★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Snoodio - Has Snoods finally hit the iphone?

03-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Snoodio - Has Snoods finally hit the iphone?

Hey Gang,

Snoodio just got released last night.

http://appshopper.com/games/snoodio

As a big fan of the original Snoods I'm curious...but then again won't just snag a game for nostalgic reasons and am curious what this game has to offer that wasn't already done better in games like Bubble Bash.

Any bold adventurers want to find out for me?
03-26-2009, 08:45 AM
"Customers say if you like snood, snoozle, bubble bash, bust a move, puzzle quest, bubble bobble, breakout, trism, snood deluxe, pocket god, bejeweled 2, tetris or topple 2,"

Name dropping for search there.

03-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markx2 View Post
"Customers say if you like snood, snoozle, bubble bash, bust a move, puzzle quest, bubble bobble, breakout, trism, snood deluxe, pocket god, bejeweled 2, tetris or topple 2,"

Name dropping for search there.
haha yea i dont like it when devs do that, it just clutters the search on appstore
03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I bought it.

FYI, it's accelerometer based. If that sounds appealing to you, I can recommend it because otherwise the graphics are nicely polished. There are sounds, background music, unlockable themes, and a few different difficulty modes.

As for me, I'm not crazy about tilt controls in general. I wish they had at least mentioned it in the description. Let this be fair warning to you all

PS, I've played Bubble Town, Bubble Bash and Snoozle. Snoodio is the nicest and closest Snood clone thus far, except for the controls issue. Bubble Bash did not impress me. I bought it a while ago, but it's gone now.

Last edited by HJJ; 03-26-2009 at 09:51 AM.
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I bought it.

FYI, it's accelerometer based. If that sounds appealing to you, I can recommend it because otherwise the graphics are nicely polished. There are sounds, background music, unlockable themes, and a few different difficulty modes.

As for me, I'm not crazy about tilt controls in general. I wish they had at least mentioned it in the description. Let this be fair warning to you all

PS, I've played Bubble Town, Bubble Bash and Snoozle. Snoodio is the nicest and closest Snood clone thus far, except for the controls issue. Bubble Bash did not impress me. I bought it a while ago, but it's gone now.
Do they add anything like the "Magic Snoods" or is it really just straight Snood? While the graphics were nice are there ever more than just the 5 rows or so on the screen?
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Do they add anything like the "Magic Snoods" or is it really just straight Snood? While the graphics were nice are there ever more than just the 5 rows or so on the screen?
Honestly, it's been a few years since I last played Snood, and I'm not sure I remember what "Magic Snoods" are. There appear to be something called "Ghosts" -- "As you level up in your Snoodio quest, you will encounter the 'ghosts'. These are grey eggs that will only vanish when you hook up 3 or more of the same eggs that are attached to a ghost."

Here's something potentially interesting that I just noticed. There are 4 difficulty modes: Easy, Medium, Hard and Evil. I've just run through a quick Evil game, and it was identical (from what I could tell) to the Easy game I already played. It starts with two rows of "snoods" and even though this was "Evil," my danger level never got high enough that another row dropped (I eventually lost... but I also unlocked a theme at 1000 pts). I wonder if this could be a bug. I checked Medium and Hard, briefly, and they seemed to be the same too.

Something else of note: it seems that the controls only really work properly when the device is completely vertical. This is not the most comfortable position. You tend to want to hold the device at a slight angle, but the controls do not react kindly to angles.

Ugh, I'm disappointed. For $3, I've come to expect a little bit more. I'm pleased with the load time (especially compared to Bubble Bash), and the pleasant music and graphics, etc. etc. But I remain frustrated with the controls (and confused about the difficulty modes). This game definitely has potential though... if they work on the fundamentals.
03-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Honestly, it's been a few years since I last played Snood, and I'm not sure I remember what "Magic Snoods" are. There appear to be something called "Ghosts" -- "As you level up in your Snoodio quest, you will encounter the 'ghosts'. These are grey eggs that will only vanish when you hook up 3 or more of the same eggs that are attached to a ghost."

Here's something potentially interesting that I just noticed. There are 4 difficulty modes: Easy, Medium, Hard and Evil. I've just run through a quick Evil game, and it was identical (from what I could tell) to the Easy game I already played. It starts with two rows of "snoods" and even though this was "Evil," my danger level never got high enough that another row dropped (I eventually lost... but I also unlocked a theme at 1000 pts). I wonder if this could be a bug. I checked Medium and Hard, briefly, and they seemed to be the same too.

Something else of note: it seems that the controls only really work properly when the device is completely vertical. This is not the most comfortable position. You tend to want to hold the device at a slight angle, but the controls do not react kindly to angles.

Ugh, I'm disappointed. For $3, I've come to expect a little bit more. I'm pleased with the load time (especially compared to Bubble Bash), and the pleasant music and graphics, etc. etc. But I remain frustrated with the controls (and confused about the difficulty modes). This game definitely has potential though... if they work on the fundamentals.
Thanks for taking the plunge, I'll take a pass until there are some real updates.
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi there everyone! This is the developer of Snoodio :-)

In developing the game, I did some research and noticed that many people were asking for an accelerometer based version of Snood. That is why I made it accelerometer based.

However, with all of the feedback on this forum alone, I now know that I need to make an option to turn the accelerometer "On" and "Off"

I will work on that right now, as well as polish off some other aspects of the game mentioned in this thread.

I didn't want to add too much "like magic snoodios, etc.." for the first release, because I needed to make sure that the game is appealing first, then I can dig into my long list of updates and additions that I want to add to make the game more advanced.

I am also working on a "Trial Version" that will allow everyone to play Snoodio prior to purchasing. This version will allow you to play the first level, but you will not be able to save scores or unlock backgrounds.

Something else to mention about Snoodio that it appears didn't come across clearly, is that the difficutly level changes the progress of the danger bar.

For example, when you play on "Easy" - the danger bar goes down very slowly. Once it goes all the way down, a new row of Snoodios are added.

When you play on "Evil" it only takes a few shots without clearing any 3 Snoodios before the snoodio bar goes down dramatically.

I hope this helps clear things up :-)

Please keep posting your feedback here, and I will continue adding suggetions to my update list.

I will be updating this game on a regular basis to meet the needs of all the players!

Thank you everyone for taking a look at Snoodio!
03-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodio View Post
Hi there everyone! This is the developer of Snoodio :-)
I would have never guesed lol

Welcome!

Don't check this site or private messages often.
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that I am open to all suggestions and will always be around to constantly make new improvements to Snoodio to enhance gameplay.

If anyone would like to send me messages directly, please do so on Twitter.