★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cross Platform with Mac Apps ?

01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Cross Platform with Mac Apps ?

With the mac app store (or whatever it its ) officially live do you think that we will see developers have cross platform play such as being possible to have a game on iphone or ipad play against someone on the computer?

I think this definitely has some good possibilities and alot of potential. However one area of concern that i have is that the mac platform is more open if you will than the ios (with the exception of jail breaking) so would people have a greater opportunity to use exploits and hacks ?

Thoughts/opinions ?
01-06-2011, 12:46 PM
As soon as Game Center comes to the Mac, it'll be easy and will definitely happen.

Twitter: @Zincous
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
This is 100% possible currently. I am working in Unity3d now http://www.unity3d.com/. It provides an out of box solution for networking which works on iOS, pc, mac, andriod etc... and these all work with each other. My current prototype works on desktop and iOS and I am able to play against my desktop on my iPhone. The issue arises in certain games, desktop has a huge advantage with mouse/keyboard controls, specifically in shooters. Also as you have said before, its much easier to hack anything on the desktop platform so cheating would be much more prevalent.

Invulse Games - Website | Twitter
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by invulse View Post
This is 100% possible currently. I am working in Unity3d now http://www.unity3d.com/. It provides an out of box solution for networking which works on iOS, pc, mac, andriod etc... and these all work with each other. My current prototype works on desktop and iOS and I am able to play against my desktop on my iPhone. The issue arises in certain games, desktop has a huge advantage with mouse/keyboard controls, specifically in shooters. Also as you have said before, its much easier to hack anything on the desktop platform so cheating would be much more prevalent.
The Game "Agents!" is crossplatform right now!!!

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Our game Monster Ball (iphone, ipad, mac) have had crossplatform multiplayer for over a year now...