★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Space Trader apparently out??

03-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Space Trader apparently out??

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306867557&mt=8

You still trade an its 1.99 and version 1.1

Is this what arn was talking about ??

Screenies are different too

03-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Haha. The photos we saw on TA must have been photoshopped.
It is a different game. I hope this whole 'identical names' thing doesn't cause a delay.

03-24-2009, 08:59 AM
It's too bad that the developers of the new Space Trader didn't see this one released first, because I'm sure the name thing will cause a little bit of confusion. Ironically, in some ways the new one coming out sounds a lot like a souped up version of this one, which is a souped up iPhone conversion of the Palm / Pocket PC game. For some background information on the HermitWorks version that's still pending, check out Space Trader.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Right. It's confusing because there have been two games named "Space Trader". One is the one currently previewed on the front and the other is an open source game with very little visuals. The open source-based game is the one currently available on the AppStore (although this version does cost money).

I've enjoyed the open source one since it was on the Palm. Then I played a version for PC. I had not even heard of this other version until just a few weeks ago. It definitely looks interesting.

Last edited by SSquared; 03-24-2009 at 10:02 AM.
03-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Right. It's confusing because there have been two games named "Space Trader". One is the one currently previewed on the front and the other is an open source game with very little visuals. The open source-based game is the one currently available on the AppStore (although this version does cost money).

I've enjoyed the open source one since it was on the Palm. Then I played a version for PC. I had not even heard of this other version until just a few weeks ago. It definitely looks interesting.
Have you played the one that's currently available on the App Store? I enjoyed the Pocket PC version, but for some reason could never get into the Palm version.

Eric Pankoke
03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I have not played it, but another thread on here mentions it is pretty disappointing. It does not even have all of the aspects of the game implemented.

Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...t=space+trader
03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I have not played it, but another thread on here mentions it is pretty disappointing. It does not even have all of the aspects of the game implemented.

Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...t=space+trader
Yeah, I saw that thread before. I was just too lazy to go back and see if you had commented in it or not What gets me is the fact that the Pocket PC version is open source (or at least I thought it was), so I would think aside from the specifics of the device itself that implementing it for a different platform would be relatively straightforward. Of course, I have no idea how sloppy the code for the other platforms is.

Eric Pankoke
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
unfortunate side effect

Imagine my surprise when this new version was first announced and I rushed to the app store to buy it...only to later find out that it was an entirely different game! That was a big pile of suck.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
03-24-2009, 12:31 PM
There is a lite version off this crappy game

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
What gets me is the fact that the Pocket PC version is open source (or at least I thought it was), so I would think aside from the specifics of the device itself that implementing it for a different platform would be relatively straightforward. Of course, I have no idea how sloppy the code for the other platforms is.
Agreed. Which is what makes this release even more upsetting. Not to mention it is usually freeware. There have been plenty of other ports for it. I was even playing a C# version and made a few updates locally myself.