★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Gem Attack (Super Puzzle Fighter Clone) - Playmesh

01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Gem Attack (Super Puzzle Fighter Clone) - Playmesh

http://itunes.apple.com/app/gem-attack-by-playmesh/id393050661?mt=8

Play Gem Attack on your iPhone or iPod Touch for FREE!

Gem Attack is a falling block game. The objective of the game is to fill your opponent's board with Garbage by sending attacks. Attacks are sent whenever you place an Attack Cube next to a gem of the same color. When this happens, any adjacent like-colored gems will explode, sending an attack to the opponent. Larger explosions send larger attacks, so try to build large groupings of like-colored gems so you can explode many gems at the same time.

You lose when your board fills up to the top. You win if your opponent's board is filled to the top.

There are two ways to play Gem Attack: online play or the offline story mode. At first, only 2 starting characters are playable. The rest of the characters must be purchased for use in online play, or unlocked by playing through the story mode.

Can you unlock all of the characters?

FEATURES:
- Chat with other players in the live lobby chatroom.
- Amazing visual effects and animations.
- Immersive music and sound effects.
- Track your progress with player stats.
- Gain experience with every game you play.
- Integrated access to PlayMesh's network to add friends, contribute to forums, and private message your friends.

anyone try it out yet? tried searching the forums to see if anyone has written about it but to no avail. i think it's a pretty decent clone of puzzle fighter, and the only one i've been able to find for iOS.

anyone know of any other good SPF2T iOS clones?

Last edited by bluermlou; 01-11-2011 at 10:16 PM.
01-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluermlou View Post

anyone know of any other good SPF2T iOS clones?

Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night. Excellent Super Puzzle Fighter II mechanics.

Are you the developer of this game by any chance?

Last edited by New England Gamer; 01-11-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add quote so post actually makes sense

01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll be honest, I'm not a playmesh fan, but this does look pretty good. Waiting for impressions first.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM
It's pretty good actually.

1. It's free and the IAP is totally optional (just unlocks characters that you can unlock yourself by playing through single-player story)

2. It's free and it's a real PF clone

3. It's free and the graphics are clean, get the job done, and not terrible by any stretch. In fact, sometimes good

4. It's free and you can play online vs. other live players

5. The control buttons are a bit weird. I prefer Encore of the Night where you swipe to move, tap to rotate and swipe to drop. But you can prob get used to it.

I'd try it out. What do you have to lose other than... well, your self-respect I guess.
01-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Game Impressions

Not sure why all of touchArcade isn't wetting themselves about this game, but it is a very faithful translation of Puzzle Fighter. Huge selection of unlockable characters, each with their own drop pattern, big blocks, chains, counter garbage, KOs, all just like PF. If you are an IAP hater, do research, but it's no big deal. Delete it, if you don't like the business model. I do agree with chespace RE: controls; they are unnecessarily cumbersome, but you get used to it.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
01-12-2011, 02:18 AM
I agree that the App Store could use a Puzzle Fighter clone (or port would be even better) and I'm glad that someone decided to make one. That being said, it looks really shady when PlayMesh sends an obvious shill with a detailed post about the game and then asks at the end "oh, has anyone played this?" I mean c'mon, we're not stupid. It'd be fine if he just said he's a PM rep and wanted to announce the game.

Having played it, I can see the IAP being a huge turnoff to people. I understand that developers need money, but charging $100 for a single character is really ridiculous. (Yes, I'm dead serious. The last character is $99.99 by default.) Even if I assume that all of the characters become $1 after the discount (no, you cannot fully unlock them through single-player), it's still really expensive for a lesser clone of a puzzle game. The ads are on the intrusive side too, so I really hope that those are removed when someone purchases an IAP.

Last edited by Dazarath; 01-12-2011 at 02:21 AM.
01-12-2011, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
I agree that the App Store could use a Puzzle Fighter clone (or port would be even better) and I'm glad that someone decided to make one. That being said, it looks really shady when PlayMesh sends an obvious shill with a detailed post about the game and then asks at the end "oh, has anyone played this?" I mean c'mon, we're not stupid. It'd be fine if he just said he's a PM rep and wanted to announce the game.

Having played it, I can see the IAP being a huge turnoff to people. I understand that developers need money, but charging $100 for a single character is really ridiculous. (Yes, I'm dead serious. The last character is $99.99 by default.) Even if I assume that all of the characters become $1 after the discount (no, you cannot fully unlock them through single-player), it's still really expensive for a lesser clone of a puzzle game. The ads are on the intrusive side too, so I really hope that those are removed when someone purchases an IAP.

I guess the price is more a joke than anything else...

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post

Oh FFS man i was a fan of the game and just wanted to post about it (since it seemed like it was missed here on the forums on its initial release date) and you want to call me a shill?

You have a lot of damn nerve.

everyone else, i hope you're enjoying the game. Dazarth, karma is a _ _ _ _ _.

Sincerely,

NOT a shill.
01-14-2011, 10:28 PM
this game is awsome puzzle fighter clone be nice to be able to buy it without ads, and seriouslly one the characters is $99.99 and 49.99 thats just stupid.

another thing it crashes all the damn time, so anoying probably a memory leak from all the ads.
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionaltool View Post
this game is awsome puzzle fighter clone be nice to be able to buy it without ads, and seriouslly one the characters is $99.99 and 49.99 thats just stupid.

another thing it crashes all the damn time, so anoying probably a memory leak from all the ads.
what device are you running it on? I'm on an iphone 4 and haven't gotten any crashes..

the prices for the other characters actually go down as you play through the story mode of the game, from the ridiculous (99.99) to reasonable (.99, 1.99, etc...)

admittedly though, i've gotten all the way up to unlocking dino for net play, and yes the last two characters are still at 49 and 99 respectively. stupid indeed.