★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-Plane is no longer the only flight sim... (Wings)

10-28-2008, 01:00 AM
X-Plane is no longer the only flight sim... (Wings)

Has anyone noticed that a new flight sim called Wings is in the AppStore? It looks pretty awesome, and I am buying it now. I will post my thoughts and maybe a comparison to X-Plane.

Here's the link to it in the AppStore: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294081600&mt=8

Game Center ID: Vaelsh
I'm playing: Small World 2, The Pinball Arcade, Terraria
I'm waiting for: Shadowrun Returns, Micromon, Oceanhorn!
10-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Does not look like a flight sim at all. Looks more like some kind of relaxation app where you fly over snowy mountains, no signs of any real controls on the screenshots. Will be interesting to see what you think about it.

10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm really curious about this. If anyone makes or finds a video of it, I'd love to see it. I love X-Plane, but I'm not exactly a flight simulator fan, so something completely fake looking wouldn't bother me at all.
10-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Looks good. Hmm... I'm not expecting it to be full-featured, but for $1.99, I'm tempted to try it out. The price/feature ratio was the only thing holding me back from the original X-Plane. I'll probably wait for a good review or two just to make sure it's not a buggy or utterly crappy program before giving it a try.
10-28-2008, 01:17 AM
If they make the graphic as awesome as Kroll or NFS, I actually prefer this to X-Plane. I just wanna fly in free mode, and this suits me.

Now I'll be waiting for Wave Race 64 free mode for iPhone.
10-28-2008, 02:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
I'm really curious about this. If anyone makes or finds a video of it, I'd love to see it. I love X-Plane, but I'm not exactly a flight simulator fan, so something completely fake looking wouldn't bother me at all.
Our video of this should be up tomorrow, in HD and regular flavors.

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com
10-28-2008, 02:36 AM
This does look really nice. However I am rather dubious. It doesn't say anything about different planes (or even what the plane is if there is only one), realistic flight controls, or even if you can actually LAND anywhere!
Part of what makes X-Plane fun for me is landing the plane in various conditions- it can actually be quite tense, and you need a steady hand. If this app doesn't allow you to land anywhere then I won't bother.
Their website isn't much help either.
10-28-2008, 02:43 AM
It seems it doesn't offer anymore than X-Plane, but is aimed at people who think X-Plane is too technical. It may not be for me then, but I'm still curious.
10-28-2008, 04:21 AM
Review

Bought Wings. Curiosity got the better of me.
No plane, it's like you're basically just moving through the air, across mountains and valleys.
There're two modes - float and flight. Float is the same as flight, only slower. Also, I think the controls are inverted for one and not the other. Flight mode seemed much more interesting to me tho. Controls somehow seem fairly tight, even though there's no way to see your craft.
There are four locations (Read: four different colours of terrain).
This is NOT a flight sim... more like a relaxation app I would say. There's no take-off and landing, and no real aircraft.
As boring and pointless as it all sounds, I actually like this app.
It's really relaxing, and I've already got more peaceful enjoyment from it than I did from X-Plane.
That said, its really not a game - get X-Plane for any sort of challenge.
But if you are interested in a sort of peaceful flight/float app, this is it
In summary: not much to it, no challenge, but if you're in the market for some simple relaxing fun, check it out.
It does what it is trying to do (not much at all) well - especially at $2.50

Last edited by alza; 10-28-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Clarity
10-28-2008, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
This does look really nice. However I am rather dubious. It doesn't say anything about different planes (or even what the plane is if there is only one), realistic flight controls, or even if you can actually LAND anywhere!
Part of what makes X-Plane fun for me is landing the plane in various conditions- it can actually be quite tense, and you need a steady hand. If this app doesn't allow you to land anywhere then I won't bother.
Their website isn't much help either.
Oh and you can't land to answer your question. If you hit the ground, it simply vibrates and you keep going. No control over speed at all either.
Hope that helps