating, and less than 1/3 of the downloaders return it.

The Bad News:

One would think, with the far far smaller number of apps in the Marketplace as opposed to the Apple App Store that this would mean great sales. Yes, there may only be 1/30th the number of Android devices, but there are only around 500 paid and free games (there are 1000's on the iPhone).

The problem is, and I could be wrong, that most users have not opted into Google Checkout and the store is filled with Free Apps that were published before paid apps were available. My understanding is that some free apps have reached 1/4 of a million downloads, but the best selling paid app may have had only a few 1000 units sold. Not a great business model.

Track this for yourself:

http://atrackdog.a0soft.com/index.php

You can select paid/free.

Then click on the Cyrket link to get download estimates and descriptions.

In my experience, the lower number in the range is the correct one.

The best selling paid app for example:

http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.ac...owermanagerpro

Probabily closer to 5000 sales. This may be due to the 24hr. return policy.

Hello Mt. View? We've got a problem.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Quote:

I've got over 20 web-based games, many created for the iPhone pre-native-apps, that could run on the Pre.

Alas, I've tried to get in contact with ANYONE there with no luck.

Some of these were among the most played web-apps on the iPhone, according to Apple.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayScreen View Post
I've got over 20 web-based games, many created for the iPhone pre-native-apps, that could run on the Pre.

Alas, I've tried to get in contact with ANYONE there with no luck.

Some of these were among the most played web-apps on the iPhone, according to Apple.
Are you serious? Wow I thought Palm would have been more on the ball with this. Hopefully they pick up the phone soon.
03-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Are you serious? Wow I thought Palm would have been more on the ball with this. Hopefully they pick up the phone soon.
Surly you jest. I'm sure they think developers will FLOCK to them with crafted Javascript/Ajax games. Why even reply to LinkedIn messages from a company that spent a year on this for the iPhone?

I mean ANYONE can build stuff like this:

http://www.playscreen.com/iphone/fun4iphone.htm

- Shigeru Miyamoto