★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Thoughts on Strategic Assault?

10-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Thoughts on Strategic Assault?

It looks like it could be a neat little RTS, but I'm holding my breath.

I did some digging and saw that it was released for Pocket PC and had only 15 missions. I was just wondering if anybody here bought it, either for PPC or from the App Store. The screens look ok, but I can't find a video or a review of the game and I'd like some info before I plunk down the $3.
10-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Bought it this afternoon, played for about fifteen minutes.

Overall I'd say it's OK - they really need to work on a better movement method - as it stands now, the only way to view different parts of the playing field is to switch to radar view and click the mini-map. They really need to add a two-finger drag or something ... The view is fixed (no zoom) and it's really frustrating to not be able to see objects just barely off the screen without having to switch back to the radar view and click - the view switch is sudden, not smooth - so it feels really awkward.

OTOH, there are no other RTS games currently available, so if you're into this kind of game, you don't have much choice.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for AgileForces to hit the App Store, although short of the jailbreak version which was available months ago (that I loved!) I haven't heard anything new. Hell, I'd even plop down $9.99 on an EA RTS (C&C, etc) if they ported one.
10-28-2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the info.

*sigh* a million and a half match-3-solitaire-sudoku-pong flashlights and not ONE decent RTS?

I guess I'll just have to keep using my iPod to listen to music.
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for pointing out that the game would be improved by allowing drag-scrolling of the main view. Quite a few people have said that now, and we are working to add the feature. We hope to submit an updated version this coming weekend.

Simon
Xen Games Ltd
10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Bought it today and wholly disliked it. I couldn't be more unsatisfied with this game. The production values are very low, the graphics are honestly terrible (I'm talking crude, barely passable "3D" models that would look bad on a Super Nintendo), using the radar to move the map feels awkward and jerky...

I bought it with high hopes and it turned out to be on par with most free games. That is to say, not worth the trouble. Couldn't play for more than 10 minutes without feeling upset about it. The interface is just a kick in the balls. Most of the buttons, simply put, were NOT designed with the finger touch interface in mind - they are MICROSCOPIC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the game lacks polish. Everything, from the interface to the graphics to the gameplay, shows, at best, a complete lack of polish and at worst, a lack of effort. I can't stomach going from, say, Fieldrunners (a game with amazing production values, a finger-friendly interface, and great graphics), to this game. The contrast in the production values is just too great. This is NOT worth $3, not by a longshot.

Sorry if I sound harsh, Simon, But I got to be honest. Feels like I paid money just to try a (terrible) game.

I'd gladly pay 20-30 dollars for a full fledged, quality, online-capable RTS with decent graphics and gameplay. This isn't it.

Last edited by IzzyNobre; 10-29-2008 at 08:46 AM.
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Here's hoping the dev with address these issues.