★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Nordlysa
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 12.9 MB
  • Version: 2.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Warning: This game requires 2 players. You can't play alone. It is also NOT a classic game of chess

Ninja Chess is chess without turns!

Easy to understand but hard to master, a perfect mix of fast-paced action and classic strategy.

Play head-to-head on a single iPad or using Bluetooth on two iPhones (or iPod Touches) !

The rules are simple:
- You can move many pieces at the same time.
- Once a piece has moved, it takes a small amount of time before it can be moved again.
- Capture your opponent's king before he captures yours!

This game does not require good chess skills at all! Anyone who has ever played chess can pick up instantly. It's one of the most fun and entertaining variant of chess by far.

NB: This game is a remake of Kung-Fu Chess by Shizmoo Games but I am in no way affiliated with Shizmoo Games. Only standard and fast modes are available for now.

Taum's comments:
Hello everyone,

I am the developer of Ninja Chess and I would like to show you my game!

It is a "Real-Time Chess" game where most of the rules of Chess apply, except for a major twist: There are no turns! Instead, you can move as many pieces as you want simultaneously but they take some time to move and are then frozen for a few seconds. The first to capture opponent's king wins the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoominator (App Store review)
Who would have thought that if chess had no turns it would be so awesome. This game keeps you on your feet. Don't miss out!!
[...]
It's almost not like chess, so as long as you know how each piece moves it should be a breeze. However even if you don't know how they move, it still shows where u can move.
Features:
- Play Head-to-Head on iPad
- Use Bluetooth/GameCenter with 2 iPhones or iPod Touches
- Normal and Fast game modes (in Fast mode pieces move instantly)
- Game length: about 1 minute on average.

You can see a gameplay video and more infos on my website:
http://nordlysa.com/ninjachess/

Please note that you will need two players for this game as you can't play against the computer at the moment

Link to the AppStore:
Ninja Chess
Ninja Chess Lite (Free Version, iPhone only)

Please give me your feedback and take a moment to write a review on the App Store if you like it! That would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshots:
iPhone:

iPad (head-to-head):
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Looks good!

01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Interesting idea. You say player v player only at the moment. Does that mean you plan on adding AI in the future? Quite a challenge I guess having looked into the difficulties of standard chess AI for a previous employer.
01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Kung-Fu Chess is frickin' awesome and this looks to be a similar design, which is a compliment. This will own.

OMG, it's universal!!!

/insta-bought

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 01-12-2011 at 07:14 PM.
01-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
Interesting idea. You say player v player only at the moment. Does that mean you plan on adding AI in the future? Quite a challenge I guess having looked into the difficulties of standard chess AI for a previous employer.
Not as much of a challenge as an AI for Go, however.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Kung-Fu Chess is frickin' awesome and this looks to be a similar design, which is a compliment. This will own.
Yes! I've always been a big fan of Kung-Fu Chess, but it seems to be dead now (and it was IE-only... duh).

I'm hoping we can give this concept a new birth on iOS
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Tried it out last night and it's pretty win. Be sure to note that you can speed it up. It seems to be modeled just after the core KFC mode, which is fine. No one was online to play against, but I'll try again this weekend. You can play a normal two-board game locally. There are a few different board graphics, if anyone cares. Will try to report back after trying an online game, but I'm happy with it so far.

01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
]You say player v player only at the moment. Does that mean you plan on adding AI in the future? Quite a challenge I guess having looked into the difficulties of standard chess AI for a previous employer.
Quite a challenge indeed. To be honest for the near future I'm more interested in developing the player vs. player part since as a player I've always been drawn to multiplayer games.

I think if I ever get to work on an AI, it will be in the Starcraft 2/League Of Legends style where it's implemented for allowing beginners to practice but the AI always looses to more experienced players.