★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Size of game files becoming an issue?

12-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Size of game files becoming an issue?

With retina displays becoming more the norm lately, I've been noticing a very significant increase in the file size of games to the point where I think it's about to become a real issue. It's not just the Gamelofts and EAs any more; I've been seeing files at around 200 - 300 mb from indie devs as well. Clearly the way things are going it's only going to get worse as everyone plays catch up to the latest graphical trends. The problem is, our devices are simply not currently made to support 1/2 gig+ games. Unless we're happy to have 20-30 games on our devices, that is. If you're like me though, you need room for more like 200-300.

Last couple of weeks, I know I passed on around a half dozen games which would have been almost instant impulse buys otherwise, due to simply not willing to give up that large a chunk of device real estate for something I don't absolutely want.

I wonder if developers are aware they're losing sales in such a manner? Does anyone else see this becoming a concern for them shortly down the road, if not already?
12-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Its already a problem for me. I got NOVA 2 last week but had to delete right after I beat it because my 8 gig 2g simply does not have enough room to keep a 1gig+ game on it, especially when I want other big games on it like LEGO HP, Aralon, and MC2. Hopefully next year, my hands will be holding a 64gig iTouch 5g.

Last edited by crex; 12-27-2010 at 04:36 AM.

12-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
With retina displays becoming more the norm lately, I've been noticing a very significant increase in the file size of games to the point where I think it's about to become a real issue. It's not just the Gamelofts and EAs any more; I've been seeing files at around 200 - 300 mb from indie devs as well. Clearly the way things are going it's only going to get worse as everyone plays catch up to the latest graphical trends. The problem is, our devices are simply not currently made to support 1/2 gig+ games. Unless we're happy to have 20-30 games on our devices, that is. If you're like me though, you need room for more like 200-300.

Last couple of weeks, I know I passed on around a half dozen games which would have been almost instant impulse buys otherwise, due to simply not willing to give up that large a chunk of device real estate for something I don't absolutely want.

I wonder if developers are aware they're losing sales in such a manner? Does anyone else see this becoming a concern for them shortly down the road, if not already?
You are right the files are to getting to large even in normal apps for an example last update they made xsysinfo a universal app probably one of my most used applications. Result of this is it now cleans far less ram and is quadruple the file size it was.

I actually like rage hd but the file size is completely ridiculous for the content and other games are following suit. Gt racing exploded in size after being made universal as well I don't think it was worth it.

You would think apple could make installs that didn't need a few gb of free space to work and then only installed the files necessary for that particurlar device. I have to say in this regard apple devices are in the dark ages don't get me wrong I like mine but the whole itunes thing is badly designed and restrictive.

Just my opinion.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
12-27-2010, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
You would think apple could make installs that didn't need a few gb of free space to work and then only installed the files necessary for that particurlar device. I have to say in this regard apple devices are in the dark ages don't get me wrong I like mine but the whole itunes thing is badly designed and restrictive.
Actually, yes, that's another excellent point. For universal apps, I wonder if someone knows exactly how much data is simply sitting there on my iPod Touch doing absolutely nothing at all since I don't have an iPad. And come to think of it, the same thing for people who own an iPad alone? Is it too outlandish to guess that the file is probably at least twice as large as it need be? Why can't we simply download an iPhone/iTouch file separately from the iPad one and vice-versa? Our purchase price can still buy us both (hence "universal" monicker can remain, and the advantage that comes with it,) but I'd much rather the iPad files sat on Apple's servers instead of idling on my iTouch, until I actually need them?
12-27-2010, 09:33 AM
This is the same argument as thinking having an outdated device is becoming a problem.

Keeping games small is limiting the industry and encouraging games to stay casual. Optimize the size as much as possible, but don't sacrifice anything just because a minority of people have to have everything they own with them at all times, or can't afford a device with more memory.
12-27-2010, 09:53 AM
A very simple solution to this would be to have some kind of online sync/backup service that allows users to backup their app data online so that they can freely delete/reinstall games without worrying about losing all their save data. This is the biggest thing holding the platform back as far as gaming goes because people don't have any control over their game saves. Apple really needs to do something about this especially if they really want iOS to be considered a serious gaming platform that can compete with Sony and Nintendo.

Twitter: @JZWilliams
GameCenter/OpenFeint/GameloftID/Disc Drivin'/Hero Academy: zman2100
12-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
This is the same argument as thinking having an outdated device is becoming a problem.

Keeping games small is limiting the industry and encouraging games to stay casual. Optimize the size as much as possible, but don't sacrifice anything just because a minority of people have to have everything they own with them at all times, or can't afford a device with more memory.
Whoa there, you missed my point completely. There IS no device at the moment with adequate memory to support frequent downloads of half-a-gig-plus games. Apple doesn't make one. The number of people the increase in file size affects is far from a minority; it's literally everyone who owns an iDevice, with only a matter of extent being the difference.
12-27-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't see the problem with games the size of 1/2 GB. That would mean 120 would fit on my iPad, and 60 on my iPhone, assuming I have nothing else stored on them. That's more than enough IMO. Yes there are some idevices with too little storage, but that doesn't mean all games should be made simple and with poor graphics just to support older/cheaper idevices.
12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Actually, yes, that's another excellent point. For universal apps, I wonder if someone knows exactly how much data is simply sitting there on my iPod Touch doing absolutely nothing at all since I don't have an iPad. And come to think of it, the same thing for people who own an iPad alone? Is it too outlandish to guess that the file is probably at least twice as large as it need be? Why can't we simply download an iPhone/iTouch file separately from the iPad one and vice-versa? Our purchase price can still buy us both (hence "universal" monicker can remain, and the advantage that comes with it,) but I'd much rather the iPad files sat on Apple's servers instead of idling on my iTouch, until I actually need them?
Well, in Universal games, a lot of assets are shared between it and the retina version, so it's not that much of a bump in file size (though the retina files do make it have a bump in size).
I have a 64 GB iPod touch and 64 GB iPad so I have space. The largest games are 500 MB or so (except for Myst, etc. which I don't have) so I could have at least 128 games. (I don't keep much music or any videos on either)
12-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Well I've a 64gb ipod version myself, 64gb isn't enough and if game sizes keep going up 128gb won't be enough. Apple need to stop being such control freaks and add sd cards or at least double the space on devices.

If I struggle with 64gb I hate to think how hard people with iphones have it.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out