★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Last Fish is a stylish black and white action game about the survival of a tiny fish in toxic water filled with goo.

Eat food, avoid goo, escape the shadowfish. Survive.

FEATURES
* Intuitive controls - tilt the device or use a controller!
* Stylish monochromatic Retina Display graphics
* Atmospheric soundtrack
* Simple and addictive game mechanics
* 45 levels and 5 arcade stages
* 3 star performance score on each level
* Game Center achievements and leaderboards

PRESS QUOTES
"Last Fish felt poetic in some ways." - DIYGamer

"Last Fish is a satisfying swim through a world of light and shadows." - Kotaku

"Within 15 minutes of downloading the game I was hooked." - AppAdvice

"Last Fish is proof that games can be artistic, and more importantly that artistic games can be fun." - TouchMyApps

GAME MECHANICS
Control the fish by tilting the phone/tablet. Alternatively you can also use a controller, Sphero or Dice+.

Eat food to gain health. Avoid touching goo as it decreses health. Complete the objectives but beware of the shadowfish.

LEVELS
In each level you have to complete one of four objectives: survive for a specified amount of time; quickly follow a trail of rings; clear checkpoints; eat food with caution to reach a specific amount of health. Every level is different, be it food quantity, goo quantity, speed, size, movement patterns, health lost rate, number and speed of shadowfish. All these combined make each level unique.

ARCADE
Survive as long as possible. Arcade starts with lots of food and some goo, but over time the food gets more rare and more goo appears. The fish also loses more health as time passes. Then appears the shadowfish. Survive, until the inevitable end...

pyrosphere's comments:

Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up
01-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Played the lite and it was pretty good. The controls are fantastic. I wish all tilt controlled games had controls this tight.

The 15 levels included in the lite had you "eating" light blobs (food) while avoiding black blobs (goo).
The missions included having to survive for x seconds, eating x amount of food, going through x number of loops. What concerns me is that you basically go through the same missions with increased requirements. The game mechanics are very enjoyable but mission objectives are repetitive. Is the full game much different? Does it have extra objectives or game modes that are not present in the lite version? What are the 5 Arcade stages? Game description is lacking in my opinion.

Some more info would be great. I want to get this game but I am concerned about the replay value and repetitiveness of Lite version's objectives.

Does full version have retina display support?

Icon is a window to game's soul...

01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, I made all the levels of the lite version in 15 min plus 8 min to correct five of them to three stars (accomplish the missions within a certain time). Very well balanced difficulty, maybe a bit too easy. There should be four or five stars with an even tighter time limit. Good controls. Nice collection of achievements.

Nice game. Love the abstract nature of the game. For me it's more an aerospace with positive and negative energy than a toxic water. Imagine it as a mixture of Tilt to Live and Osmos. I rarely recommend lite versions but if you have 20 minutes or so to kill just try it.

Other than that I have exactly the same questions on the full version like eugekava.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Game Impressions

Gorgeous game with superb controls. Not a single qualm here about getting the full version after playing the lite, as that alone gave me more enjoyment than the majority of "full" games I download. This is one of those games where the playing experience itself transcends any achievements, goals or objectives. Highly recommended.

EDIT: One thing I would like to see added is the ability to re-calibrate in the pause menu.

Last edited by Gabrien; 01-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Hello,

First of all thank you for playing Last Fish and for the feedback.

@eugekava

I understand your concern and you have a valid point.

The objective of the level gives it a different play style. However more than the objective itself each level has it's own characteristics: food quantity, goo quantity, speed, size, patterns, health lost over time, number and speed of shadowfish. All these combined give the level its own personality, which I tried to make unique for each level.

All 45 levels in the full version have objectives around the 4 present in the Lite version (survival, health, checkpoints, ring trail), so in the opinion of some it might get repetitive in the long term. Still, each level tries to different.

For example level 16 of the full version has checkpoints that spawn alternatively on the left and right side of the screen, with a fast torrent of goo on the middle. The fish has to pass through it several times to reach the checkpoints on the other side. While it shares the same objective as all other checkpoint level, its characteristics make it unique.

About the arcade mode, the objective is to survive as long as possible. It starts with lots of food and some goo. Over time the food gets more rare and more goo appears. Health loss over time also increases. Then shadowfish appears. In the end it can get quite difficult, until the inevitable end...

Each arcade stage has a different pattern for the goo and critical time. For example while the first arcade stage usually plays for around 5-6 minutes, the second is around 3-4 minutes.

The full version does not support retina display yet. Retina display and Game Center should be added in the next update.

@Habakuk
Thanks. The full version is harder, both to complete the levels and to reach the three stars.

@Gabrien
About the calibration, it is not very explicit, I'm sorry. The game gets auto-calibrated each time it goes into pause, so that the "neutral" position is reset each time the game starts.

Thanks all for the feedback, it's very appreciated. I hope you'll rate it and recommend it. It'd be very helpful.
01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Played the lite on my iPad. I really like the graphic style, and the control is excellent. I see the differences in the levels that the devistrying to create, although to be honest it still does feel repetitive.

However, I always like new concepts, and I'll be anxious to see how this app develops. Best of luck, and I hope it does well for you.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
01-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Ok, I am sold.
I am buying it and hope the Retina Display support is coming soon.

01-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Ok, I am sold.
I am buying it and hope the Retina Display support is coming soon.
I think you'd like to know the update to version 1.1 which adds retina display support and game center has been submitted for approval.
01-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosphere View Post
I think you'd like to know the update to version 1.1 which adds retina display support and game center has been submitted for approval.
Awesome. When you said its coming I didn't realise it was already on the way.
Thanks, pyrosphere. Good luck with the game.

01-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Awesome. When you said its coming I didn't realise it was already on the way.
Thanks, pyrosphere. Good luck with the game.
Update 1.1 of Last Fish has just been approved.