What are the best Match 3 games for iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by keturner, Jan 8, 2011.

1. keturner

keturner New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I am a match 3 addict and have been wondering what others might list as their Match 3 favorite game on the iPad? There are many out there with various degrees of difficulties and stunning ( and not so stunning) graphics.

I'll start out by saying mine is The Treasures of Montezuma. It is like Bejeweled but better. I liked the fact that there is a lite version so you can try it out first to see if you really like it. Graphics are decent, game is fast and only offered in time mode. It has power ups and save mode but is not in Game Center/Leaderboards.

Anyone else like Montezuma or what is your favorite match 3 game on the iPad?

KT

2. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I agree about Montezuma. Love that game.

Puzzle quest is another great match 3 game
    I haven't played the ipad version though.

3. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Ancient Quest of Saqqarah and Heroes of Kalevala are also amazing on iPad.

4. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I prefer these two to Montezuma.

5. Mysfyt

Mysfyt Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I'm not a big match-3 nut, but I LOVE Saqqarah.

Wondering if/when Bejeweled 3 will make it to the iPad...

6. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Heroes of Kavala is my all time favorite together with Fishdom.

7. Psychocandy2010

Psychocandy2010 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I already have Heroes of Kalevala and enjoy the hell out of it. I thought about getting Saqqarah a couple of times. But there are about seven games each with different themes. Do all seven make up the full game or are the differences between them just cosmetic. Because I don't mind paying 59p for it but I do balk a little at paying 7 x 59p for the full experience.

8. Inked

Inked Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I've played and enjoyed all of the above on iPad but keep going back to 10 Talismans.

9. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
  10. mateofalcone

mateofalcone Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    #10 mateofalcone, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    I hadn't tried Saqqarah, but after these recommendations I looked to find the iPad version on sale for $3.99, and just a few minutes with it makes me very happy I grabbed it. If you don't want to spend $7, this version seems to be a combination of the other individual games. Its very good.

11. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Piyo Piyo Blocks 2, in addition to those mentioned. Azkend too, depending on how loosely you define Match-3.

In other news, the game I want to see released on the iPad is Clickr. It's on Steam for 10 bucks and it is surprisingly deep. Been playing over lunch break every day since it's launch.

12. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Wow, Clickr does look pretty nice. And apparently, they’re at least thinking about bringing it to the iPhone and the iPad.

I hope they do. Like Smiles, it’s got a rotation element that would work out perfectly on a portable device. And games like this are always better with a touch screen, anyway.

13. missalexis

missalexis Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I just discovered it as well. It's great, don't know how I missed it, will supplant Montezuma for me. Still, I'm hoping they bring Montezuma II to iPad.

Puzzle Quest 1 & 2 are probably my all-time favorite (casual) games so I have to mention those. :)

14. mrdyer1984

mrdyer1984 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It's way to boring to even type it in...
    Shrewsbury PA
    Not quite a match three, but Dungeon Raid is pretty good. Matching game with rpg elements. Granted its an iphone game, but doubled it still looks good.

15. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I've got family who are match 3 fiends (Me not so much) but I've heard they really liked Lamp of Aladdin.

16. Isadora

Isadora Member

Jan 8, 2011
    puzzle quest is defo my fav match 3 game on the ipad!

Puzzle quest is great! I loved it on the DS although if they ever bring out Cradle of Rome on the ipad I will be have to be surgically removed from my ipad,lol!:D

17. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    I'm surprised this didn't get mentioned straight away, absolutely agree here...

My first match 3 experience was zookeeper on ds, and whilst it's captivating to play these frantic against the clock(usually) games, I find puzzle quest adds a much needed meaning or "point" to the genre. It's such a deep and rewarding game and grows with you. Bejeweled is great fun, but for longevity, quality and enjoyment I chose puzzle quest over any other.

For anyone who has never played it but likes match 3 and the compulsive levelling up traits of RPGs, get puzzle quest..

18. Revlisoft

Revlisoft Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Puzzle Quest

19. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Well, PuzzleQuest is definitely a no-brainer. It's deeper than any of them, it adds significant new mechanics, it has a story, RPG elements, spells, upgrades, gear, multiple characters...I own it on every platform imaginable...

It's almost in a different class entirely. Not having played PQ in in the casual market is akin to not having played WoW on Mac or PC. lol

20. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Castlevania Puzzle: EOTN
    Heroes of Kalevala
    Jewel Quest
    Puzzle Quest 1, 2
    Treasures of Montezuma 1, 2