★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games designed for the iPad?

01-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Games designed for the iPad?

Ok, here's a stupid question: Are there any games designed ONLY for the iPad?

As I wait for Apple to approve my game (see sig), I was thinking about the fact that I chose the iPad for its larger screen. The number of things the player has to track along with the need for large controls made the game a poor fit for the iPhone. Thus I didn't even consider porting the game until the iPad came out.

Yet looking over the games on the market, it doesn't seem that developers have really focused on taking advantage of the platform. Nearly every iPad game I look at is either Universal or has an iPhone counterpart.

While the reasons are obvious (more customers == greater revenue), the larger screen offers a lot of potential for detailed interfaces that simply wouldn't be practical on the iPhone's screen. (e.g. RTSes need a lot of screen real-estate. Board games can be more like the real thing. Simulations can provide detailed stats in real-time. etc.) It seems like a really good iPad-only game has an opportunity to shine.

As I type this, I can think of exactly two:

1. World of Goo
2. BioDefense HD

Both of those are surprisingly good examples of how the iPad can shine over the iPhone's smaller screen size. Can anyone think of other iPad-only games?

What do you get when you cross Robotron with Bomberman? - Coverfire HD
01-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post

As I wait for Apple to approve my game (see sig), I was thinking about the fact that I chose the iPad for its larger screen. The number of things the player has to track along with the need for large controls made the game a poor fit for the iPhone. Thus I didn't even consider porting the game until the iPad came out.

Yet looking over the games on the market, it doesn't seem that developers have really focused on taking advantage of the platform. Nearly every iPad game I look at is either Universal or has an iPhone counterpart.

While the reasons are obvious (more customers == greater revenue), the larger screen offers a lot of potential for detailed interfaces that simply wouldn't be practical on the iPhone's screen. (e.g. RTSes need a lot of screen real-estate. Board games can be more like the real thing. Simulations can provide detailed stats in real-time. etc.) It seems like a really good iPad-only game has an opportunity to shine.

As I type this, I can think of exactly two:

1. World of Goo
2. BioDefense HD

Both of those are surprisingly good examples of how the iPad can shine over the iPhone's smaller screen size. Can anyone think of other iPad-only games?
Yes there are plenty of games designed only for the Ipad. But in my opinion it would make more sense tom make a Universal app.

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!

01-02-2011, 03:41 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
All HD games.
01-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
Yes there are plenty of games designed only for the Ipad.
Such as?

01-02-2011, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
All HD games.
What's the old saying? Ask a stupid question...

01-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Look here http://appshopper.com/ipad/games/

App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
01-02-2011, 06:53 AM
"Caveman's Quest HD" is iPad only and there is no iPod/iPhone version.

"Eden's Quest" was iPad only; it seems to have gone from the store now but the lite version is there and it is Ipad only.

"Asteroids HD" doesn't have an iPod/iPhone version. Neither does Pentris and a couple of other games by the same dev.

It's hard to think of any others that are unique to the iPad (i.e. not universal or just HD versions of iPhone games). Looking at a list of iPad apps on Appshopper (or anywhere else) just proves this.

"Robokill" was originally iPad only. There is now an iPhone versione. It is not Universal.

"Osmos for iPad" - again, there's a different version for iPad and iPod/iPhone. Same with "Journey of Fortune - Dragon's Fire".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesusFish View Post
I like plenty of bad games, but I don't go around telling people they are good.
Arcadelife

GC - JohnT321
01-02-2011, 09:06 AM
You can also go to Appshopper.com and search for all iPad games: new,price changes, all, etc
01-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlemi View Post
You can also go to Appshopper.com and search for all iPad games: new,price changes, all, etc
I have mentioned that already. Scroll up.

01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonepepe View Post
SimCity by EA which came out a few weeks ago is only ipad...
Technologically yes, But there is a IPhone version.