★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Overrated iOS Game of the Year

12-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Overrated iOS Game of the Year

Aralon. Maybe there is a serious vocal minority kinda thing going on here. I don't know what the team at Galoobeth and CM did to garner such flamboyant, overzealous worship from a certain segment of their fan base, but it's bizarre. Maybe the beta testers foster some kind of weird feeling of kinship with the devs. Anyways, and just my opinion obviously: the game is terribly underwhelming in every aspect but ambition and technical proficiency. God knows they tried, and it's a pretty game and a good time, but Aralon doesn't deliver on those ambitions, from narrative to character development... to downright playability... Call me a hater, but how exactly is this game of the year? Because there's no other game like it in the app store? Infinity Blade has much less in common with other app store fare, and it's an immensely superior game in every aspect possible. Nevermind the graphics, they could be vector-based; the game plays like a dream and has a trailblazing concept perfect for iOS and the app store. Is it possible to dispute that Aralon is derivative to the core? And therein lies my main point; derivative is just about the last word I'd associate with my game of the year. Why not a game that utilizes the strengths of it's platform, for starters?

I don't get it.

Now Playing...FFT: War of the Lions, Tiger Woods '12
GAME CENTER - Alchemistrpm
12-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Infinity Blade superior? The fighter game with great graphics? Disappionted in you, man. :/

Aralon is the most ambitious game in the store, that's sure. I was/am one of the testers, and I can see that they do whatever they can to make the game better, while most games in this category don't get updated ever (lookin' at you Gameloft). How the hell could Aralon be the most overrated game?

\tired, just woke up, sorry for misunderstandings/typos/crappy grammar\

12-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Aralon and IB were both overrated and overhyped.
12-27-2010, 07:00 AM
I think Aralon is one of the more promising games of the year although it definitely needs updates to fix issues I never saw it hyped up anywhere to be honest except on this forum. I think Infinity Blades easily the most overhyped.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
12-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think Aralon is one of the more promising games of the year although it definitely needs updates to fix issues I never saw it hyped up anywhere to be honest except on this forum. I think Infinity Blades easily the most overhyped.
I agree completely. I'm talking about the TA forum here; I come here 90% of the time for iOS gaming news. IB was definitely the most overhyped overall, and it got a ton of attention here. I don't think it's overrated though.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I love the community here. This is just a rant on something to which I don't relate.

12-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistrpm View Post
I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I love the community here. This is just a rant on something to which I don't relate.
I think that happens to everyone at some point. Example: one of the games in your sig: Real Racing 2. Horrible, horrible game in a number of ways, in my opinion. "Overrated" doesn't even begin to cover it for me; more like the folks who like it must be victims of some form of mass hypnosis. See? You probably disagree. Happens to everyone, as I said.
12-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Mirror's Edge, definitely.
12-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I think that happens to everyone at some point. Example: one of the games in your sig: Real Racing 2. Horrible, horrible game in a number of ways, in my opinion. "Overrated" doesn't even begin to cover it for me; more like the folks who like it must be victims of some form of mass hypnosis. See? You probably disagree. Happens to everyone, as I said.
Real Racing 2 didn't reach nearly the same level of fanaticism, nor is it the TA forum's game of the year. Gauging the merits of a game is a matter of opinion, of course. As stated in the OP.

12-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemistrpm View Post
Real Racing 2 didn't reach nearly the same level of fanaticism, nor is it the TA forum's game of the year. Gauging the merits of a game is a matter of opinion, of course. As stated in the OP.
The problem with threads like this is that overrated is such a personal category -- basically, all it means is that other people liked a game more than you did. As Gabrien points out, you could say that about pretty much any well-received game. If I were to name a "top overrated game of 2010" it would be Angry Birds, which is taking the world by storm and bores me within minutes. But to say that it's overrated is to claim that other people shouldn't like it as much as they do. And that's pointless and more than a little self-centered.

As to Aralon vs Infinity Blade, let's just say that there's more than one way to be innovative on a platform. For people who wanted an immersive and expansive experience, Aralon delivered in ways that other handheld (not just iOS) games don't. Infinity Blade is a big deal, too -- it's an innovative take on the fighting game and a big step forward technically and aesthetically. In my view, neither is overrated. But that's just one man's opinion.
12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The problem with threads like this is that overrated is such a personal category -- basically, all it means is that other people liked a game more than you did.

You nailed it.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.