★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Emad Ali
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 13.8 MB
  • Version: 2.22
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Regular Price $1.99
FREE for a limited time!!

Doodle Defense is the latest in the strategy genre. Prepare to build your army to stop the enemies from attacking your base.

Features:

Vivid and colorful doodle graphics
4 exciting maps
3 difficulty levels
3 modes of gameplay
5 towers

Thank you for you support. We are hard at work to add more maps, towers, and features.

RevolvingDoor's comments:

Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce you to Doodle Defense. The holidays are upon us once more, and let's be frank... Who doesn't have the urge to blow up some hand-drawn tanks and planes this time of year?

If crafting your own devious maze of deadly gun towers sounds like your cup of tea, this title is for you. Five different towers are available, each spewing a different kind of ammo -- anything from bullets to focused lightning. Each tower can be upgraded up to three times to give it more punch. Position your towers around the screen to stop the invading army dead in their tracks, and rack up some cash!

The screenshots above don't quite do the game justice, so I took a few of my own.

Enjoy!
12-22-2010, 11:29 PM
The game is pretty good. The art is the same old doodle, a low-point. But it's got good difficulty, sound, and feel. I recommend it.

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero

12-22-2010, 11:31 PM
How many towers are there?

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
12-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Five, each with three upgrades, some of which considerably change the tower.
12-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Great game! Although I'm not into doodle graphics as much, I think this game is superb, and the graphics are very well done!
12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Send a message via AIM to Sparks
Niceeee

Check out my newest game 'Tiled': 'Tiled' (iTunes)
12-23-2010, 11:56 AM
A few more free promo codes for Doodle Defense have just been posted here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...67#post1503967

Merry Christmas to anyone who grabs one.
12-25-2010, 02:04 AM
After trying out the game, here are my impressions:

I'm usually not too big of a fan of the "doodle" art style, but it's not too bad for this game. Plus, I'm sure there are others who enjoy it.

The game is very simple to pick up if you've played any TD games in the past. Unfortunately, there's little help inside the game that tells you what specific towers do, or how much of an increase upgrades will give. This leads to a lot of guessing and hoping that you're spending your money well. There are five different towers, but other than the slow tower, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the other four. Yes, they look different and cost different amounts, but for the most part, they all just seem just generic damage dealing towers. Many TD games will have towers that have different specialties: single-target, AoE, slow, flying, ground, laser/flamethrower, etc. I think some more variety in the towers' abilities could help the game be a little more interesting.

I have a couple suggestions things that could be fixed.
- When the game is paused, it will just repeatedly play the last sound over and over which is really annoying.
- The game speed seems very slow to me. I found myself leaving to do something else and coming back every few minutes to build new towers. The fast forward speed could really use a huge boost, especially when you consider that building towers pauses the game and there's little danger of you not being able to build in time.
- When you pause the game and build a tower, the game auto-resumes. It should stay paused until the player chooses to unpause it.
- I think the upgrade/sell buttons are reversed when compared to most of the other TD games available. I found myself hitting the wrong one sometimes due to force of habit. Maybe switching them to match other TDs would help some people.

Certain genres of games have been done to death on the app store (tower defense, match 3, etc) and for a game to stand out, it really needs to be unique in some way. The obvious method would be gameplay, but even a generic TD game that was extremely polished would be worthwhile in my mind.

An example of this would be Bejeweled 2. There are a bajillion match 3 games on the app store, many with extra unique features. Yet, I still like Bejeweled since the graphics, the interface, etc make the experience very enjoyable, even if the gameplay is a bit dated.

This game just doesn't have any of those, though. This isn't to say that it's a bad game, just that there's nothing that would make me specifically choose Doodle Defense over another random TD game.

Last edited by Dazarath; 12-25-2010 at 02:07 AM.
12-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Just wanted to say that I've been playing this game for a few days now, and it's really fun! It's got great re-playability and I'm hoping to see more soon.
12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks to everyone who's commented so far! Keep them coming, feedback is always appreciated, and will help us improve the game!