★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Virtual controls are awesome (Brad). Get over it.

01-03-2011, 05:39 PM

I thought we we over the controls debate a year ago, and yet we have site editorials still crying about virtual controls; I thought I had clicked on 1up.com or Gamefaqs by mistake.

As much as we'd like to tout the virtues of literally playing to the strengths, the cold fact is the for every successful game without virtual controls, these are in the slim minority. Consider a few examples:

- For every Infinity Blade with touch controls that put a smile on your face, there's a dozen craptacular Chop Chop Cavemens that handle so awfully the developers are forced sheepishly to add virtual controls just to get the basic platforming working.

- Soosiz handles way better than the Rolando series.

- Nobody plays Blades of Fury seriously with swipe controls, you turn on the virtual controls.

- Street Fighter 4, the current and longstanding king of fighting games has made a home on iOS devices using virtual controls just fine.

- EA and Gameloft could not have sustained a market if they tried to support a market solely on non-traditional games, and neither would a lot of indies.

- The Toucharcade GOTY is Aralon, a game that wouldn't be as enjoyable without the option of virtual controls.

You try so hard to for a distinction between iOS gaming and "traditional gaming" as if the glory of iOS gaming was made possible only by this touch screen device. The fact is it's those developers and gamers, who were all brought up by gaming with buttons, extended themselves into a new platform, not abandon the culture that made them. So of COURSE you're going to see tons of those of games. And guess what, shoehorning swipe controls has time and time again been proven WORSE that the glut of virtual control schemes that are at least functional. And we have tons of examples of game that work just fine with VCS.

Your soapbox editorial doesn't jive with reality. Games with virtual controls are not only justified and necessary in the AppStore, but are enjoyable. They will coexist with touch/ tilt games, not be replaced by them. Swallow your damn pride and deal with it.
01-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Take THAT, Brad Nicholson!!!

01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
While I welcome and appreciate the discussion, I think you're missing my larger point. Also, you're just pointing out bad design as a point in favor of virtual control.
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh, right. Don't forget to swallow your pride, yadda yadda yadda.
01-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartel
If only people would realize that everyone is different and has different likes/preferences instead of claiming they are wrong. Sigh.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 01-03-2011 at 05:51 PM.
01-03-2011, 05:52 PM
This is seriously just your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Lol Brad you don't ever post in discussions? Poo.
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
If only people would realize that everyone is different and has different likes/preferences. Sigh.
There's a difference between stating an opinion, and stating an opinion as a fact.

"The simple fact of the matter is that our touch devices can do two things really well: touch and swipe not A, B, X, or Y and analog sticks."

I had the pleasure of playing Street Fighter IV on a friend's iPhone. Virtual controls can be a breeze to use if they're done well.
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsharpfilm View Post
There's a difference between stating an opinion, and stating an opinion as a fact.

"The simple fact of the matter is that our touch devices can do two things really well: touch and swipe not A, B, X, or Y and analog sticks."

I had the pleasure of playing Street Fighter IV on a friend's iPhone. Virtual controls can be a breeze to use if they're done well.
Now you're just playing with context. C'mon. You like virtual controls! I don't!
01-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Here it goes expressing an opinion and you get shot.
I do not agree with Brad, but that is a matter of taste. No need for this thread whatsoever.
But .... I wish devs would try their best to use the new multitouch and create something cool as well. It is coming (see board games, various match3, chop chop guys still try, world of goo, etc.) .... I hope.

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
To the OP, ouch...

Yeah I like Virtual Controls just fine, most games make good use of them, but Brad was just stating his opinion. Kind of a shitty outlook on a matter, but that's an entirely different discussion.

I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.