★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Infinite Lives
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 17.9 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Ebb is a fast-paced, unique and artistic "bullet hell" shooter. Navigate your ship through several dangerous yet beautiful environments. A truly challenging and engaging game for all ages!

timo's comments:
Hi everyone, our latest game "Ebb" was just released on the App Store for iPhone and iPod touch. An iPad version will come later with better, higher-resolution graphics.

Please check it out, it's a really unique and interesting game, my favorite that I've made so far.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ebb/id412245103?mt=8

Youtube link | Pop Up
01-11-2011, 01:25 AM

01-11-2011, 01:26 AM
The gameplay shown in the video is not that of a Bullet Hell shooter, but good luck with the game. Way to get your work out there. Great name, too.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
01-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
The gameplay shown in the video is not that of a Bullet Hell shooter, but good luck with the game. Way to get your work out there. Great name, too.
Well, the gameplay is inspired by Ikaruga, so that may be where Timo is getting the "bullet hell" description. Unfortunately, without relative touch controls, your finger completely covers your "ship," making dodging (which is kind of key in a bullet hell) impossible. It's too bad, because otherwise the game is pretty cool.
01-11-2011, 01:36 AM
The collision area is really forgiving due to the "finger factor" -- dodging is definitely possible. The main influence was indeed Ikaruga, so the key idea is to remember the patterns of different colors and keep your finger there

You can also warp at any time to any place by simply tapping on the screen. It's a new version of "bullet hell" which is only possible on a touch screen, IMO.
01-11-2011, 01:37 AM
BTW this game is entirely procedurally generated -- the background scenery and enemy patterns and flows are different every time you play. So it should be infinitely replayable I think that's worth $0.99!
01-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
The collision area is really forgiving due to the "finger factor" -- dodging is definitely possible. The main influence was indeed Ikaruga, so the key idea is to remember the patterns of different colors and keep your finger there

You can also warp at any time to any place by simply tapping on the screen. It's a new version of "bullet hell" which is only possible on a touch screen, IMO.
I got killed within a few seconds every time I played and eventually gave up.
01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I got killed within a few seconds every time I played and eventually gave up.
Aww -- well if you give it a few more tries I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! Try to get out of traditional "shooter" mode -- you're not trying to avoid the enemy, you're trying to touch enemies of the same color. Try to warp around more to get out of tight spots (moving by dragging is not strictly necessary)

It's the only game I've made that I actually still enjoy playing, so I think that says something (I hope!)

Also, the soundtrack is professionally done by composer Jeff Ball and is totally awesome. ^^
01-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
Aww -- well if you give it a few more tries I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! Try to get out of traditional "shooter" mode -- you're not trying to avoid the enemy, you're trying to touch enemies of the same color. Try to warp around more to get out of tight spots (moving by dragging is not strictly necessary)

It's the only game I've made that I actually still enjoy playing, so I think that says something (I hope!)

Also, the soundtrack is professionally done by composer Jeff Ball and is totally awesome. ^^
I'll try again and report.

EDIT: I think my fingers are too big for this game.

Last edited by squarezero; 01-11-2011 at 01:59 AM.
01-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I think my fingers are too big for this game.
Steve Jobs says:

Just don't hold it that way.

Sent from my iPhone

Kidding aside, maybe I could make the glow around the finger larger for people with giant fingers like you Then you can see where you are & what your color is.