★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

FYI Lima Sky Copyrighting Doodle!

01-10-2011, 09:45 PM
FYI Lima Sky Copyrighting Doodle!

I don't know how they can because it's a way to describe a game, and there are literally thousands of 'Doodle' apps.
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
You mean they're trying to TRADEMARK Doodle I assume. They're free to try, but I don't see that working out.

See Tim Langdell's "Edge" case.

01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
You mean they're trying to TRADEMARK Doodle I assume. They're free to try, but I don't see that working out.

See Tim Langdell's "Edge" case.
Oh hahaha sorry
01-11-2011, 12:22 AM
well, "Tower Defense" was successfully trademarked, so I'd say anything is possible. You never know, especially when a company is in good with Apple in this case..

01-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Having spoken to the Lima Sky folks at GDC last year, there not trademark trolls... They wont be trying to copyrighting the word "doodle" as a whole.

It'll be "doodle jump" and in relation to iPhone games + their similar branding... Which is fair enough as the amount of clones and duplicates with similar sounding names and very closely resembling icons is arguably damaging their brand, so I think it's fair enough them trying to prevent that...

Assyria Game Studio -(For Business Enquieries Click Here)

Get normally paid games for FREE at DailyAppDream.com - If any developers want to run a free promo on any of their games then check out the site (it's free)
01-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssyriaGameStudio View Post
Having spoken to the Lima Sky folks at GDC last year, there not trademark trolls... They wont be trying to copyrighting the word "doodle" as a whole.
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...3&postcount=12
01-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
well, "Tower Defense" was successfully trademarked, so I'd say anything is possible. You never know, especially when a company is in good with Apple in this case..
"Tower Defense" is waaaaaay more specific though. But go ahead and try to trademark "Tower" for use in games, or "Defense". It's not gonna go all that smoothly I guarantee it.
01-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygambit View Post
"Tower Defense" is waaaaaay more specific though. But go ahead and try to trademark "Tower" for use in games, or "Defense". It's not gonna go all that smoothly I guarantee it.
Well even trademarking TD is wonky. The erm has been used for eternity and you've had a good chance against it in court.

Fact is the hand out trademarks like cherry pops, and if you are a trademark holder you have to enforce it else you might loose it.

As for lima sky going after everything doodle. Thats just stupid and you can see what happens if you listen to the wrong people. He should have picked his targets more carefully, but at the end what do you expect, not everyone becomes nice when they become rich, they just get stupidly greedy.
01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
>>>As for lima sky going after everything doodle

well it's deffo happening.
we just had an email from them via Apple.
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Good for Lima Sky,

This free for all attitude of copying every concept that is doing well on iTunes needs to be looked at closer. Calling something doodle this or doodle that is one thing, but copying the style, execution and concept really is something entirely different. It also clogs up the store and originality doesn't get rewarded. It is time originality is rewarded not harvested.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,