★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do you prefer 2D games or 3D games and why

12-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Do you prefer 2D games or 3D games and why

Lately I have seen alot of 3D games by larger companies do very well. As technology progress on the ipod/iphone platform , so will games. There will always be nostalgic 2D gamers as well as newer gamers used to 3D games. Iam wondering if most gamers still perfer traditional 2D sidescrolling action games or since the burst of 3D games are now looking only for 3D games.
12-22-2010, 11:17 PM
2D. Very simple.
It's very easy to have high quality 2D graphics (Fieldrunners, Cut the Rope, most hidden objects games, Plants vs Zombies), and they're easier on the eyes as well and usually have no lag whatsoever. But is it possible to have smooth PS3-level graphics? Not really. 99.99% of the 3D stuff in the appstore are extremely crappy polygon-like 3D graphics that lag like hell.

12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
It reaaally dependson what kind of game you want to make. Side scroller, 2d. Fps, 3d. Racing, 2d or 3d, depending on if you want a pole position-like feel or real racing feel. Anyways, it depends a lot.

add me on PSN = uranium65
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by November's Chopin View Post
2D. Very simple.
It's very easy to have high quality 2D graphics (Fieldrunners, Cut the Rope, most hidden objects games, Plants vs Zombies), and they're easier on the eyes as well and usually have no lag whatsoever. But is it possible to have smooth PS3-level graphics? Not really. 99.99% of the 3D stuff in the appstore are extremely crappy polygon-like 3D graphics that lag like hell.
99.99%? thats quite exaggerated, sir. Gameloft, firemint, ea, etc do 3D games very well.

add me on PSN = uranium65
12-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runformoney1110 View Post
99.99%? thats quite exaggerated, sir. Gameloft, firemint, ea, etc do 3D games very well.
And how many 3D games does Gameloft contribute to the entire 3D appstore collection? How many games have retina support out of all 3D games? I don't think 0.01% is that exaggerating. And not to mention most of Gameloft's older 3D games are all polygon-like graphics that lag like hell.

Last edited by November's Chopin; 12-22-2010 at 11:27 PM.
12-23-2010, 01:05 AM
so far i have not seen a satisfactory 3D title on iphone. 2D is good for this device, for me.
12-23-2010, 01:27 AM
I prefer good games.

If they offer something unique, and are fun to play, they can be in 2D or 3D. I think more people today probably prefer 3D though, just because it looks "cooler." But, at the end of the day, the game still have to be fun.
12-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by November's Chopin View Post
2D. Very simple.
It's very easy to have high quality 2D graphics (Fieldrunners, Cut the Rope, most hidden objects games, Plants vs Zombies), and they're easier on the eyes as well and usually have no lag whatsoever.
I know some 2D artists and developers that will refute that claim Good 2D art requires as much effort as good 3D art - a lot of 2D art actually starts out as 3D models nowadays. 2D scenes may also require more alpha blending and texture bandwidth (e.g. for animation frames). An iPad can handle thousands of solid triangles but a few large blended quads will bring it to it's knees - don't always assume 3D requires more GPU power.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
12-23-2010, 03:06 AM
I like both but some games like street fighter for instance show 2d worked best on them I really preferred it in the earlier days and the graphics were if anything better than the later ones.

Another advantage of 2d games generally is the battery life I often play game dev story or football manager if I just want to relax for a few hours while a 3d games won't last quite as long.

Depends on the game in my opinion you can have bad or good games in both.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
12-23-2010, 03:19 AM
I wish gameloft would just port the castlevania ripoff hey made for dsi already. Is nintendo holding them back or womething?