★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Promo Section

03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
#1
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 193
Promo Section

Looked to see if this has been brought up didn't see anything...

I think it would be cool to have section dedicated to developer promotions. This way they don't get buried under all the other posts and everyone has a chance to see them. Then Dev's wont feel the need to Bump theirs to the front page to try and get more views. So what do you think?

| Jon Wheat | BitCaper |Twitter
Games: Block Knights, S.C.U.D.
See what people are saying about Block Knights here, here, here and here
Check out our development podcast for S.C.U.D.
03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: You need to stalk me?
Posts: 2,117
Send a message via AIM to superbad
No, no and no.

The forums exist primarily for discussion, methinks.

If we create a separate promo forum, that lessens the chances of honest reviewers to get a code because guests and freeloaders will hog the hell out of it.

Developers are getting smarter these days and not putting PROMO CODE GIVEAWAY on their thread titles. Promo code calls are hidden in their posts only for those who at least like to read.

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **

03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
#3
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
No, no and no.

The forums exist primarily for discussion, methinks.

If we create a separate promo forum, that lessens the chances of honest reviewers to get a code because guests and freeloaders will hog the hell out of it.

Developers are getting smarter these days and not putting PROMO CODE GIVEAWAY on their thread titles. Promo code calls are hidden in their posts only for those who at least like to read.
that's fair... I guess I was thinking of the promos where you actually have to do something to get the code or whatever they are giving away. Not the ones that just post codes in the topic. I don't relay consider that a promotion, not to much "marketing" going on (not that there is anything wrong with it ).

| Jon Wheat | BitCaper |Twitter
Games: Block Knights, S.C.U.D.
See what people are saying about Block Knights here, here, here and here
Check out our development podcast for S.C.U.D.
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,186
I think a seperate promo code forum is a good idea and would be something that these forums would benefit from.

To be honest it's a struggle to follow a lot of threads in these forums at the moment. I come here to learn about games, not about promo codes and promo code competitions. Every second post these days seems to be about promo codes. I'm finding more and more that learning about the actual gameplay and a games strengths and weaknesses is a struggle. I'm having to spend a lot of time reading through posts about promo codes in the search for actual information about a game and how it plays.

I also tend to ignore many of the reviews given by promo code recipients. I think a lot of people give a more positive and less harsh review when they have received a promo code. I know that this is not everyone who receives a promo code. But I find I trust reviews by users here less and less these days because of this.
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
I think a seperate promo code forum is a good idea and would be something that these forums would benefit from.

To be honest it's a struggle to follow a lot of threads in these forums at the moment. I come here to learn about games, not about promo codes and promo code competitions. Every second post these days seems to be about promo codes. I'm finding more and more that learning about the actual gameplay and a games strengths and weaknesses is a struggle. I'm having to spend a lot of time reading through posts about promo codes in the search for actual information about a game and how it plays.

I also tend to ignore many of the reviews given by promo code recipients. I think a lot of people give a more positive and less harsh review when they have received a promo code. I know that this is not everyone who receives a promo code. But I find I trust reviews by users here less and less these days because of this.
Don't be too harsh on the reviews here on the forum. I do agree that promo codes can intentionally or unintentionally impact comments here, but for me, I try to take everything into consideration. For me, I tend to provide pretty honest impressions regardless of whether I received a promo code. People just need to remember TA is resource among many. On that note, a promo section could work, but as with anything, it needs to moderated to prevent it from getting out of hand. People tend to take without thinking so you want to make sure the devs actually get something out of it.
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY/USA
Posts: 2,409
Say it the way you play it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
I also tend to ignore many of the reviews given by promo code recipients. I think a lot of people give a more positive and less harsh review when they have received a promo code. I know that this is not everyone who receives a promo code. But I find I trust reviews by users here less and less these days because of this.

Just to restore a little of faith in us here a TA you can check out the review done on the word game Wrangle! here in this thread. The dev gave me a free promo code. There's a few of us left who will say it like it is.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=7952
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
No, no and no.

The forums exist primarily for discussion, methinks.

If we create a separate promo forum, that lessens the chances of honest reviewers to get a code because guests and freeloaders will hog the hell out of it.

Developers are getting smarter these days and not putting PROMO CODE GIVEAWAY on their thread titles. Promo code calls are hidden in their posts only for those who at least like to read.
ya then people would just hold reload down and not participate in the forums. Not saying that i wouldnt
03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 193
I think having a rule that Promo Code giveaways, that are just lists of promo codes, are not allowed. This section should be for those Promotions that require people to take some action to receive the code. The Lists of codes don't need to have any exposure time because all the codes are gone within a few minutes. The others do need the exposure to be of any good effect for the Dev.

| Jon Wheat | BitCaper |Twitter
Games: Block Knights, S.C.U.D.
See what people are saying about Block Knights here, here, here and here
Check out our development podcast for S.C.U.D.
03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
This Promo section should only be accessible by users with 100+ posts. That way all those lurkers won't keep stealing the codes.

What do you think?

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
This Promo section should only be accessible by users with 100+ posts. That way all those lurkers won't keep stealing the codes.

What do you think?
It's a start...

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal