★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How long does it take to produce games?

12-29-2010, 02:53 AM
How long does it take to produce games?

Hi guys,

wanted to get a general consensus regarding the length of time it takes to make a game.

For instance, how long did it take the guys to come up with Fruit Ninja HD?

For Canabalt, it took less than 2 weeks.

What would you say was acceptable timing to come up with a title such as Slice It, Tilt to Live or Zombie Slasher?

I know more complicated games get more time but in general is taking 3 months to complete a game such as Fragger, iBlastMoki or Subrats acceptable?

The reason i ask is because i would like to know a time frame where i can project my team to work on...

Thanks amigos!
12-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Well, this is not an easy question.

If your team is not experienced, you will fall in many pitfall so you need to consider adding a lot of contingent time.

If you check my games: http://www.ovogame.com
I made Smileys in 2 weeks, but Anka took me 15 months (full time).

I'm currently working on a brand new IOS game (casual action game like Angry bird, cut the rope...) I'm planning 2 to a max of 3 month of works. I'm on my own for designing, producing, coding testing and I hire freelance artist for the art. Now, I have decade of experience in game dev, so this might be different if you are innexperienced.

Game creation take time, a lot of time. Having a prototype running is just the beginning of the road.

JC

12-29-2010, 04:23 AM
I agree with Ovogame, each game needs it's own time, a prototype running it's only the beginning. And there's other important thing to add to the timeline, "client now wants X feature" or simply "I don't like this, let's change that".
So a game from start to end maybe could be made in 2 weeks or 1 month, but as soon as you start changing things the time needed would be multiplied by 2
12-29-2010, 04:37 AM
That's what i thought. Thanks guys.

When i started coming up with a game in November, i thought it could be done by end of Dec but it looks like end of Jan with new improvements, better controls, etc.

This timeline is based on a 2 men team with one designer on it full-time.

Game creation takes time but it sure is fun! To see it from paper onto the screen gets me all misty-eyed but sweat and toil along the way is to be expected...
12-29-2010, 04:38 AM
checked out yer games - perhaps, you can turn them into Mac games for the launch of Mac store in Jan? Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
Well, this is not an easy question.

If your team is not experienced, you will fall in many pitfall so you need to consider adding a lot of contingent time.

If you check my games: http://www.ovogame.com
I made Smileys in 2 weeks, but Anka took me 15 months (full time).

I'm currently working on a brand new IOS game (casual action game like Angry bird, cut the rope...) I'm planning 2 to a max of 3 month of works. I'm on my own for designing, producing, coding testing and I hire freelance artist for the art. Now, I have decade of experience in game dev, so this might be different if you are innexperienced.

Game creation take time, a lot of time. Having a prototype running is just the beginning of the road.

JC
12-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzerboy View Post
checked out yer games - perhaps, you can turn them into Mac games for the launch of Mac store in Jan? Just a thought
Thanks. Yes, I have 2 Mac games already but I haven't made them Mac Store compatible yet. I'll do it later when I finally get some free time but I won't be ready on launch day.
12-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzerboy View Post
For Canabalt, it took less than 2 weeks.
If I remember correctly, it was built off of an existing engine.

Also, I believe it was built in 3 phases with downtime in between. Don't underestimate the value of "downtime" in building a game.

For me at least, the time when I am not coding / creating art / etc... is often the time when I come up with the best ideas and think of ways to solve difficult bugs.

Sketch Nation - Create Your Own Game!
Works on iOS, Android, Mac and PC!
Just go to http://sketchnationapp.com/
12-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Ramps is our first iOS game, so we had some turbulence, but for the most part it went pretty smooth. It took us 5 months and about 850 hours.

What I found interesting was that the amount of time invested was split almost evenly between art and visual asset creation and programming. I'm sure this ratio varies by game, though.

RAMPS!! Previously iPhone Game of the Week on the App Store.
"... a simple and stylish physics puzzler that you won't want to put down." - Apple

COMING 10/11/12: Lotsa Blocks!

http://lotsablocks.com
12-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Do you recall what engine it was based on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzan View Post
If I remember correctly, it was built off of an existing engine.

Also, I believe it was built in 3 phases with downtime in between. Don't underestimate the value of "downtime" in building a game.

For me at least, the time when I am not coding / creating art / etc... is often the time when I come up with the best ideas and think of ways to solve difficult bugs.
12-29-2010, 09:29 PM
wow you guys sure clocked it in

if its a one man team, i figure that he/she doesnt have much to lose but when u are running a company, and overheads are hitting more than 10k a month, you start to panic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2elan View Post
Ramps is our first iOS game, so we had some turbulence, but for the most part it went pretty smooth. It took us 5 months and about 850 hours.

What I found interesting was that the amount of time invested was split almost evenly between art and visual asset creation and programming. I'm sure this ratio varies by game, though.