★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Netplay in Roll a Stone - new version submitted today

03-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Netplay in Roll a Stone - new version submitted today

I'm happy to tell that I have finally added Netplay support in Roll a Stone. The new version of the game has just been submitted to the App Store.

What exactly is Netplay? Many other iPhone games have a global leaderboard, but Roll a Stone goes further than that. Instead of just uploading your best score, you will also upload your recorded game. The game server will then select an opponent for you and download the opponent's recorded game. Say you have position 14 in the global high score list. The server will then let you play against the player with position 13. This way, you will play against another player that has almost the same score as you.

I'm calling this feature "Netplay".

The high score list and your opponent's recorded game will be stored on your iPhone, so if you want to play against your opponent again you don't have to connect to the Internet. Once you have a better score, you can update the global highscore list again and get another opponent.

The Netplay mode is explained in more detail here: http://www.rapidsmountain.com/Site/Netplay.html

You can see an old YouTube movie showing Roll a Stone in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU0u8Dk4biw&fmt=18

It would be great to get some feedback from you about this idea. Do you like the idea or not? Have you seen this feature in any other iPhone game?

Cheers,
Lars
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
sounds awesome lars, can't wait to see this in action!

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*

03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsef View Post
I'm happy to tell that I have finally added Netplay support in Roll a Stone. The new version of the game has just been submitted to the App Store.

What exactly is Netplay? Many other iPhone games have a global leaderboard, but Roll a Stone goes further than that. Instead of just uploading your best score, you will also upload your recorded game. The game server will then select an opponent for you and download the opponent's recorded game. Say you have position 14 in the global high score list. The server will then let you play against the player with position 13. This way, you will play against another player that has almost the same score as you.

I'm calling this feature "Netplay".

The high score list and your opponent's recorded game will be stored on your iPhone, so if you want to play against your opponent again you don't have to connect to the Internet. Once you have a better score, you can update the global highscore list again and get another opponent.

The Netplay mode is explained in more detail here: http://www.rapidsmountain.com/Site/Netplay.html

You can see an old YouTube movie showing Roll a Stone in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU0u8Dk4biw&fmt=18

It would be great to get some feedback from you about this idea. Do you like the idea or not? Have you seen this feature in any other iPhone game?

Cheers,
Lars
Sounds nice! Good job!
03-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Nice! I think I recall you mentioning this to me in E-Mail a while back, but I'd all but forgotten about it. (The hazards of being a reviewer I guess; too many new installations and reviews, not enough time or space to play or keep all of the good ones. Apple's really gotta fix that 148 limit by, say, making some freakin' folders! But I digress...)

Looking forward to trying this out.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Nice! I think I recall you mentioning this to me in E-Mail a while back, but I'd all but forgotten about it. (The hazards of being a reviewer I guess; too many new installations and reviews, not enough time or space to play or keep all of the good ones. Apple's really gotta fix that 148 limit by, say, making some freakin' folders! But I digress...)

I remember I wrote to you about it. The idea was to release this version in January, but it took longer time to implement this feature than I first thought.
03-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post

I feel your pain. But, I don't think I could ever give up reviewing and be "just another player" again

Back to topic: The netplay sounds intriguing. I like the fact that you see the opponent's video at the same time you are playing. I don't think I've ever heard of this concept before, either on the iPhone or other platforms. I'm just curious, though, how big are the "video" files? I assume they are just some sort of text / binary files that have a list of movements in them.

By the way, for those interested, here's a link to the game itself: App Store

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
I feel your pain. But, I don't think I could ever give up reviewing and be "just another player" again

Back to topic: The netplay sounds intriguing. I like the fact that you see the opponent's video at the same time you are playing. I don't think I've ever heard of this concept before, either on the iPhone or other platforms. I'm just curious, though, how big are the "video" files? I assume they are just some sort of text / binary files that have a list of movements in them.

By the way, for those interested, here's a link to the game itself: App Store
As you guessed, I'm storing the speed of the stone from each frame in a short int array, which is then saved as a binary file. A typical file with two minutes game play is about 10 KB.

The Netplay version is submitted but not yet available in the App Store. It should be available in a couple of days.

Last edited by larsef; 03-25-2009 at 08:55 AM.