★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: First "bad" use of DLC.

03-26-2009, 03:57 AM
First "bad" use of DLC.

So I was reading the "Don't Be A Fatty" description and when iDevice 3.0 comes out, there will be a new version that will include special items through DLC that will help you raise your score.

I am not about to pay for items to help me increase my score on a video game

Unfortunately there's people out there who will.

Make in-game purchases of special items, enhancing your top scores.

Ethan, I just lost a lot of respect for you as a developer.

Note: I've said in this thread but people have seem to miss it. I am not against DLC per se. I love DLC because it gives me more levels/more puzzles, etc. I am against this particular use of DLC where $$=higher scores on a leaderboard. Come on devs, you can do better than that!

Don't check this site or private messages often.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-26-2009 at 09:31 PM.
03-26-2009, 04:00 AM
Seems to me that kinda stuff is already out with those iMafia type games ( which I dont play at all so could be wrong ) but I see respect points for sale I believe or poker games which offer fake chips for cash ( which is mind boggling to me personally that anyone would pay )

But ya it stinks either way.

Paying for actually game content that adds new gameplay and a hefty dose of it compared to the full game is one thing paying for dumb things is another.

03-26-2009, 04:01 AM
This is definitly NOT what Apple intended from this feature. I'm positive it was an attempt to stop all these different variations of the same App, such as ebooks.
03-26-2009, 04:28 AM
So you buy your score? Hey, why don't we make it in sports as well - auction on who gets the first place?

DLC can be good, it seems like this developer doesn't know how to use it.
03-26-2009, 04:42 AM
I hope (since Apple said they need to approve DLC like Apps) Apple won't accept this type of DLC. Or the devs change their minds from all this hate coming from it.
03-26-2009, 04:43 AM
Considering you have NO idea of the actual implementation of this DLC, don't you think it's a bit premature to talk about your loss of respect?

It's possible the DLC would be different food items of higher values both positive and negative.
03-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Buying benefits is something that is very big in Asia. Many popular games allow players to use Micro-transactions to buy power-ups/better kit - thus making the richest player the best. There seems to be a big cultural difference between Asian and the west in this respect. In the west people want to win by being good rather than by buying success.

Dan Marchant - Biz Dev Bloke Strawdog Studios
Turbo Duck for iPhone/iPod Touch.
03-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Who didn't see this coming?
03-26-2009, 04:57 AM
So where's the dev to answer about this? Unless I'm mistaken, isn't he on this forum?
03-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Considering you have NO idea of the actual implementation of this DLC, don't you think it's a bit premature to talk about your loss of respect?

It's possible the DLC would be different food items of higher values both positive and negative.
Read the bolded part in the first post. It's word for word what the description has. He specifically mentioned DLC and higher score in the same sentence.

Don't check this site or private messages often.