★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

It's said that 90%+ downloads are from mobile, right?

01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
It's said that 90%+ downloads are from mobile, right?

It's said that 90%+ downloads are from mobile appstore, I read it from a blog which I forgot. Is that true?

Our game Robot Factory has got featured 2 weeks ago, in Games/Adventure section of Mac iTune store. However, in the past ten days, we only got 10+ avg downloads per day.

So damn frustrating...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shenmadous.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	28591  

Quote:
--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------
01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
That sounds about right. There are relatively few people using iTunes to download apps, and even fewer people navigating iTunes category section.

There was an AppStore bug a few months ago which caused universal apps to disappear from the iPhone AppStore. They were still visible in iTunes and on iPad AppStore. Sales of one of my affected apps dropped to almost nothing until this was corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waigo21 View Post
It's said that 90%+ downloads are from mobile appstore, I read it from a blog which I forgot. Is that true?

Our game Robot Factory has got featured 2 weeks ago, in Games/Adventure section of Mac iTune store. However, in the past ten days, we only got 10+ avg downloads per day.

So damn frustrating...

01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:

So damn frustrating...
The Games/Subcategory features are automated and don't mean anything anyway. Pretty much everyone gets them if they sell a certain amount in one store. Since they're not chosen by Apple, they're not shown on the device and effectively don't matter at all.
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, I just grumble a little.
Every time you see the 'Undead apps', such as ABirds, DJump, etc. You do realize that it's toooooo hard to beat them. They know how to update frequently, spending the right money to buy Ads, and so many way to keep their position at the top list.

Stop complaining, Back to work now~~~

Quote:
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Well, I just grumble a little.
Every time you see the 'Undead apps', such as ABirds, DJump, etc. You do realize that it's toooooo hard to beat them. They know how to update frequently, spending the right money to buy Ads, and so many way to keep their position at the top list.

Stop complaining, Back to work now~~~
Learn from them, don't despise them
08-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Well, the app annie said that our new game Robot Bros got featured on iTunes puzzle category. Any is better than none. Hope it the sales will grow faster next week.

Quote:
08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm convinced that if my (only) app was < 20MB then sales would at least pay for the licence to sell it in the first place. 10 sales per day is better than nothing! My next game will be free, with just a form of a "more games" button to at least get the old app's name around a little.

BubbleSand - "the best sand app"
Tetroms
08-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitter View Post
I'm convinced that if my (only) app was < 20MB then sales would at least pay for the licence to sell it in the first place. 10 sales per day is better than nothing! My next game will be free, with just a form of a "more games" button to at least get the old app's name around a little.
Good idea. The future is in free games unfortunately, as frustrating as that is to many. Virtual goods and IAPs are where it's at.

After RoboHero, all our future games will be high quality F2P titles with some form of IAP.

I just got off the phone with TapJoy, who of course has a vested interest in F2P games, but they said that many developers start making as much as 500x the revenue once they switch their games to free. Go figure!
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravadoWaffle View Post
Good idea. The future is in free games unfortunately, as frustrating as that is to many. Virtual goods and IAPs are where it's at.
i think thats a way to broad claim..

free is definatly not the future, thats silly.. free is one big chunk of the current market and will be in the future.. as will "traditional" pay once products.. the shares will shift back and forth but thats always happening.

saying the future are free games is just a tad too naive.

actualy creating a properly working free to play title is even more difficult than making a traditional game. i've seen many devs here struggling with it and hole monetarization departments poping up next to programming, game design, graphics dept etc.

alot of devs struggle to even make a proper "simple" game.. i can't see them making appealing free to play games.. just making a game free and slapping a few iap into it does not gurantee success.. by faar..

do yourself a favour and check out the heavily battlefield called browsergames.. there are trillions of titles begging for the players attention.. a huge chaos of different titles from different devs/publishers asking for your time.. but alot of the smaller joints actualy struggles to earn money.. its not much different from indies on the appstore..

Quote:
After RoboHero, all our future games will be high quality F2P titles with some form of IAP.

I just got off the phone with TapJoy, who of course has a vested interest in F2P games, but they said that many developers start making as much as 500x the revenue once they switch their games to free. Go figure!
well i just got off the phone with microsofts gaming division pr manager and he said that many developers developing 360 games star making as much as 500x the revenue once they switched to the 360 platform.. *cough*

see the point.. everyone wants to sell their crap.. so don't sell into pr blurbs..

its the same nonsense that people believe they will become millionaire after putting out their generic game on the appstore.

there is no money rain happening.. no matter if you go free to play or not..
if you don't have a product that can compete with the best sitting up there on the ranks.

as for the original post..

Quote:
thats as vague as a question can be.. 90% downloads of what.. ?

in global term of gam industrie people should still realize that the appstore itself is a tiny market.. not nearly as big as alot devs think it is..

during wwdc 2011 apple said they paid out 2,5 billion to devs.. during the 2010 wwdc it was 1 billion.. but what they did not say is over what timeframe.. so even asuming its over the timeframe of a year and not accumulated.. this is still small money compared to what blockbuster games on "traditional" platform earn.. for example gta4 grossed 500mil within a week after its release.. and that one big title against the complete appstore not only the games section.. now add all the big titles of the different publisher and money printing games like wow into the round and you see that iOS gaming is only a splinter of the hole market.. and people like to exaggerate the size.
dfc market researcher estimates that games were a $60.4 billion business in 2009 and that it was rising, so taking a few steps back and taking a look at the hole picture puts alot of thoose numbers into perspective and show real size..

so to come back.. 90% of what exactly.. maybe you should find your source again this is surely beter than guesswork.
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
thats as vague as a question can be.. 90% downloads of what.. ?
I believe he's saying 90% of Appstore sales are from the iOS device opposed to iTunes on a Desktop. I agree though, its rather open to interpretation but thats how I see it.

I'd be really interested to know if this is true. I'm trying to keep my app below 20MB but if it is true then I guess i'll have to try harder!