★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The iPhone 4 is CRIMINALLY underrated and a great handheld gaming system.

01-13-2011, 11:21 PM
The iPhone 4 is CRIMINALLY underrated and a great handheld gaming system.

It is obvious from other gaming forums that the iPhone is often ridiculed as a portable gaming machine. I believe that assumption to be erroneous. The following is a repost of a message I conveyed on another forum.

-Fair prices for games, generally ranging from $.99 - $6.99, sometimes up to $ 12.99 (Square releases, of course).
-Graphics that are probably at a similar level to the 3DS, and the resolution is a lot better due to the Retina display.
-The touch screen is responsive, and online multiplayer combat in Dungeon Defenders, Nova 2, Modern Combat 2, etc show that touch controls are not difficult to master.
-There are FREQUENT sales, with games typically off 33%, 66%, or even for free!
-You can listen to music at the same time as you game in most instances, or even talk on the phone and pretend to listen when your mom is calling you!

Many gamers' anti-iPhone stances are both anti-Apple and based on the preconceived notion that because there are no physical controls the game must be either difficult to control or dumbed down, which has been proven not to be the case.

The app store is full of fantastic games that are all under $9.00, most hovering around $1.99. They all control well and are intuitive:

Chu Chu Rocket (full port)
Infinity Blade (better looking graphics than anything the Wii has put out)
Soosiz (Mario platformer)
Plants versus Zombies (more fun with touch controls)
Monkey Island Games (the recent remakes, with full ability to switch between remake and classic graphics)
Monster (a personal favorite, overlooked. Similar to Plants vs. Zombies but much more active, with full shooting and swiping mechanics. Download it !)
Spider (unique platformer, gorgeous to boot)
Doom
Secret of Mana
Nova 2
Shadow Guardian
Modern Combat 2 (Note: Gameloft's "remakes" are professionally done, technically apt and with great graphics and lots of content. The dev teams are working wonder with the hardware and produce some magnificent looking games. 5v5 competitive gameplay is also found within the latter two titles. Some say they may lack 'soul', but I personally enjoy the B-grade dubbing and silly humor.)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (full port of PSP version, BETTER music)
Osmos (cool physics based puzzler. Look into it)
Doodle Jump
Death Worm and Super Mega Worm
Sonic 4 (Fun game, I bought it for $2.99 during a special sale and I found it worth the purchase. Not worth more than $5.00 though)
Undercroft (deep, long, and HARD dungeon-crawler, with stunning retro graphics and design)

Also, a special shout-out to Atomic Web Browser, it is $.99 but allows full tabs, full screen options, opacity of buttons, touch gestures, and importing of bookmarks. I can go on NGG, Reddit, Facebook, Gawker, etc while commuting to work and look up guides for the games above!
01-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I can not wait to see how this works out. Do you know who Omega-F and GDSage are?

Last edited by K?!; 01-13-2011 at 11:39 PM.

01-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Double post, sorry.
01-13-2011, 11:45 PM
y'all ready fo this? "da da da da da da da da HEY!"

sorry, I had to...

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.
01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
When you start listing ports from ooooooold games, C caliber games and Gameloft clones, you know you made an argument suicide. I mean listing Mega Worm, Nova, Shadow Guardian, Soozis as examples of "fantastic games"? C'mon, you can at least try.

The iDevices are good gaming platforms for what they are. But it's just doesn't make any sense for a gamer who looks for deep, immersive experieces with top quality gameplay (such as myself) to compare it to dedicated systems.

But if you truly enjoy your iPhone games, and not pretend to just like them, good for you!

Now Playing Broken Sword

Last edited by Omega-F; 01-14-2011 at 12:13 AM.
01-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I haven't touched my ps3 or psp since I got my itouch 2 years ago^, so no I don't pretend to like the games on the idevice. I would prefer to play one of my 600+ paid games on my iPod touch than sit down in front of my tv any day. I own many recent ps3 pickups since my brother still plays the ps3, and I don't see anything wrong with the OP including gameloft games on his list. I would rather play MC2 or Nova2 online than Black Ops multiplayer.

It's all preference, but I consider the idevice to be my favorite gaming device. It meets honestly every gaming need, and there are plenty of deep experiences in my opinion. This is coming from someone who grew up playing consoles..from the gameboy color to the ps3, owning every device by nintendo and sony in between. I completely agree that the idevice is terribly underrated and overlooked.

Last edited by backtothis; 01-14-2011 at 12:23 AM.
01-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Wow. I myself used to be an avid pc gamer, but ever since I got my itouch I rarely ever touch the computer anymore. Whenever I get a new game then yes, I play it but in the end it's always back to my good ol iPod.
01-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Quote:
I would rather play MC2 or Nova2 online than Black Ops multiplayer.
You find Nova2 more compelling than Black Ops. Ok..........

That's great, right? Like I said, if you truly enjoy the experience and not "pretend", then that's all that matters.

Now Playing Broken Sword
01-14-2011, 01:21 AM
>Graphics that are probably at a similar level to the 3DS

Are you kidding me? The iPhone graphics is way better than the 3DS.

iPhone: A4 (up to 1GHz) processor, 512MB RAM
3DS: 266MHz processor with 64MB RAM
01-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-F View Post
You find Nova2 more compelling than Black Ops. Ok..........

That's great, right? Like I said, if you truly enjoy the experience and not "pretend", then that's all that matters.
More compelling, but I am definitely not saying it's better. Don't get that out of what I said. I just can't find the time to sit down and play a console. On my iPod, I can grab some quick fps action with Archetype, MC2, or Nova 2 online when and where I want. Fragging noobs on Nova 2 in the middle of AP Biology is quite fun. Being a second semester senior in high school, I'll be doing that more often these days. The one thing that I do find superior on an idevice fps is the controls. Being able actually swipe the screen and aim feels so much more precise to me than dual sticks on a console controller. Once again, that's that just preference.