★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Games that ask for email addresses...

03-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Games that ask for email addresses...

I've noticed that there are a bunch of mob wars type games that ask for email addresses to increase your "crew" or mob or whatever. Whether it's email addresses or friend codes....what's the reason for doing this? Do they sell your email addresses, or do you get targeted for some sort of advertising or something? Or do they count on the incentive of "strength in numbers" and just figure this would be the easiest way to implement it? This was a big trend in facebook and myspace apps, and now it seems like it will be common for a lot of iphone games as well. Although, the way the AppStore is set up, by offering the games for free and having a huge user base, the devs might be onto something.
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah I'm sure they offer more in game currency to use email so they can get a lot of them and sell 'em to an advertiser. Best to create another email account on gmail (easy and free to setup) or whatever you prefer.
03-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Yup...i'm pretty sure they sell the email addresses to advertisers and stuff.

Solution: create another email...it takes two seconds...

Playing: Undead Vampire: 239404497/kiwi91@rocketmail.com MGS Touch, Let's Golf, G.I. Joyride, Space Ninja, Scoops, Textropolis, Hanoi, Agency Wars 5958, Watchmen, Flick Fishing, Light Jockey, GeoDefense, SkyForce Reloaded, Supermarket Mania, Zen Bound, Edge, Sway, 7 Cities, The Creeps!, iDracula, ExZeus, Tap Tap Revenge 2
03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
But it raises the question, are there any terms and conditions you must accept before playing it? Such as the agreement that they have the right to sell your email on?
03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishu View Post
Yeah I'm sure they offer more in game currency to use email so they can get a lot of them and sell 'em to an advertiser. Best to create another email account on gmail (easy and free to setup) or whatever you prefer.
thats what i always do, i just use it as a junk email..

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
I LOVE THE IPOTCH!!!!!!
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Get the perfect anti-spam email address:
http://10minutemail.com