★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Difficulty Button, What To Use?

12-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Send a message via MSN to chrs944 Send a message via Skype™ to chrs944
Difficulty Button, What To Use?

Anyone have a good suggestion on an icon I can use for a button to represent game difficulty?
12-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs944 View Post
Anyone have a good suggestion on an icon I can use for a button to represent game difficulty?
Maybe an image of someone beating their head against a wall?

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!

12-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
a guy on fire for insane

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
12-26-2010, 05:58 PM
We use an icon with 3 horizontal lines. Icon for easy has only the lowest line, medium - lowest and middle lines, hard - all lines.

For more info check: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neuroshima-hex/id391297152?mt=8
12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Use sharper angles- like three circles for easy, three triangles for hard.
12-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Call of Duty uses a mugshot of a person looking more bad___ and war-torn for each higher difficulty, with a skull and crossbones for veteran.

This is a forum dedicated to figure out what is the best way you can give Steve Jobs your money.
12-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Quote:
What type / genre of game are you thinking of? Creating something suitable will also depend on the look of your menu selection screen as the obvious choice could simply be a name list [Childs play / normal / tough / nightmare] or a simple icon colour change from yellow, green, orange, red to signify four levels of difficulty.

Fire up some more info and I am sure the TA posse will provide some great feedback for you.

Now Playing: This War of Mine | Motorsport Manager | Hearthstone
12-28-2010, 01:29 AM
i would go with words

or

with a meter gauge.
12-28-2010, 02:29 AM
I just went skiing today and thought of:

Not everybody would immediately recognize the symbols but I think it would be pretty self explanatory. Or else maybe just one star, two stars, and three stars.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
12-28-2010, 12:19 PM
They're are definitely certain options that would work for certain genres.

If it's a game with characters (as opposed to a game made of abstract objects or primitives) maybe have a picture of the enemy to represent the difficulty.

Example:

If there's a werewolf bad guy show:

Easy - little puppy

Medium - Normal werewolf

Hard - Bigger ferocious looking weremonster with giant teeth and red eyes.

I like this idea and I wish I wasn't so lazy. Then I'd give off my butt, fire up maya (like I went to school for) and get back into lower poly modeling.