Cinematic Website Widget - Show off feedback, tips, tricks, etc.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by thewiirocks, Jan 11, 2011.

1. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Hi all!

I don't know how important your respective websites are to your marketing campaigns, but I've been enhancing mine in an attempt to snare any passersby that might be interested. As part of the effort, I created a webpage gizmo that displays customer feedback in a rather slick manner. The text fades and slides from the right at high speed, suddenly slowing down long enough to read, then picks up speed and fades and slides off the right of the screen. It's very cinematic.

It's probably easier to show you: http://www.infinitesands.com/

Look for the text, "What our customers say". You'll have a hard time missing it. ;)

My question is this: Do any of you have an interest in placing this widget on your own website? You could use it for tips, tricks, feedback, and other short (but important!) minutia. The widget is very small and loads after the rest of the site.

The reason why I ask is this: If interest does exist, I'd be happy to package up the widget and push it out for everyone to use under an OSS license. So if you are interested, please let me know! :)

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I do quite like it - that's a great idea you've had! Does it play nice with Blogger? Would definitely love to have this on my page :) I've got a bunch of great quotes on our game but they are all clumping up at the bottom and this might actually get them looked at. Also could the text be (dynamically) clickable?

3. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Dunno. Does Blogger allow custom Javascript files? If so, then it probably will be compatible.

I don't see why not. That would be a very easy feature to add. Right now the data is encoded like this:

Code:
    [{"text": "Some quote goes here"},{"text": "A second quote goes here"}]
    Those of you familiar with web technology may recognize that as JSON. Since JSON is such a flexible method of encoding data, we can enhance the data like this:

Code:
    [
    {"text": "Some quote goes here", "link": "reviews/somereview.html"},
    {"text": "A second quote goes here", "link": "http://www.toucharcade.com"}
    ]
    I could fairly easily add a conditional check that would make the text clickable if the "link" attribute is in the line of data.

Any other enhancements that people think would be useful?

4. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #4 thewiirocks, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Should I take the relative quiet to mean that developers here are not interested? :confused:

5. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #5 thewiirocks, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    Sorry headcase. Without some interest, I really can't spend time enhancing this. Yet I don't want to leave you hanging.

Here's a package that should allow you to setup your website with the features that already exists:

http://www.infinitesands.com/EyeCatchingQuotes.zip

Enjoy!

6. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    awesome I will play with it and get back to you. (probably won't have time to look at it for a few days as I am a little slammed w/ work right now)

Very much appreciate that you've shared this :)

7. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Good job with the code. Good work with it, definitely gonna be useful for some people :)

Always appreciate people sharing code.