★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Dmitry Shulga
  • Genre: Dice
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 6.5 MB
  • Version: 1.0.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: ******************************************************
Launch Sale! 67% off! Only $0.99 for a limited time.

Experience Tribal Dice, an innovative new strategic dice game from the mind of American attorney and game designer Ben Stanley, coded by the same team who brought you great iOS abstract strategy games like Taiji and Jin Li.

In Tribal Dice, players must roll dice to restore eight sacred ancestral spirits, save their tribe, and become the new chieftain. Each die is a different color and provides a different, one-time power to the player when that spirit has been fully restored. Combine strategy, planning, and luck in a clever and addictive "Euro-style" dice game.

Features:

* Engrossing and challenging solitaire game
* Interactive multiplayer game for up to three players on the same device or against three levels of artificial intelligence
* Short but comprehensive rules and in-game instructions
* A beautiful and original soundtrack by musician Eric Sandberg

Visit www.nestorgames.com to purchase other published games by Ben, including the stock simulation game "Nyse" and the abstract strategy wargame "Symbol."

Please use the support site, which links to game's Facebook page to post comments, bugs, suggestions, etc. Any feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

Blue Steel's comments:
This innovative new "European style" strategic dice game was licensed from me to be brought to the iOS. It was released today.

Check it out if you love dice games like Yahtzee, To Court the King, and Farkel, but want more strategy, challenge, and theme in your games.

Launch Sale! 67% off! Only $0.99 for a limited time.

Experience Tribal Dice, an innovative new strategic dice game from the mind of American attorney and game designer Ben Stanley, coded by the same team who brought you great iOS abstract strategy games like Taiji and Jin Li.

In Tribal Dice, players must roll dice to restore eight sacred ancestral spirits, save their tribe, and become the new chieftain. Each die is a different color and provides a different, one-time power to the player when that spirit has been fully restored. Combine strategy, planning, and luck in a clever and addictive "Euro-style" dice game.

Features:

* Engrossing and challenging solitaire game
* Interactive multiplayer game for up to three players on the same device or against three levels of artificial intelligence
* Short but comprehensive rules and in-game instructions
* A beautiful and original soundtrack by musician Eric Sandberg
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the support, and the edit above adding app information. The first week of sales have gone very well, the early reviews are fantastic, and so I think the developer intends to continue with the launch sale pricing of 99 cents for longer.

Thank you, everyone! What an amazing community!

Here are some of the reviews the game has received:

"I love dice games. The magic of implementing simple dice and turning it into such an engrossing game is what you have here. The game makes you come back again and again. Can't say enough good things about this app. Genius." ~ App-etizer

". . . It plays quick, but it's so addictive. I'm playing constantly trying to beat my high score of 70 in the solo game. Very well done, highly recommended!" ~ smokingdave

"This is a well done game. Music is appropriate and enhances game play. The animation effects are great. Even though the game uses dice there is strategy in the play. I enjoy it very much. Keep up the good work." ~ DaddyMons

"I took a chance on buying this one and I'm glad I did! After playing a couple of games I began to notice the brilliance behind the concept. It's not as simple as it first appears and the right decision isn't always the obvious one. It's not that often I get off my lazy behind and rate an app, but I thought it was worth writing a review for this one. Update: My highest score on solo is 66; has anyone beaten that?" ~ Phil Kenny

01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Send a message via AIM to amn624 Send a message via Skype™ to amn624
You've got to be kidding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
Thanks for all the support, and the edit above adding app information. The first week of sales have gone very well, the early reviews are fantastic, and so I think the developer intends to continue with the launch sale pricing of 99 cents for longer.

Thank you, everyone! What an amazing community!

Here are some of the reviews the game has received:

"I love dice games. The magic of implementing simple dice and turning it into such an engrossing game is what you have here. The game makes you come back again and again. Can't say enough good things about this app. Genius." ~ App-etizer

". . . It plays quick, but it's so addictive. I'm playing constantly trying to beat my high score of 70 in the solo game. Very well done, highly recommended!" ~ smokingdave

"This is a well done game. Music is appropriate and enhances game play. The animation effects are great. Even though the game uses dice there is strategy in the play. I enjoy it very much. Keep up the good work." ~ DaddyMons

"I took a chance on buying this one and I'm glad I did! After playing a couple of games I began to notice the brilliance behind the concept. It's not as simple as it first appears and the right decision isn't always the obvious one. It's not that often I get off my lazy behind and rate an app, but I thought it was worth writing a review for this one. Update: My highest score on solo is 66; has anyone beaten that?" ~ Phil Kenny
Firs of all, two visual screens tells me nothing. Secondly, there is really no info that tells me how this game equates with Euro style games or any description of what goes on. Under the circumstances, there's not a chance of me being interested. I have no clue how this plays.
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Very true that almost nothing is said (or shown) about this game... and that's a shame.

I decided to give it the 'ol TOFTTing Try and see what this game is all about.

I've only done the Solo mode so far and I can at least give you a little bit about the game play.

You have eight 8-sided die that you play with. The goal is to get each of them to show the number 8. You start by rolling all of them and getting the results. You can re-roll only dice that show the same number. There is a bit of strategy with this because you can roll all the like numbered die or just some of them. For instance, if you have four dice that show the number "2" you can re-roll all of them or just two, or three. I'm not sure what the overall strategy is with this, but the game says that there is one to this, so I'll go with it. I just re-rolled everything when I could.

When you are out of matches, your game is over. You can also end a game early if you think that your Solo score is high enough. For instance, you show two sevens and would rather just keep them instead of taking a chance that they'll come up as non-matching, lower numbers.

The real fun with the game is that the eights, once rolled, wave powers that can be used once. Each die has a different power. One will let you re-roll all the dice you had previously rolled (useful when you rolled a lot of dice and didn't get a good result), One will let you lower the number of one die by one point (which could give you a match), and another will let you restore the power of an 8 that you've already used.

These powers are really good and let you have some fun with the play.

I've only gone through a little bit of the multiplayer, but it seems to have some good strategy and will allow you to play against two opponents at the same time. These can either be computer or human opponents. The black die really comes into play because it's power is to destroy one of your opponents *8"s. The AI can be set at Easy, Normal and High.

The game is worth it's sale price, and will offer some nice play for those who like dice/strategy games. It's not overly flashy on the presentation, but it's okay and does it's job.

The game could use a leader board. It's probably the biggest missing point with the app. All you get is the high score on the solo game. Not even a leader board for your local device... just the one score. Give us a global leader board and we'll really have something. Now you can have a true "Tribal Leader". Once this is added (with maybe some achievements), you'd have a game that you can take "off sale".

Negative points for their overall description and marketing, but positive points for a really nice little game.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the gameplay summary, QuickWit. I'm glad you enjoy it. You did a great job explaining all the basic rules. Did it answer all of your questions, amn624? I guess trying to keep things brief in the app summary, we must have left a few people wondering just how it worked.

It's a new dice rolling game mechanic, so think of it like Yahtzee or something, but with a different theme and different strategies mixed in with the luck of rolling dice (8 sided dice in different colors in this game). The solo game and the interactive multiplayer game are both very different as well.

Again, we are thrilled so many are enjoying the game and appreciating the subtleties found within so simple a design.
01-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I haven't tried this ipad game yet. I think I will give this one a try, since it look nice. Thank for sharing valuable information about it.
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Any hope of the leader board... and then going global? That would really put some replay into the solo game.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
01-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
Any hope of the leader board... and then going global? That would really put some replay into the solo game.
I'd like to see some of those features (game center for leaderboards, achievements, and stat tracking, and maybe even making the multiplayer possible from long distances).

I think the odds are pretty good, too, if the game continues to sell like it has. The developers are true indie programmers, putting this one together in their spare time with a tiny team, so they need to recover some of their investment before they start adding features, but as it continues to perform, I think they intend to release updates.

The game is very feature rich as it is, and many users have been telling me that it has been more addictive already than any other game they've bought. One said it was the first time he ever used an entire battery charge on a single game playing it all night. But I agree that even more features would be tons of fun, so I will encourage the developers to consider it!