★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Two Worlds II Castle Defense is a strategy game set in the high-fantasy universe of Antaloor. Defend imperial commanders by enlisting and managing Emperor Gandohar's imperial forces. Employ a range of units to defend imperial interests, including Swordsmen, Archers, and Priests.

Emperor Gandohars stronghold at Oswaroth has been threatened by encroaching Orc armies. Take command of your troops and lead them into battle against the enemy horde! Unraveling events will lead you on the search for Maliels Thrones, ancient artifacts sought after by Emperor Gandohar in his endless, ever-darkening quest for power.

LITE VERSION
==============
- Use the Hero's special abilities
- 6 Unique Playable Units, Each Upgradable to 8 Levels
- 35 Different Enemy Units, 9 Distinct Classes
- Advanced Unit Management Including Stealth and Teleportation
- Supports up to 50 Units Simultaneously On-Screen
- HD Character Models
- Rich 3D Environments
- Rejoin Beloved Characters and Locations From Two Worlds II
- Remastered Musical Score From Two Worlds II

TECHNICAL FEATURES
===================
- Dynamic Character Shadows
- Full Day and Night Cycle
- Fullscreen 4x anti-aliasing on the iPhone
- Up to 50 Units Simultaneously On-Screen
- HD Character Models
- Rich 3D Environments with static lighting
- Advanced particle system
- Environment effects such as fog, desert storm and heavenly rays

FULL VERSION
==============
- Campaign Locations Include Desert Ruins, Forest Camp, Cemetery
- Arena Challenges Allowing 5-10 Minute Skirmishes
- Storyline Foreshadowing Gandohar's Rise and the Events of Two Worlds II
- 2 Playable Characters Each With Unique Special Abilities
- 6 Playable Units Each Upgradable to 8 Levels
- 98 Different Enemy Units and 30 Distinct Classes
- Advanced Unit Management Including Stealth and Teleportation
- Rejoin Beloved Characters and Locations From Two Worlds II
- Remastered Musical Score From Two Worlds II
- OpenFeint with leaderboards and achievements

======================
VISIT: http://www.twoworlds2.com/cd
FOLLOW: http://twitter.com/#!/Reality_Pump
LIKE: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Worlds-II-Castle-
Defense/118209048251454
WATCH: http://www.youtube.com/user/RealityPump?feature=mhum

Artfoundry's comments:

I can't believe no one posted about this yet (or else I missed it). This is a great TD game - similar to Dungeon Defense, but with twice the units and more than twice the upgrades. Three times the number of special skills too. Great graphics, animations, sound, menus.

There are only a couple things wrong with it, but I think theses can be fixed.
First, while it does support multitasking, it doesn't save - so while it will keep your place if you just return to the desktop, if you fully quit the app or restart your device, you'll lose your progress. That's a pretty major issue, and I really hope it's not an issue in the full version (and it would be really nice if they fixed it in this trial version).

Second, the units don't show their ranges. This is kind of odd, given that pretty much every other TD game shows a unit's range. Hopefully they'll fix this too, though I can't say it's absolutely necessary.

Third, the first time I returned to the game after pausing and exiting to the desktop, there was no sound. I tried reproducing the bug, but couldn't. So it could have just been a system memory issue. Hopefully it's not a bug in the game.

Anyway, full game isn't out yet, but if they fix the issues above, and the price is right, I'll definitely be buying this.
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. Not much of a TD fan, but this looks interesting.

01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Agreed. Also, I love the Two Worlds setting.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
01-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Agreed. Also, I love the Two Worlds setting.
I never played the 1st (though I heard it wasn't very good), but I've been following the development of the 2nd - it seems intriguing.

Game Designer, Web Developer, Jack-of-all-trades
www.artfoundry.com
Gamecenter ID: Delerium
Alt TA: LCDDreams
01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow, just discovered that there are two unit strategy buttons as well - teleport and Conceal/Reveal (I saw these in the description, but didn't figure out what they were or how to use them till today). Teleport allows you to move a unit from one spawn point to another (or swap two units). Conceal allows you to hide a unit so it doesn't fight (so it can sit and heal). Both are very cheap to use, so I assume you can use them as much as you want. Pretty cool strategic additions.

www.artfoundry.com
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Thanks for the tip. Not much of a TD fan, but this looks interesting.
I like TD games, but I tend to get bored of them fairly quickly. So far, this is one of the most interesting TD games I've seen.

www.artfoundry.com
01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
I like TD games, but I tend to get bored of them fairly quickly. So far, this is one of the most interesting TD games I've seen.
I have only two complaints so far:

1) sometimes it's tough to select a unit in the thick of battle (thankfully you can pause the action and heal, resurrect, etc).

2) I can't get past the 8th wave of the first chapter. That is most likely because I suck at TD games.

Otherwise, this is pretty much the kind of game I'd hoped Lord of the Rings would be (but wasn't). It's a TD, but it feels like a real-time tactical RPG. The graphics and animation are quite good, and as Artfoundry mentioned there are some really neat abilities that give you a lot of control over your units. The really striking thing for me, though, is how fast the game is -- it's the first TD I've played where I'm not even tempted to hit the fast-forward. Not sure what big TD fans will make of this, but I'm definitely impressed.
01-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm really not a big fan of tower defense games. I tried the demo and I found
it to be really fun! It does not seem like a tower defense game to me. Being able to teleport allows for interesting strategy. If my guys could hold their own, I then worked on building up the next powerful warrior and then teleported
him in place of the weaker unit. Also switching out units came in handy to heal
ones when I was low on funds.

I will pick this one up for sure!
01-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I have only two complaints so far:

1) sometimes it's tough to select a unit in the thick of battle (thankfully you can pause the action and heal, resurrect, etc).

2) I can't get past the 8th wave of the first chapter. That is most likely because I suck at TD games.

Otherwise, this is pretty much the kind of game I'd hoped Lord of the Rings would be (but wasn't). It's a TD, but it feels like a real-time tactical RPG. The graphics and animation are quite good, and as Artfoundry mentioned there are some really neat abilities that give you a lot of control over your units. The really striking thing for me, though, is how fast the game is -- it's the first TD I've played where I'm not even tempted to hit the fast-forward. Not sure what big TD fans will make of this, but I'm definitely impressed.
Yeah, the game seems to start out pretty easy, but then gets much more difficult at higher levels/waves. The instructions also say that if you have more gold in your coffers (ie. you're not spending it), the orcs will come more frequently.

I also noticed the issue of selecting a unit when it's in battle and there are multiple units around. You CAN zoom in though (with pinch), so that may help, and of course, you can pause.

And I agree about the LOTR - I was just thinking that earlier, that this is what I would have wanted for that game. That game is just boring and poorly balanced, not to mention that TD just isn't a very good game type for much of the story, especially if the enemy units aren't going to attack your units.

www.artfoundry.com
01-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Just finished the demo. It was tough, but satisfying finally figuring out a good strategy that worked! I think my final score was 135337 as it did not seem to save it.

Love the game!