★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What will be the big leap in 2011?

01-01-2011, 07:33 AM
#1
Joined: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 281
What will be the big leap in 2011?

So what do you predict will be the next big step in iOS gaming akin to say Real Racing and Infinity Blade's step up on the graphics front.
01-01-2011, 07:41 AM
#2
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,169
I think apple will have to completely change the hardware to compete graphicly with the newest android tegra 2 handsets and other threats like the 3ds and psp2.

Not saying the current hardware isn't capable of doing great things but I think mobile graphics will make a massive jump in the next year.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

01-01-2011, 07:56 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Super Earth - Our Home.
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I think apple will have to completely change the hardware to compete graphicly with the newest android tegra 2 handsets and other threats like the 3ds and psp2.

Not saying the current hardware isn't capable of doing great things but I think mobile graphics will make a massive jump in the next year.
I'm quite sure the iPhone 4 and 3GS are already faster than the 3DS.
01-01-2011, 08:49 AM
#4
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,169
Might be in pure numbers 3DS is very capable though that chip has a lot of extra effects built in. PSP 2 is being described as a pocket ps3 by certain developers as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-xxUyJvQQ

I think androids the real threat more than the consoles though.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
01-01-2011, 09:33 AM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Super Earth - Our Home.
Posts: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Might be in pure numbers 3DS is very capable though that chip has a lot of extra effects built in. PSP 2 is being described as a pocket ps3 by certain developers as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-xxUyJvQQ

I think androids the real threat more than the consoles though.
In that video
1. It's a tech demo, there are no enemys or real players atall
2. There isn't even a background to the whole place
3. I'm sure the Unreal Engine could do the same thing easily on iOS Devices. The Unreal engine doesen't actually run on the 3DS, right?
01-01-2011, 10:11 AM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
I'm quite sure the iPhone 4 and 3GS are already faster than the 3DS.
Also the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 have a much larger resolution than the 3DS.

Hakuna Matata
01-01-2011, 10:52 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: #317
Posts: 1,216
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwallace1 View Post
can't wait till iOS4 takes over handhold consoles in terms of graphics!
it already has

You won't find me on the leaderboards.
01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
#8
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Belfast N Ireland
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwallace1 View Post
can't wait till iOS4 takes over handhold consoles in terms of graphics!
At the minute they pretty much have in honesty the real question is how long can they hold on to it. Infinity blade is stunning so is Rage HD but technology marches on.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 31.560499, -111.904128
Posts: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by swishinj View Post
it already has
Yup. Games like NOVA 2, Infinity Blade, Shadow Guardian, Real Racing 2, Aralon etc easily beat the graphics of PSP, DS and 3DS games (at least from the screenshots of 3DS games we've seen so far). Gameplay quality isn't quite there yet however. Although the most recent games like the ones I mentioned above, are signs that the gameplay of iOS games is evolving.

I hope for 2011, there will be less focus on the graphics and more attention to the gameplay quality and content of games.

Hakuna Matata