★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Cluemaster
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 17.1 MB
  • Version: 1.17
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Please visit our web site www.socialpuzzler.com for info on Social Sudoku.

Social Sudoku The first multi-player Sudoku from the puzzlers behind the LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Daily Telegraph as well as the worlds largest Sudoku community - sudoku.org.uk!

With a new Sudoku Solver which takes you through step by step the process of solving your Sudoku. Refer to the included strategy guide in order to learn more about solving Sudoku.

Want the Sudoku you know and love? Social Sudoku has all your favorite styles within the same app ranging from Gentle and Moderate to Diabolical and Extreme!

*Classic Sudoku
*Killer Sudoku
*Jigsaw Sudoku
*Kakuro
*Mini Sudoku
*Sudoku X

***MULTI-PLAYER MADNESS***
Why do we call it Social Sudoku? Because its the first time EVER you can play Sudoku LIVE against a friend using Apples Game Center!

HOW IT WORKS:
Challenge a friend and both players will be presented with the same puzzle. As you correctly fill in a number, you score points and the number appears on your opponents board, blocking them out.

Dont just guess! Get the number wrong and youre locked out into the Sin Bin for 10 seconds while your opponent continues to play. Time enough to reflect on your rash decision and for your opponent to streak ahead.

THE FEATURES YOU DEMAND:
*One player practice and multiplayer madness modes
*Pencil marks allow you to solve the most challenging puzzles
*Auto-Possible setting allows you to see every possible number in a square

Make sure to follow us on Facebook or on Twitter @SocialPuzzler

Please update your iPhone/iPad to iOS 4.2 which will give you Game Center functionality and much more.

Appency's comments:
Hi Guys and Gals,

We have joined up with Cluemasters - the folks behind the Sudoku puzzles at the LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Daily Telegraph and more to create the first multi-player head-to-head Sudoku arcade game, called Social Sudoku.

You can play normal Sudoku and many of the variations (Sudoku X, Killer Sudoku, etc) - but the cool part is really trying to play live against a friend, a whole new take on a classic game.

This is NOT a "who can complete the puzzle fastest independently", as all of the other two payers Sudoku games are. This is two people, playing on the same board, blocking each others moved and fighting to see who has the quickest brain.

Theres about 1000 users at this point, so its a bit hard to find a player for head-to-head. If you want to play head-to-head, please post on here your GameCenter name and preferred time to try it out, and I or another person on the team will try to help setup a game with you (or people can set one up with each other).

Working on a lite version as well, and we will let everyone know when it comes out!

Images below:

01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Send a message via AIM to Appency Send a message via Skype™ to Appency
Oh, and we have some codes if anyone is interested

01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appency View Post
Oh, and we have some codes if anyone is interested
I would be very interested in a code, thanks!

I was wondering if the puzzles are randomly generated and if not how many there were?
01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I loved the idea of this... so I bought it... and first, I'll say that for the Single Player mode alone, this is superb - six variations of Sudoku, really nicely presented. Definitely worth the price of admission.

... which is just as well, since the Multi-player mode is broken :-(

Two reasons why:

(1) If you have a choice of two cells for a digit then you can simply guess - you have a 50/50 chance to get it right. If you get it wrong, you get a 10 second delay on being able to continue. This is no deterrent. I would suggest, instead, to impose a 'three strikes' rule - place three in the wrong place and you lose the game. Display how many strikes each player has. This would definitely work. Alternatively, impose negative points on a guess: -40 would probably be a good balance.

(2) The 'Auto Possibles' needs to be disabled in Single Player mode; it just makes it too easy to 'spot' the obvious cells. Not as 'broken' as (1) but definitely a game spoiler.

Please consider fixing at least (1); honestly, I just played my wife to try this out and it seemed completely pointless once we both realised we could 'guess' with little penalty and then turning on AutoComplete actually took all the thinking out of the game and turned it in to a race.

Finally, I don't know how to play all of the variations - so I tried to access the 'Help' - but this seems to be a representation of a document not designed for viewing on an iPhone - I suspect it's fine on an iPad but on an iPhone 4 it's just too small to read without having to 'zoom' in on the text - which is quite uncomfortable. I suggest this is laid out to accomodate the smaller screen.

Having said all this... as I say, it's a GREAT app for Sudoku and variants. If the Multiplayer is fixed it'll be REALLY good... fingers crossed...

Cheers,

Jamie.
01-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I would appreciate a promo code please if you have any left. I would also like to play head to head with one of you to help further the game environment
01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Just played a Mini Sudoku...

App doesn't seem to recognise when the puzzle has been solved? Clock just keeps ticking and no notification of completion at all. I've checked and double checked and I've definitely solved it. Taken a pic of the puzzle if it helps. If the small number to the left of the 'clear cell' button is the puzzle number then it's 2457 if that helps.

Regards,

Jamie.

Last edited by badmanj; 01-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.
01-03-2011, 04:13 AM
... and seemingly endless GameCentre connection errors which no other game seems to give.

I think this game is in serious need of an update to be honest. When it's working properly it could be the very best Sudoku offering in the App Store.

Jamie.
01-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Promo Code

Hello,

i'm very interested too!
Could you pm me a promo code for your sudoku?

I'll write some impressions then!

thx in advance!

thehype
01-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Fixed in next release

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
Just played a Mini Sudoku...

App doesn't seem to recognise when the puzzle has been solved? Clock just keeps ticking and no notification of completion at all. I've checked and double checked and I've definitely solved it. Taken a pic of the puzzle if it helps. If the small number to the left of the 'clear cell' button is the puzzle number then it's 2457 if that helps.

Regards,

Jamie.
Hi Jamie,

I can confirm that this is a bug in the iPhone version of the app. This has been fixed and will appear in the next release.

Sorry about that one. Once you have completed a puzzle you can just move onto the next.

Regards,

Trevor
01-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Send a message via AIM to Appency Send a message via Skype™ to Appency
Thanks for the great comments Jamie, they are all being taken on board and are being addressed.

The multiplayer game works very well if you are inviting friends to play. The auto match feature of the Game Center does not seem to work very well, possibly because of the number of people playing. We are looking at how you can register to join a circle of friends but this is proving to be a little tricky. I would advise players to add friends and then invite them to play multiplayer.

In the multiplayer game I agree that maybe the 10 second sin bin is too little. There are a few options like increasing the 10 seconds by 5 seconds each time, giving the opponent the cell if you are trying to solve a cell where there are less than 3 possible options (or even any number of possibles), or as you said, giving a points penalty as well as the sin bin.

Our current thinking is that we will impose a 40 point penalty and see if that is enough

Also agree regarding auto-possible. This will probably first go away in the next update, and then become an option only if both players want it in a later version.

Looking to try out a multi-player game? Our accounts are "PuzzleMad" and "Appency" - were happy to play. (PuzzleMad is for those looking for a challenge, and you'll probably kick Appency's butt...). Please post your own names here and we will add you and try to setup a game. Were working on getting some tourneys put together. As the game grows, it will be easier to find more players.

We will send over some codes to players today that have requested!