★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

a (not to serious) question: what do you hate or love most when developing a game?

01-13-2011, 06:30 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 245
a (not to serious) question: what do you hate or love most when developing a game?

Hello fellow devs...

Because I'm currently bored to death here creating level after level for my next game I wonder what other developers hate most in the developing process? Beside zero sales?
Like written I dislike creating level's. Why? Because it is nothing new, simply no challenge. Pure craft. Nevertheless it is part of the game creation process and someone has to do it. In my one man company this is mostly the same person...me.

What I love most is new stuff! Developing a prototype based on a new idea. Or solving a complicated algorithm after days of research. Or seeing all the little parts coming together and forming a real game. These are the milestones that keep me going. Oh, and of course good sales and positive feedback - but this is not part of the game creation process.

Ok, lets move on...level #38 finished...62 to go... *sigh*
01-13-2011, 06:37 AM
#2
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,770
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
For me it's the thinking of the themes. And yeah, the level creation too some times. It's just so repetitive!

As for the themes, I sometimes just can't think of anything, until I think of it in the bus or something.

01-13-2011, 06:38 AM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 731
LOVE: Like FancyFactory proto-typing is the funniest part. A lot of stuff seems to come together quickly and you think you will finish the game in a week's time

HATE: Obscure bugs that seems impossible to solve for hours until you find that it's just some very minor detail that you should have noticed all along. Also: The fact that running a one-man-show means there's no one to share your smaller code-triumphs with...
01-13-2011, 06:42 AM
#4
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
HATE: Obscure bugs that seems impossible to solve for hours until you find that it's just some very minor detail that you should have noticed all along. Also: The fact that running a one-man-show means there's no one to share your smaller code-triumphs with...
100% agree. Mostly I have to annoy my wife with my "triumphs" - poor girl...
01-13-2011, 09:35 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 217
I love .

Designing the look of the game prototype...fun time.


I hate.

The debugging phase...when you have to play the same levels over and over...hell time.

Twitter: @realtech_VR
Visit realtech VR Facebook page.
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFactory View Post
Hello fellow devs...

Because I'm currently bored to death here creating level after level for my next game I wonder what other developers hate most in the developing process? Beside zero sales?
Like written I dislike creating level's. Why? Because it is nothing new, simply no challenge. Pure craft. Nevertheless it is part of the game creation process and someone has to do it. In my one man company this is mostly the same person...me.


Ok, lets move on...level #38 finished...62 to go... *sigh*

Wow.. What does that say about your game if you are bored to make the levels.. And what tells us that about the quality of the levels afterwards..

Leveldesign is not Pure craft.. If you think that you are doing it wrong.. In my corporate professional career i've been a leveldesigner for a decade and know hands on that actual ld is one of the most important aspects of a game.. What does it help you to have a clever game mechanic if the levels you employ them sucks...

Chanes are that if you play on pc you played some of the games i worked on.. seeing youre from germany..

Leveldesign (if your game has any) is the actual soul of a game because exactly there and no where else comes every tiny part of a game together.. Code, art, sound fused together into levels..

Rant over

What i dislike most are tedious dry stuff, like updating tracking tables, writing documentations etc. the burocracy of game developement
01-13-2011, 09:58 AM
#7
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
Wow.. What does that say about your game if you are bored to make the levels.. And what tells us that about the quality of the levels afterwards..

Leveldesign is not Pure craft.. If you think that you are doing it wrong.. In my corporate professional career i've been a leveldesigner for a decade and know hands on that actual ld is one of the most important aspects of a game.. What does it help you to have a clever game mechanic if the levels you employ them sucks...

Chanes are that if you play on pc you played some of the games i worked on.. seeing youre from germany..

Leveldesign (if your game has any) is the actual soul of a game because exactly there and no where else comes every tiny part of a game together.. Code, art, sound fused together into levels..

Rant over

What i dislike most are tedious dry stuff, like updating tracking tables, writing documentations etc. the burocracy of game developement
Mmhh, first of all you have for sure noticed that this thread is not meant serious. So there is no reason for ranting.
Another point is that, even when I dislike repetitive work (who likes this?) like level design, I'm absolutely aware that I have to deliver a quality work. So please dont judge until you have played the game. In fact the level design takes so long because I'm trying to come up with interesting and challenging stuff.
You are a level designer? Then I understand your point of view. I'm a developer and I wouldn't understand if someone comes and says coding is boring. But even if someone will do so I wont judge the quality of his code.
01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFactory View Post
Mmhh, first of all you have for sure noticed that this thread is not meant serious. So there is no reason for ranting.
Another point is that, even when I dislike repetitive work (who likes this?) like level design, I'm absolutely aware that I have to deliver a quality work. So please dont judge until you have played the game. In fact the level design takes so long because I'm trying to come up with interesting and challenging stuff.
You are a level designer? Then I understand your point of view. I'm a developer and I wouldn't understand if someone comes and says coding is boring. But even if someone will do so I wont judge the quality of his code.

well there is a smiley.. get the hint..

and what is a "developer" ... youre a programmer.. a developer is anybody involved in developement

and its more than natural if you are a programmer to like programming.. bummer ;D huh..

the artists like to make art and the musician the sounds ;D hehe

and yes i can judge the work from people if its a chore to them..
like i said i worked on quite some games in the past and i worked with alot of people and if there is no love and fun involved the results are usualy not
good.. thats just knowledge collected over years of chore

thats the same with art.. or any other segement.. if a programmer would be "forced" todo the art of the game.. it usualy end up ugly..
reality is a bit different because programmer somehow usualy like to create some of the ugliest dummy assets possible and a are very proud of that hehe... i've seen that a dozen times

again look at the smiley.. its not too serious.. if you need some ld help PM me i can forward you to a few colleagues, kein stress axel

----

back on topic.. another annoying work are artist who do not know the platform its restriction and to work with limited ressources.. technical design of assets is something most designer lack completly so you are always running after them to get things done properly..


the thing i actualy love most.. is seeing somebody play your game and having fun with it.. there is nothing more exciting to see sombody enjoy your work hands on.

Last edited by mr.Ugly; 01-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
#9
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 245
No offense => you stay true to your board reputation.
Ok, then I will alter my statement: I LOVE game development...the entire process...including creating levels. But I simply love creating levels less then programming. But its definitely no chore! Like said by yourself this is no surprise...I'm a programmer in first line.
01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFactory View Post
No offense => you stay true to your board reputation.
Ok, then I will alter my statement: I LOVE game development...the entire process...including creating levels. But I simply love creating levels less then programming. But its definitely no chore! Like said by yourself this is no surprise...I'm a programmer in first line.

so whats my board reputation.. that i'm not a sugar coater.. thats ok.. you don't get full fledged high quality rpgs produced in a year if you play balls..
being too long in the corporate either makes you getting a thick skin or drop you out..

i'm glad you now love level design makes me feel better about the quality if your work ;D hehe