★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Angry Birds by Rovio [4.99]

01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
#1
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Angry Birds by Rovio [4.99]




Angry Birds is on sale for 4.99, with a final purchase price of 9.99.

Includes all the levels from the iPhone version, but not any exclusives. Rovio also say that Angry birds for Mac will feature unnamed enhancements not found on the mobile versions.

Finally, Angry Birds for Mac is expected to receive the same updates that the iPhone version gets.
Screenshots:






Last edited by K?!; 02-08-2011 at 06:15 PM.
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
#2
Maybe they are too busy playing it? I know i am

01-06-2011, 06:10 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Posts: 489
Anyone actually played it yet? Curious if it's improved or any better than the ipad version? Interested but not sure I need to spend another $5 on this franchise.
01-06-2011, 07:01 PM
#4
Screen Resolution

I wonder how it will work on a screen that is 1024x720?

Does it have full screen support?
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptapdev View Post
I wonder how it will work on a screen that is 1024x720?

Does it have full screen support?
It works perfectly on the iMac 27-in screen (1920 x 1080) -full screen support-
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptapdev View Post
I wonder how it will work on a screen that is 1024x720?

Does it have full screen support?
It's *only* full screen. Some have complained about that, but I have no idea why. The game is awesome. Note that some Macs are not running it properly, though. Crash at start. Intel GMAsomethingorother is noted by the dev as not currently working, but they are working on a fix. On my current gen Mac mini running on a 1600x900 display, it's beautiful. Tonight I'm going to plug my Mac mini into the TV and give it a whirl there.

Note: you zoom in and out via the scroll wheel on a mouse. I presume with a trackpad you zoom in and out with two-finger scrolling, but don't quote me on it as I can't try that out yet.

Also worth noting, the Mac App Store seems to let you install on more then one computer, like the iTunes store does. I don't know the limit. Anyone know?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaff View Post
Anyone actually played it yet? Curious if it's improved or any better than the ipad version? Interested but not sure I need to spend another $5 on this franchise.
I can't help you really, because I don't have an iPad, but the game is beautiful on a big display, and they are promising new levels and features unique to the Mac App Store version, though there is none of that right now. So right now, perhaps it's not worth it for iPad players, but for me, with an iPhone, it was worth it.

One thing I miss, though, is Gamecenter. I hope they are going to bring Gamecenter to the Mac. Also, regarding this game itself, I wish it had multiple saves. You can have multiple accounts on your Mac, but we share one account, so I really wish there were multiple saves within the game itself. Maybe in an update?

Last edited by crunc; 01-07-2011 at 11:22 AM.
01-07-2011, 11:29 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: SG
Posts: 3,549
with trackpad, you zoom in and out with pinching gestures. Drag and release to shoot. Its basically like playing angry birds on any iOS device. The mouse cursor does appear whenever any menu appears though.

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
#8
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
It's *only* full screen. Some have complained about that, but I have no idea why. The game is awesome. Note that some Macs are not running it properly, though. Crash at start. Intel GMAsomethingorother is noted by the dev as not currently working, but they are working on a fix. On my current gen Mac mini running on a 1600x900 display, it's beautiful. Tonight I'm going to plug my Mac mini into the TV and give it a whirl there.

Note: you zoom in and out via the scroll wheel on a mouse. I presume with a trackpad you zoom in and out with two-finger scrolling, but don't quote me on it as I can't try that out yet.

Also worth noting, the Mac App Store seems to let you install on more then one computer, like the iTunes store does. I don't know the limit. Anyone know?




I can't help you really, because I don't have an iPad, but the game is beautiful on a big display, and they are promising new levels and features unique to the Mac App Store version, though there is none of that right now. So right now, perhaps it's not worth it for iPad players, but for me, with an iPhone, it was worth it.

One thing I miss, though, is Gamecenter. I hope they are going to bring Gamecenter to the Mac. Also, regarding this game itself, I wish it had multiple saves. You can have multiple accounts on your Mac, but we share one account, so I really wish there were multiple saves within the game itself. Maybe in an update?
Use Command + F to force any app out of full screen mode and into window mode.

Completly agree about Game Center support.

I'm guessing the Mac App Store is like the iTunes App Store, where the same account can install on an unlimited number of devices.
01-08-2011, 02:55 PM
#9
Scrolling backgrounds and great controls!

Being a fan of the ios versions, I had to try this out.
The multi layered backgrounds are a nice addition.

OSX needs game center now though.

Overall very well done.

I certainly wouldn't complain about full screen only but i can see that being a plus.

I like to play games while work projects are rendering, loading, etc...
I am one of those that do about 15 things at a time on two monitors so windowed would be nice but not a game killer by any means.
01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
#10
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsvswizards.com View Post
Being a fan of the ios versions, I had to try this out.
The multi layered backgrounds are a nice addition.

OSX needs game center now though.

Overall very well done.

I certainly wouldn't complain about full screen only but i can see that being a plus.

I like to play games while work projects are rendering, loading, etc...
I am one of those that do about 15 things at a time on two monitors so windowed would be nice but not a game killer by any means.
Holding down Command and the F key should kick any App Store app into window mode.