★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Darts Lite

10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Darts Lite

Just tried the new demo of Darts.

Lite version:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294538221&mt=8

Full Version:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294091463&mt=8

The lite version only has Practice mode, where you can throw an unlimited amount in sets of 3 darts, which it adds up the score for every 3.

The gameplay mechanic is simple, you do a flick across the screen. There's no accelerometer, just a single flick. The faster you flick, the higher it lands. Consider that speed, as naturally a slow flick it would fall short. No matter the speed, if your flick stopped short, nothing happens. You aim left to right by changing the angle of the flick. Thus, it can be challenging to hit the number you want. This simple way of playing also makes the game fast.

A few times I was bothered when I flicked too early after the last dart and nothing happens. I find when it zooms back out, wait for your last dart to become transparent, then you know you can flick.

Graphics are pretty nice too. The whole thing is 3D, and very sharp and clear. The board looks full 3D, but just a nice baked texture, so you don't have to deal with jaggies for the small wires around it, and the 3D darts look good. Though, the fast camera zoom after you throw can be a little busy after a while.

I think this will be my next buy.
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I think would be really nice is if after you place your finger on the screen, you'd see a 3D dart move with you. Then it would appear more like you really are throwing something.
10-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks

Hey, this is the developer, Brian Hammond. Thanks for your review. You make a number of good points.

The "dart cam" does get a bit annoying after a while. I'm going to make an option to disable it in the Settings (app).

Seeing the dart before the throw might be useful and I'm thinking of ways to make the controls better/easier.

BTW, I pulled "Darts Lite" off the store as it seemed no one really "got" the point of it and down-rated the heck out of it. The point was to simply offer some form of "trial-ware" before shelling out $5 for the full version. However it seems that everyone wants something/everything for free, not just a practice mode... Sigh, human nature I suppose

Again, thanks for the review. Care to write the same in the App Store reviews?
10-30-2008, 01:47 AM
I the Dart Lite app is gone I'll have to wait until I pay for the full version. I was puzzled at the poor reviews the Lite version was getting, didn't understand their reasoning, from the first few that appeared, yet your full app was highly rated.

I'm clueless on how you play dart games. I never played much besides a dart board in my dad's garage. My brother and I would take turns with a goal of starting with number 1, and then proceed to number 2, so on and so on until the last number before hitting the bullseye. Who ever go there first won. That may be totally different from the way darts art really played. There was also a baseball dart game on the back.

Seeing the 3D dart before throwing may help compensate removing the zoom camera option. But it might be hard to animate the launch of the dart realistically from where the flick ends and work with your system.

Maybe have the 3 darts on the bottom right, like being held fanned out. When the player is ready to throw, grab a dart by holding it, then move it left and right in 3D. Raising your finger won't exactly lift the dart to the top of the screen, maybe a little, but also see it move further away, letting you create that motion of moving it back and forth before tossing as you aim.

Also, the aiming, as of now, even if you flick straight up on the side of the screen, the dart launches from the center. What if you added extra aiming by letting the user launch the 3D dart to from the side of the board to aim for those side numbers, then one can focus on the speed of the flick, but the angle could still be used.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just what pops into my head with no regards to the technical side or issues this may cause in the game play. Like slowing down the good fast pace of the throwing you achieved.

Oh, and if the camera zoom is turned off, after the dart lands, will you switch to a close up, rotating from one side to side to still show the cool 3D graphics? Also, maybe instant replays with a zoom camera if someone gets a double or triple and such.

Again, just throwing out whatever pops into my head.

Last edited by TimothyB; 10-30-2008 at 01:52 AM.
11-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post
I the Dart Lite app is gone I'll have to wait until I pay for the full version. I was puzzled at the poor reviews the Lite version was getting, didn't understand their reasoning, from the first few that appeared, yet your full app was highly rated.
Same here... I think it's just human nature that people want everything for nothing. I had 25000 downloads of Darts Lite in 2 days with an average rating of 2 stars. I have a LOT less of Darts (full) in 10 days but an average rating of 4.5+ stars. Weird.

Quote:
I'm clueless on how you play dart games. I never played much besides a dart board in my dad's garage. My brother and I would take turns with a goal of starting with number 1, and then proceed to number 2, so on and so on until the last number before hitting the bullseye. Who ever go there first won. That may be totally different from the way darts art really played.
That's one game variation called "Around the Clock".

http://www.mostdartgames.com/clock.html

Quote:
Also, the aiming, as of now, even if you flick straight up on the side of the screen, the dart launches from the center. What if you added extra aiming by letting the user launch the 3D dart to from the side of the board to aim for those side numbers, then one can focus on the speed of the flick, but the angle could still be used.
I added a new throwing method called "Aim and Flick" to the 1.3 version of Darts. It's under review by Apple now. There's a video of it in action on http://dartsapp.com ... It should make everyone much happier!

Thanks for the input!