★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Infinite Sands
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 10.2 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 3.5 (4)
App description: What happens when Robotron meets Bomberman?

"10 word review: Hard, fast, strategic, pure. Intense. Fantastic retro experience. Not casual!" --ArcadeLife Review

Coverfire is a classic, arcade-style action game in the vein of Targ and Crossfire. Zip from grid to grid while dodging bullets left and right! Watch out from above! Fire back in four directions!

Don't fall off the edge of your seat! Coverfire is here to remind you what HARDCORE gaming really means. This ain't no namby-pamby FPS. Coverfire will challenge you from beginning to end.

Compete for the high score with Game Center Leaderboards and Achievements!

Think you have what it takes? Here's your chance to prove it.

What customers are saying:

"Coverfire is one of the most, if not the most intense, addictive, retro arcade experiences on the i-devices."

"I still keep coming back to this. Particularly, since I could be playing Aralon or World of Goo or some other blockbuster."

"There are times when you just feel like you're hitting every shot perfectly and are unstoppable. I love that."

"The more you play this game the better it gets and you begin to realise there are a lot of tactics to this game"

"I had to stop due to sweating and shaking uncontrollably. What a fantastic game."

"Like many early 80s video games, this one is all about surviving and getting a high score. I won't lie to you, there's not much more to it than that. And therein lies the beauty and the instant addiction."

Praise for the webapp version:

"Coverfire does a great job at recreating the charming arcade gameplay from the old Crossfire game from the early 80's."
-JavascriptGaming.org

"An excellent game. It takes me right back to my old Atari 400. Ah, those were the days."
-anonymous (via JavascriptGaming.org)

"Thanks for the memories: last played this 30 years ago on Apple II."
-mnp (via CanvasDemos.com)

--==Achievements==--

#1 Game on CanvasDemos.com

Best 30 DHTML Games by CasualGirlGamer.com

Brought to you by Infinite Sands

thewiirocks's comments:

*****99 CENT iPad2 SALE! BUY NOW!*****
*****5 STAR ARCADE GAME WITH EDGE OF YOUR SEAT ACTION!*****

What our customers are saying...

"This is brilliant! Come on - BUY THIS GAME"

"Coverfire competently achieves what it sets out to do - repeatedly hand you your gaming pride in a bucket."

"I had to stop due to sweating and shaking uncontrollably. What a fantastic game."

"Loving this game. Boy does it test your reactions and planning."

"I feel again like when I spent the evening getting the millions playing defender on my atari."

"If you want the polar opposite of casual gaming, here it is."

"It's retro, hard, unforgiving, basic, starkly beautiful and very, very intense. And FUN. Don't forget fun."

"It is one of the most intense, addictive games I've ever played, and my gaming (non)life goes back to 1980. "

"This is one of those games where you can get in the zone. You just feel like you're hitting every shot perfectly and are unstoppable. I love that."

"I keep coming back to this, so that's a good sign. Particularly, since I could be playing Aralon or World of Goo or some other blockbuster. "

"The enemy speed vs. player character speed is tuned perfectly."

"This one is all about surviving and getting a high score. There's not much more to it than that. And therein lies the beauty and the instant addiction."

"The whole point of this game is that it is 100% full-on retro and proud of it."

"Maybe the thought of real hardcore arcade gaming on their iPad scares them. Come on you wimps, buy a real game for a change."

"The more you play this game the better it gets and you begin to realize there are a lot of tactics to this game"

"Coverfire is one of the most, if not the most intense, addictive, retro arcade experiences on the i-devices."

"I would throw my Wii under a bus to play Coverfire HD."

"I would rather eat my left foot than delete Coverfire HD from my iPad."

Homepage: http://www.infinitesands.com/ (Videos available)

01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Finally it has a thread! So, any first impressions?
I will buy it anyhow as soon as I get some time to play it (soon very soon!!).

-----
On GC I am FPEX

01-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Might pick this up I remember this back in the day gaming has gone all retro and I feel like a kid again
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I bought it early this morning (UK time), installing now... impressions as soon as I have any useful ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesusFish View Post
I like plenty of bad games, but I don't go around telling people they are good.
Arcadelife

GC - JohnT321
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Quick review - this is brilliant!

Only 3 people on the GC leaderboard, Howlingwolf, thewiirocks (naturally) and me as JohnT321.

Come on - BUY THIS GAME.

Seriously, this game is great. Deeper, more informative review to follow.

Quote:
Arcadelife

GC - JohnT321
01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Coming .....

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, i just took it. First impression is of an Hartford retro. Definitively one that capture how hard games were!! I only played two games but I feel this will be really a fun game once I remember how controls used to work.

I only have one complain ... Open feint and gamecenter just do not work for me ... Am I the only one.

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
@PlanetShooter - You have no idea how happy that makes me. I've been holding my breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
I only have one complain ... Open feint and gamecenter just do not work for me ... Am I the only one.
Do the interfaces pop up and ask you for logins? OpenFeint *should* interrupt you the first time you launch the game. You can always get back to it by tapping the icon in the corner.

The Game Center integration should ask you for your Game Center account if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, you should see the "Welcome back FPE" window at some point.

Can you open the Game Center app and check if Coverfire HD is listed?

What do you get when you cross Robotron with Bomberman? - Coverfire HD
01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Game centre lists the game but it has recorded no score.
Open feint tries to login and reports an error ... Saying I have no Internet connection that is not true.

Anyhow, this tracts nothing from the game!!
Do you have a YouTube link or similar to the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
@PlanetShooter - You have no idea how happy that makes me. I've been holding my breath!

Do the interfaces pop up and ask you for logins? OpenFeint *should* interrupt you the first time you launch the game. You can always get back to it by tapping the icon in the corner.

The Game Center integration should ask you for your Game Center account if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, you should see the "Welcome back FPE" window at some point.

Can you open the Game Center app and check if Coverfire HD is listed?

-----
On GC I am FPEX
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Game Impressions

First of all, I won't bother comparing this with the game(s) it is derived from. You either like/dislike those games already or you never heard of them.

This game is:

Fast
Hard
Fun
Deceptively simple
Addictive
Smooth
Exciting
Very retro looking

This game is not:

Casual
Forgiving
A dual stick shooter
Original
For people with slow reflexes
Going to win any awards for graphics

Like many early 80s video games, this one is all about surviving and getting a high score. I won't lie to you, there's not much more to it than that. And therein lies the beauty and the instant addiction. The graphics are clean, simple, 100% retro. There is no background, just a black space. Trust me, if there were pretty patterned floor tiles the game would not work. As it stands, you're mostly going to be dead before you see the bullet coming anyway.

Playing from a top-down perspective, your character/vehicle can move up/down/left/right along the paths of the grid. Both you and the enemies can only fire vertically or horizontally along the paths. The enemies start the game around the outside of the grid, occasionally moving into it to pursue you and try to shoot you. At any time, you can be vulnerable from all four directions.

The aim of the game is simple: Kill every enemy in a level and move to the next level. Each level has the same grid pattern, just increasing numbers and/or nastiness of enemies. Each encounter with an enemy is like a quickdraw contest, combined with a considerable amount of dodging. The second you relax in what looks like a "safe spot", that's when you are going to get shot.

You score points for killing enemies and also for collecting each of the four coloured diamonds that spawn near the middle of the grid. Each diamond spawns for a short period of time and then disappears. Once collected, the same coloured diamond won't respawn again on that level. For the diamond scoring system, refer to screenshot 3 in the first post.

You also have to frequently collect a randomly placed "reload" icon to replenish your ammo supply.

The grid doesn't cover the whole iPad screen (refer to screen images and the above video). In landscape and portait modes the layout changes to adapt to the orientation. In landscape, the right side of the screen contains the level, score & lives information while the controls are positioned slightly below the play area, which is a very good idea. Portrait shifts the score/lives info to the top of the screen, and the controls sit further below the grid (than in landscape mode) near the bottom of the screen.

The controls work well and (for me) are positioned and sized nicely for comfortable and effective use. The left control is a variation on the virtual D-pad and the right control is a 4-directional shooting pad. I have to say this, because others will demand it, an option to swipe anywhere to move would be a nice alternative to the left hand D-pad. Maybe something to think about for an update, but not essential.

Graphically it's hard to fault this game. Sure, it could be tarted up with all sorts of flashy sprites and particle effects but it doesn't need any of that and the whole point of this game is that it is 100% full-on retro and proud of it.

As for the way it plays, well, it's not at all forgiving. It starts fairly hard and just gets rapidly tougher. There's no tutorial, that would be silly. You learn by doing, not by being led safely through a few levels. Once you sharpen up your peripheral vision and learn to spot when enemies move into paths you will live a bit longer.

Ultimately, this game will appeal to the same people who like games such as Pac-Man (because it's a retro maze game), R-Type (because it's a hard retro game), Jeff Minter's recent universal Minotaur game (because of the whole retro thing) and most gamers who were actively gaming through the 80s. It could appeal to various people outside those niche groups, but I have a feeling they just won't take the chance, which is a shame really.

In conclusion, Crossfire competently achieves what it sets out to do - repeatedly hand you your gaming pride in a bucket. Openfeint and GC leaderboards and achievements are included and operational - for me anyway!.

Well done, great game, I wish you well with it. And I WILL beat your high score...

Quote:
Arcadelife

GC - JohnT321

Last edited by Planetshooter; 01-07-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: I tarted up my retro typing