★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Battlespell is a duel-card game based in a fantasy world. You choose your
own Kingdom, the deck to play with and a personal Hero. You can win by
getting your Hero's Energy to 100 or by smashing your opponent's Energy to
0. Each Hero has his resources to fight with - mine, magic and camp, which
bring you respectively gold, manna and recruits. The Heroes also have unique
skills which they can use once per match. Of course, you will need some
resources to play a card and each card has unique effects. There are special
Unit cards in the decks which stay on the stage and fight with your
opponent.

The Story:

In the world of Nysenia, the Humans of Ardania and the Undead of Mordena
have been at war for many, many centuries. During their last ferocious
battle in the Bras Plains, they used enormous forces against each other. The
conflict shattered the land and the impact was so huge that it threatened
the existence of the entire world. Magicians from the Hidden Kingdom
Lorelight decided to intervene and stop the madness of the raging kings.
Their wizard leader - Elnan Wise Wand, teleported himself in the center of
the battle. And there, all by himself, he cast a spell with an unseen power
- it petrified everything in hundreds of miles. He managed to put an end to
the battle but he paid for this with his own life as the spell drew all the
energy from his body. All of a sudden, the vast battleground became still
and silent. The echoes of the war were not to be heard anymore. Only the
speechless statues of thousands of warriors remained there. Both the
kings of the Humans and the Undead were awed by the power of the spell. The
sudden ending of their armies left them flabbergasted. The loyal followers
of the magician Elnan sent them a message to let them know of the great
sacrifice of the wizard leader, and that Lorelight would not tolerate any
more this war. The Kings had no other choice but to end the war and sign a
peace treaty. However, they had to find another outlet for their boundless
hate for each other. This is why they decided to declare the BattleSpell
tournament - their presumably legal and civilized way to continue fighting
in the small barren territories near the Petrified Battlefield. All Heroes
across the world are welcome to join the fighting forces of the Kingdoms and
show their strength in the tournament!
Let the battle begin now!

Artfoundry's comments:

This looks intriguing, but can't really tell how it's played, as in, if it's more of a Magic style game with resources and depth or more of an Urban Legends type of game meant for just quick battles.
01-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Looks interesting but from the pictures it doesn't look like you can customize your deck but rather you just pick a preconstructed deck. This is just the conclusion I draw from the pictures and description. I really hope I'm wrong as I would rather be able to build my own decks.

Edit: I found a video of the gameplay, I think this is the pc version in the video. I decided to TOFTT and I will report back if anyone cares.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by ojtitus; 01-12-2011 at 08:27 PM.

01-12-2011, 08:30 PM
oh i care. awaiting impressions!
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post

This looks intriguing, but can't really tell how it's played, as in, if it's more of a Magic style game with resources and depth or more of an Urban Legends type of game meant for just quick battles.
It looks like a variant of Strongholds

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-12-2011, 09:21 PM
So this game appears to be made to play online as I only have access to one deck and one hero for each of the two kingdoms. I currently don't have access to wifi so I can't tell you much more than my limited access allows me. There is the option to choose from two kingdoms with three heros each and three pre-constructed decks each. Yet I only have access to one of the three heroes and one of the three decks for each kingdom.

I have played two games so far and have won one game and lost the other both playing the same kingdom. Gameplay is very similar to strongholds but with unit cards and a little more variety. Neither winning or losing gained me anything. I hope there is more to this game once I get a chance to get wifi access tomorrow. Overall a fun experience so far and I hope it gets better after accessing wifi.

Also take notice of the word "beta" above BattleSpell on the title screen(pic #1)

Last edited by ojtitus; 01-12-2011 at 10:00 PM.
01-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Looks like the quest for better "Orion"-sic (or MTG-sic if you perfer) game continues...

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
01-12-2011, 11:11 PM
i was thinking about picking this up anyways. but i already got burnt once today. so, i think i'll just play orions a little bit. maybe later ill get it if some people say its good, but lately its better to just play the games i already have and i know are good, rather than leap without looking on an unknown one.
01-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
So this game appears to be made to play online as I only have access to one deck and one hero for each of the two kingdoms. I currently don't have access to wifi so I can't tell you much more than my limited access allows me. There is the option to choose from two kingdoms with three heros each and three pre-constructed decks each. Yet I only have access to one of the three heroes and one of the three decks for each kingdom.

I have played two games so far and have won one game and lost the other both playing the same kingdom. Gameplay is very similar to strongholds but with unit cards and a little more variety. Neither winning or losing gained me anything. I hope there is more to this game once I get a chance to get wifi access tomorrow. Overall a fun experience so far and I hope it gets better after accessing wifi.

Also take notice of the word "beta" above BattleSpell on the title screen(pic #1)
Hmm, that's too bad - I got bored of Strongholds after a little while. I prefer the Magic style of TCGs. Thanks for posting the vid and comments.

Game Designer, Web Developer, Jack-of-all-trades
www.artfoundry.com
Gamecenter ID: Delerium
Alt TA: LCDDreams
01-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Hello,
Online access gives you only the opportunity to store your scores and show them to the world.
We plan to release an updated version with the other decks and heroes unlocked.
Right now you cannot customize your deck, this is planned for future release too.

Our web-version beta is coming soon also. It will be with more features than the iPhone/iPod touch version released, including multiplayer and customizable decks.

Can you please show me a link to the Strongholds game you mention?
In iTunes i found only one strategy (non card) game with this name http://itunes.apple.com/app/strongholds/id313535876?mt=8

Thank you for the feedback!
01-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlespell View Post
Hello,
Online access gives you only the opportunity to store your scores and show them to the world.
We plan to release an updated version with the other decks and heroes unlocked.
Right now you cannot customize your deck, this is planned for future release too.

Our web-version beta is coming soon also. It will be with more features than the iPhone/iPod touch version released, including multiplayer and customizable decks.

Can you please show me a link to the Strongholds game you mention?
In iTunes i found only one strategy (non card) game with this name http://itunes.apple.com/app/strongholds/id313535876?mt=8

Thank you for the feedback!
Hey Battlespell, that's it. While it might not be clear from the screen shots, Strongholds is a card game with a single communal deck.

It is the same basic premise of building your tower up to 60 or tearing your opponent's down to 0. Each turn you generate some 4 different types of resources to then power one of your cards that will either damage your opponent's tower, improve your tower, improve your resources, or mess with your opponent's resources.

You play a character that influences your initial resources but there is nothing like characters having unique once per game skills or the concept of unique units you can deploy onto the battle field.

There is also a game called Towerland which shares a lot of the same concepts albeit a bit more abstract.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews